PDA

View Full Version : Slip Plate

Banzaitoy
09-02-2000, 10:16 PM
I'm sure this has been beat to death and please don't flame me ......but......Have any of you had any experience using Slip Plate on your decks?

bob
09-02-2000, 10:29 PM
What is Slip Plate?

Stinger
09-02-2000, 11:53 PM
No clue here either? How about some discriptive info?

pottstim
09-03-2000, 12:23 AM
If memory serves me right, Slip Plate is a type of graphite paint. People apply this to the underside of their mower decks, so that they will repel grass, therefore there is no buildup. I've heard of some homeowners using this on the decks of their Lawn tractors, and say it lasts for about a season of normal mowing. They say before you apply it, you have to thoroughly clean the deck off, so the paint will adhear to it. I may give this a try someday.

Tim

Sammy
09-03-2000, 02:03 AM
A lot of farmers use it on the inside of their gravity wagons so the grain will flow out better.

Richard Martin
09-03-2000, 06:17 AM
The company that makes Slip Plate is Superior Graphite Company and they have a web site. It is http://www.graphitesgc.com. I have sent them the following email and I will report back here if and when I receive a reply.

Hi,
My name is Richard Martin and I am the owner of AM Lawn Service. I am looking at purchasing Slip Plate for use on my mowers (the sales potential may be for hundreds of mowers). What I need is something that has excellant wear properties and will repell wet grass or at least make it hard for grass to stick. I have looked at PTFE paints and while they have the repelling properties I need they have very poor wear properties. The paint should be able to withstand grass, sand and small sticks being thrown at it at 200 mph for a minimum of 200 hours before needing recoating. Do you have anything that will fill these requirements?

OBRYANMAINT
09-03-2000, 09:20 AM
light coat of diesel also works well also in your dump if you haul salt in winter

lawrence stone
09-03-2000, 09:44 AM
If it does repel the fromation of dukey it would be so easy
to run some thru a sprayer and coat your deck after pressure washing.

A more realistic figure of 50 hours per re-applicaton
would be acceptable IMHO.

Richard Martin
09-03-2000, 11:24 AM
Lawrence wrote:

<b><i>A more realistic figure of 50 hours per re-applicaton
would be acceptable IMHO</b></i>

Well I figured a lot of people were putting almost 50 hours a week on some of their machines. Having to pull your machine in and prep the deck, reapply the paint and then wait 24 hours for it to cure properly once every week or two seemed a little excessive to me. The good news is if you burnish this paint it's wear properties go up according to what I've read about it. At least it'll work around the spindles.

Mowman
09-03-2000, 09:20 PM
SLIP PLATE IS A GRAFITE LUBE MADE FOR JOHN DEERE. I TRIED SOME THIS SPRING AND WAS NOT ALL THAT IMPRESSED. WET GRASS STILL STUCK TO THE DECK. IF GRASS WAS DRY IT MIGHT WORK FINE. MY FATHER-IN-LAW SPRAYS IT IN HIS GRAIN WAGONS AND IT DOES AN EXCELLENT JOB THERE. BUT HEY IT MIGHT WORK FOR YOU, JUST HAVE TO TRY AND SEE. MOWMAN

Turf Kutter
09-03-2000, 09:40 PM
I ordered a sample earlier today It should just be enough to test on a 21inch.I will see how it comes out and give yoiu results to see how it came out.

awm
02-19-2002, 08:33 AM
its my understanding slip plate was originally made for heavy farm equipment combines etc. it works fair but modeck might work better ,and i believe its still a forum sponser. later now

Richard Martin
02-19-2002, 03:15 PM
Well I never did receive a reply from them. I am currently getting ready to test a paint that contains Teflon. It is an off-the-shelf paint but it is kinda pricey at $55 a quart. The good news is I only used about 1/16 of the quart on a 60" deck.

1grnlwn
02-19-2002, 03:28 PM
I have used slip plate, It works ok on decks but I use it on spreaders. It makes the clean-up easier. Slip plate can be foun at just about any farm store. Big-R. Farm King etc. Trying MODeck this spring.

Mark

jeffyr
02-19-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Mowman
SLIP PLATE IS A GRAFITE LUBE MADE FOR JOHN DEERE. I TRIED SOME THIS SPRING AND WAS NOT ALL THAT IMPRESSED. WET GRASS STILL STUCK TO THE DECK. MOWMAN

I agree. I got a sample can last season--enough to spray the 43" deck twice. I only did it once because I don't think it really did alot, but it was pretty wet with morning dew when I tried it. But it was great that the company sent a free sample can.

jeffyr

1grnlwn
02-19-2002, 06:17 PM
You know what works really good on tall wet grass?

Letting it dry out.LOL Its a hopless cause.

marc
02-19-2002, 06:25 PM
I have used slip plate before and it seemed to work well. I applied it to the decks several times a year for best results. My problem was that I did not have the time to wash the deck throughly, let it dry, and then apply the slip plate that had to dry for several hours for the best performance. I now have toros ztr's and just use the z stand once in awhile and scrape the grass out. A lot less time consuming.