PDA

View Full Version : When to start treatments 3/4 acre pond

luckylawnboy
03-25-2003, 10:18 AM
What is the best ime of year to start treating ponds for algea. What kind of schedual, products, and tips are there for treating 3/4 acre pond with a fountian for the year.

KerryB
03-25-2003, 11:20 AM
It depends on what you are treating.
If it is a submersed plant or if it grows on top of the water.
If the plant is actively growing it should be susceptible to contact herbicides.
If it is too cold for the submersed plant to actively grow then you will probably be wasting your time.
Also if the temp is too high, foliar applications are too volatile and again you are wasting your time.
What are you using? Diquat, Fluridone, Simazine?

luckylawnboy
03-25-2003, 01:55 PM
I am mostly talking about under water plants. To keep that green film off the water algea. Post foliar applications are no problems. thanks. Well what works best for cat-tails.

Phishook
03-26-2003, 12:46 AM
Sounds like the ponds ecosystem is out of wack!

Try adding plants and fish. Just the thought of putting chemicals in a pond sounds like a bad idea to me. You'll just be covering up the ponds problem if you add chemicals.

If you need to get it clean fast look into a bacteria treatment. 100% natural way to clear up a pond. Then add the fish and plants to maintain it.

luckylawnboy
03-26-2003, 10:39 AM
I know alot of people add copper sulfate to the ponds to help control algea. Is this still my only option or should I look into another alternitive.

KerryB
03-28-2003, 09:27 AM
As for the fish cure you need about 75 small fish per acre to obtain a temp fix. As the fish get larger they dont feed on the algea. Thats for Triploid Grass Carp.
and dealing with Algea only.
The carp usually provide good control of submersed plants.
Copper is toxic to fish. Diquat works on some forms of algea. But copper is mostly what is used. Just be carefull.
For cattails use ; Diquat,