PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a mulch blowing company

Premo Services
03-25-2003, 11:30 AM
Do any of you have sugestions on finding a company that does mulch blowing.
Thanks

TurfGuyTX
03-25-2003, 11:37 PM
If you can't find them in the yellow pages, how about looking at some of the industry magazines for ads and contact them for referrals. I see ads probably in every issue I read. Good luck.

lawnboyil
03-26-2003, 11:42 PM
Express Blower, Inc.
1-800-285-7227
they will find you the nearest co with one of there trucks

alex

mike9497
03-26-2003, 11:47 PM
mulch master plus

Premo Services
03-27-2003, 08:43 AM
THANKS!!!!
Thats what I was looking for. :D

hoyboy
03-29-2003, 08:19 PM
I used to do that. In fact, we did a private golf course in St. Louis. got out of that business. Talk about a tough way to make money! I know several other companies that called it quits with that machine. Some do make it, though.

Dan Norton

lawnstudent
03-30-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by hoyboy
I used to do that. In fact, we did a private golf course in St. Louis. got out of that business. Talk about a tough way to make money! I know several other companies that called it quits with that machine. Some do make it, though.

Dan Norton

Dan,

what makes use of these machines such a tough business?

jim

jkelton
03-30-2003, 03:06 PM
I can tell you why it is tough - many people (esp. landscapers) think it is a great idea, but they will only use them when they get busy or in a bind, and they think you should give the service away for little or nothing. In my area, it is extremely seasonal, so you have to make sure that you have other services (i.e., seeding and erosion control services) in your marketing plan in addition to the general mulching services. This can be tough to do, esp. for the first year when your still figuring out how you want to market the service (and where). If you don't hit it right the first year, you have to wait till the season hits again (i.e., the next year) to retry and this can be very stressfull. I have experienced this first hand, and I am still working at this goal as we speak. We'll see how this year goes.

hoyboy
03-30-2003, 07:46 PM
Aside from cost of these machines ($300,000 +), they take a lot more management than you might think. As long as we were blowing mulch, etc., we were making good money. But in Chicago you have to drive a long way to get mulch from the wholesalers. that can kill 3 hours just for one full load. It is possible, of course, to have it delivered. That requires additional equipment (to load the mulch) on site, along with the truck to get that equipment there, and the customers usually don' t like mulch sitting in there parking lot very long, so your timing has to be good, which isn't always possible due to a myriad of possible problems...weather, breakdowns, driver gets sick, etc.

It's not like you can just pick up any ol' driver to get the work done, either. First, you need a CDL. Then, it takes some training and practice to get any productivity at all. These are high tech pieces of equipment. You don't want joe-shmo running them. And pray you don't have a breakdown, because parts and qualified mechanics can be days away.

I think to do that business right, you have to decide to do it 100%, or not do it at all. Can you imagine only having one mower in your fleet? What if that mower were to break down...same thing with these machines, except they are computer driven and Hank's Handy Mower Service can't fix them. I really think someone thinking of getting into that business should anti up and get 2 of them up front.

And like the other poster said, you either have more business than you can handle, or no business at all.

I could go on and on, but I have to go. Needless to say, it was a learning experience.

Dan Norton