PDA

View Full Version : gravely 300, 60 inch with 20 hp kohler. any comments ?

geogunn
09-03-2000, 12:00 AM
while taking my lovely spouse to the steakhouse tonight I saw the unit described above sitting in a parking lot with a for sale sign.

it looked new from the street. closer inspection revealed slight use but still looked new. 550 hours were showing on the hour meter. the unit is a 97.

asking price $3200. does anyone have a comment to offer on this unit as described?

they are VERY popular in my area. I suspect that popularity is in largely due to the dealer. he has a great reputation.

thanks to all,

GEO

Runner
09-03-2000, 12:27 AM
Real rugged machine. Ypu just have to do a few mods to it so it cuts good though. I had to change my blade drive pulley so I got more blade speed, otherwise it just doesn't discharge well. I also bent the curved pedal so I could open up the hydro a little more for more ground speed when desired. I've also had my spindle cradles machined so I can run double blades. For reaching in under things like trees, pines, bushes etc., it's the ultimate. I can also drop the deck down into ditches and such and just back out. Something I'd never DREAM of doing with the Lazers. If it's a '97, then it probably has the Command motor. Mine has the older Magnum motor. These machines are built like a tank, you just have to do a little adjusting.

Evan528
09-03-2000, 05:12 PM
Like i just said on another post.... I used to have a gravely 300 series rider. I couldnt wait to get rid of the thing. It Cut so poorly i had to go over all lawns at least twice even when the grass wasnt that long just to get a halfway decent cut. This mower discharged horribly and clumped even in dry grass. For the most part this machine did hold up pretty good (2800 hours when i sold it) but quality of cut is a must and this mower just didnt have it. NOw that i have a z master i save more time than you can amagine! no more double cutting on every single lawn and no more clumping. I would not recoment one!

geogunn
09-05-2000, 09:14 AM
thanks guys for the comments.

what gets me was the fact that this unit looks so new, like it never got dirty. anyway, it didn't last long at that price!

GEO

chrisbolte
09-11-2000, 12:50 AM
I havent had problems with my gravely discharge

Evan528
09-11-2000, 05:02 PM
what size gravely decl do you have? the 36 cuts and discharges perfect. My old 60 cut and dicharged horribly and i hear 50's are just as bad.

chrisbolte
09-11-2000, 06:18 PM
I have three gravely 50" never had a problem unless i am cutting redicous high grass or it is raining which you should expect it to clump. I do have one of their new 250z mowers and it ever clumps it has there new discharge chute.