PDA

View Full Version : Moles Help!!!

weedwackyrizzz
03-25-2003, 12:34 PM
I have a problem with a lot of moles in my lawn, and also my neighbor. What can I do to get rid of them and not have them come back. I live in the N.Y Long Island area. I understand that moles are attracted to grubs but it does not seem to be a problem in my lawn, but I do live in a sandy area which it makes it easy for the moles to dig. I was told that Lime will do the job. So if anybody can help please do. Thanks.
Frank:D :angel: :blob2:

Lombardi
03-25-2003, 10:37 PM
The most effective way is to set mole traps out which will kill them. I have never heard of lime being effective on moles.

weedwackyrizzz
03-26-2003, 02:37 PM
Thank you for your reply, but I would rather not trap or kill them but rather chase them away with some kind of fertilizer. If trapping is the only way then what do I do with them after I catch them?:cry: :dizzy: :gunsfirin

bastalker
03-27-2003, 08:25 PM
well you can bury them if you like or toss em in the dumpster. It all depends on how many tunnels they have in your yard. ;)

LWNMWR1
04-06-2003, 02:42 PM
moles are in your yard because there is a food source. eliminate it and the problem will fade. they really like grubs and certain plants(with yummy roots) good luck.

Catcher
04-07-2003, 12:23 PM
I agree with Lombardi,

I've tried the poisons, smoke/ gas ****, grub control and just about everything else there is.
True - if you take away their food-source they'll disappear as well. Grub control isn't cheap and I don't believe that one should dump chemicals everywhere for every little problem.
The best way to get rid of them is to trap them.
Best trap I found is the dual choker style, save for kids and pets while more effective than single thread designs.

The only thing I haven't tried and am not sure how they work are 'noise - scares'.
If you are squemish about killing moles, there are several different products available - from windmill designs to battery powered units - which supposedly emit a frequency that the moles don't like.

If you end up trying this method please come back and let us know how well it worked.

Good luck

syncom2
04-07-2003, 10:19 PM
I'd strongly suggest that you pay "TheMoleMan.com" a visit. Much useful information can be gleaned from this site.
mb

Green Pastures
04-08-2003, 04:24 PM
Why is it that so many people want to get rid of moles, but when a seasoned professional tells them the best way to do that is to kill them, the customer doesn't want to do that.

They are pests, vermin and do NOTHING good. They eat earthworms too, so go ahead and kill all the grubs and you'll still have moles.

I have a customer who spent $300 last year to get rid of moles. It looks like there are actually more of them this year. This month she had me get $130 worth of those "sonic mole chasers". I told her I didn't know if they worked or not. I've heard that they do and I've heard that they don't. :rolleyes:

Just kill them and be done with it.

GroundKprs
04-11-2003, 09:45 AM
For a quick overview of moles, go to <a href="http://www.entm.purdue.edu/entomology/ext/targets/ADM/ADMPDF/ADM-10.pdf">ADM-10 - Moles</a>. Use a scientific source for true learning. There are many, many old wives tales about moles. You could spend thousands of dollars and entertain yourself for several lifetimes on all the mole cures, LOL. Oh yeah, you'd still have moles.

If you are really serious about restricting moles from your property, instead of trapping them, you can build a mole fence, but it will be a lot of work. See all the real info there is on moles at <a href="http://wildlifedamage.unl.edu/handbook/handbook/">Prevention and Control of Wildlife Damage</a>. Just scroll down on that page to "Moles." These are all .pdf files.

LawnLad
04-11-2003, 11:28 AM
Check out the sources listed above, I agree. A large portion of the mole's diet is earthworms. Unless you're going to get rid of this beneficial insect, you have to remove the pest.

Besides, having moles to some degree is a sign of a healthy ecosystem - lots of worms is a great thing.

Treeslayer
04-16-2003, 05:24 PM
Years ago, my grandfather, when he saw a mole tunneling, used to go out in the yard with his 12 gauge and blast away.

20 years later, he's dead, and the moles are back.
(and the voles, as well).
Shoot a gun in the yard now, and go to jail.:(

They eat all the hasta from the bottom.
nothing works like the old food chain authority.

hustler1
09-24-2003, 11:11 PM
I tried the sonic type battery powered mole chasers....they dug a tunnel right next to it.....I'm considering electricity now....I've spent about $150 on chemicals etc since spring and dont have grubs....these things eat grass roots apparantly.....

Lawn-Scapes
11-10-2003, 09:40 PM
Hopefully Jim will get an email because this thread has been resurrected.. I can't seem to get this "ADM-10" link to open in any of the past threads. I want to see what it says :(

Is the webpage gone?

UNISCAPER
11-13-2003, 09:08 PM
We have effectivley used Castor Oil sprayed through one of those lawn sprayers you connect to the garden hose. For whatever reason, the Moles go away after we spray...