PDA

View Full Version : Diesel vs. Gas in town

toddman35
09-02-2000, 07:55 PM
I was wondering what you guys think on diesel vs. gas in town for a truck? thanks for the info

Bobby
09-02-2000, 09:17 PM
toddman
If you can afford the initial extra cost and plan on keeping the truck for at least a few years, the diesel is the way to go. But at around 5000.00 extra for the diesel, you'll need to do a lot of driving to see the value in it.
15 to 17 mpg pulling trailor with diesel.
7 to 10 mpg pulling trailor with gas.

WALKERMOW
09-02-2000, 09:37 PM
great advise bobby i have a ford diesel and love the power and milage compared to my old chevy 350

Cletus
09-02-2000, 10:27 PM
Do enny of yo fellers knows whar ah can find a diesel push mower???ahs hankerin one so when ahs cuttin long grass ah won't kill th engine when ah run on over a tire o a bicycle.Effn enny of yo fellers knows of one let me know!

landscaper3
09-02-2000, 10:34 PM
We have two 1997 Ford F350 with the powerstroke diesels they are both 4wd trucks with a Banks power kit 580 lbs tourque and 300hp and in the summer we can get 22mpg in city nothing in tow towing in summer drops 4mpg or more if your not throttling it, plus that banks kit sounds as good as it performes And boy can these thing plow snow!!

Stinger
09-02-2000, 11:49 PM
In the old days diesel trucks were meant to be left running all day long. The new models are more tuned to the frequent start and stop of everyday driving. If you can afford it and plan to keep it for the long haul then you're sure to benefit. I highly recommend the Ford Powerstroke, just ask any diesel mechanic and they'll probally agree. STROKE IT!

KirbysLawn
09-03-2000, 06:47 AM
Agree with the above posts, also resale value is much better with the diesel and you have a better warranty up front. The cost is $4400.00 difference.

John DiMartino
09-03-2000, 07:20 AM
I agree with al these posts,but just remember if you drive only 5 minutes between stops all day long,you might want to stick with a gasser.Diesels are heat engines and love to be run long and hard.This is where they will shine,with a load and running for enough time to keep the engine hot.The powerstroke is a good motor,but it is very hard to work on and it still uses a troublesome glowplug arrangemnet that requires replacement after a few years.Did I mention,keep your fuel filter clean,the powerstroke has a CATerpillar oil fired injection system that requires very clean oil,and fuel.These are 3000 for set of injectors,around 2500 for an injection pump.Warranty wont cover them if they are damaged from neglect or a bad batch of fuel.The Cummins 5.9 in Dodges is a better all around motor,but its not quite as strong as Fords in stock form,and Dodges quality reputation is as bad as Fords.Dodge advantage is better economy,more low end torque,less maintance,no glow plus or big $$ injection pump required,2100 will buy a brand new pump and injectors.its is very easy to work on being an I6,it will outlast 2 or 3 powerstrokes easy.One thing all Diesels seem to like is a manual transmission,the autos dont transfer the low end torque as well.Ford advantages,Crew cab,more power,quiter at idle,better brakes,better auto.Compression ignition rules

thelawnguy
09-03-2000, 08:42 PM
I bought a gas truck for two main reasons, first being the short trip scenario, I may run two minutes between stops, the diesel I had previously had nothing but problems (IH 6.9) which the truck shop blamed on short trips, second with a gas (at least in Dodge 2500) I gained 800 lb payload due to lighter weight of engine axles cooling etc.

pfisdon
09-03-2000, 09:52 PM
Nothing but a POWERSTROKE for me ! But, when its time for repairs , get out the checkbook and dig deep! Also, get a crewcab so the guys don't fight over who's going to sit in the middle.

pottstim
09-03-2000, 10:10 PM
Todd,
If you purchase a diesel, here's one thing about them that i didn't see mentioned above. If it's a turbo diesel, let the engine run for a few minutes before you shut it down. This is to cool off the turbocharger, which spins a ton of RPM's (i think in the 100,000 rpm range, correct me if i'm wrong). By letting the truck run for a few minutes, this cools of the bearings and internal components of the turbo. You may notice truckers on the road doing this. I've seen many pull off at a rest stop, get out and lock the door and leave the truck running to cool them down. This will prolong the life of the turbo, and they are costly to replace, too. I wanted to mention this to you incase you didn't know about it.

Take care,
Tim

KirbysLawn
09-04-2000, 12:11 AM
Tim, you are correct about the bearings, they need to cool down to between 275-300 degrees before shuting down if possible. I installed a TTM (Turbo Temp Monitor) on my truck, it reads off the pyro, when I turn my truck off the engine continues running until the the temp hits 300, it then shuts off. A great investment! ($120)

Ray

FIREMAN
09-04-2000, 12:30 AM
ANYONE HEARD THE BUZZ ABOUT CHEVY....I HEARD THEY ARE FINALLY GETTING A REAL DIESEL..SUPPOSED TO BE DETROIT,,,SOMETHING ABOUT 440 HP AND GOOBS OF TORQUE....SHOULD BE INTERESTING TO SEE...THIS IS SUPPOSEDLY A MOTOR FOR PICKUPS...I THINK 3500 SERIES ONLY...

KirbysLawn
09-04-2000, 12:48 AM
Fireman, Isuzu make the Duramax for GM, the Duramax 6600 is rated at 300 hp and 520 lb-ft of torque.

http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/2001.htm

[Edited by KirbysLawn on 09-04-2000 at 05:07 AM]

SLSNursery
09-04-2000, 02:01 PM
I am a big powerstroke fan (3 of them - in trucks), but I have room for cummmins (skidsteer, backhoe, loader, F-800, Chipper). With any of these diesels, the power is there when you need it. If you don't ever need the power, then sure a powerstroke is a fuel hog. One thing is for sure, however, the F-350s work circles around the 94 F-250 Gas pickup - in terms of power, economy, and production. We use the gas job for mowing, esp. around town. When it goes on the highway, so does my credit card!!! At least with the diesels we have tanks at the shop (hurts a little less in the wallet).

This year, we have sent several truck/trailer combos out on different jobs to see what works the best. Some of our routes are all two-five minute drivetimes, some are 15-20 minute jumps.

Hands Down winner - for stop and go, and longer highway runs - 1999 Isuzu NQR Diesel - we just picked up in June. This has a similar block to the one going into the Chevies. It is very nice in my opinion. One disclaimer - we don't tow with this truck, ever (it is a box).

I guess if you are SURE that the truck will only be used in town, then it probably doesn't matter. However, without having a variety of trucks at your disposal, it seems that keeping your options open is probably a good idea. Sometimes our trucks go out loaded with material, sometimes they are pulling a 10,000 lb. trailer. You should get the truck that is most versatile for the jobs YOU intend to run.