PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a problem area

Envy Lawn Service
03-25-2003, 02:01 AM
I'd like to get a few pre-bid opinions on what I should suggest be done for this area. I'm placing bid for an annual full service contract here. But I don't like the looks of this area and would like to make some polite suggestions to better this problem area. Before placing the bid of course...

Envy Lawn Service
03-25-2003, 02:02 AM
Another

KerryB
03-25-2003, 12:35 PM
RIP-RAP

MacLawnCo
03-25-2003, 12:39 PM
Looks like a natural drainage area, where the water is supose to flow from one end to another, right?

I would suggest that you raise the low area so that there is a more defined 2-4' ditch where the water is and lay crushed rock in there.

lawnstudent
03-25-2003, 10:20 PM
Better check with the local governing body first to see what you are allowed to do with this area. Good luck.

jim

ipm
03-27-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by lawnstudent
Better check with the local governing body first to see what you are allowed to do with this area. Good luck.

jim

I would use some wetland plants. Water Canna, Cattail, etc.

paponte
03-27-2003, 11:35 PM
I say you could go with either idea. I am not sure on codes or anything in your area, so as advised I woudl check.
etierh go wit hthe traditional gravel or stone. Or work with the whole water feature idea. Might be a little messy since it's filled already! :cool:

chrisby316
03-28-2003, 04:21 PM
FILL IT IN! :D

Envy Lawn Service
03-28-2003, 08:45 PM
KerryB--RIP-RAP
Say huh? :confused:
MacLawnCo--Looks like a natural drainage area, where the water is supose to flow from one end to another, right?

I would suggest that you raise the low area so that there is a more defined 2-4' ditch where the water is and lay crushed rock in there.
Yeah it's a drainage area. They added another building on the site and "tried" to route the drainage from the new tile (forground) into the old tile (background). Needless to say the pitch for drainage from point A to point B is off.

I don't know if they just didn't realize it was bad due to the extreme drought when the building was built or if the problem is a result of sediment and debris buildup.

In any event, your idea is one of the options I'll offer.
lawnstudent--Better check with the local governing body first to see what you are allowed to do with this area. Good luck.
I will definately do so! I want to find out both what will be allowed "code wise" and what will be cost effective.
ipm--I would use some wetland plants. Water Canna, Cattail, etc.
Good idea there! What would be something that would still survive if it became dry there during the heat of the summer?
paponte--Might be a little messy since it's filled already!
Yup, messy job alright! That's why I want to suggest a good pre-bid solution. The area is very visable. So it could get to be a real pain to service and keep it looking good. That's the last thing I want. I'd rather deal with the extra work and mess once rather than all season if you know what I mean.
chrisby316-- FILL IT IN!
The area could maybe be tiled and filled in "IF" the two tiles were anywhere near the same size!

lawnstudent
03-29-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service

Good idea there! What would be something that would still survive if it became dry there during the heat of the summer?

ENVY,

I don't know plant material in NC, but if it was here in NE Illinois I would recommend native prairie (wet mesic prairie) that can take the wet conditions in spring and the dry heat in summer. Things like Sedges, Swamp milkweed, Asters, Turtleheads, Joe Pye Weed, Queen of the Prairie, Fringed Gentian, Prairie Blazing Star, Cardinal Flower, Great Blue Lobelia, or Obedient Flower. Good luck.

jim

Envy Lawn Service
03-29-2003, 11:40 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the info. I'll get educated on those. Thus far I haven't had to get educated on such plants due to many years of drought and the terrain in my area. I guess you could call these mountains very well drained areas!
;)

NCSULandscaper
04-04-2003, 01:37 AM
I would stack a class A rip rap stone in there and cut in some straight edges with a shovel for a professional finish.