PDA

View Full Version : How come the shrubs are looking dead

CHUCKIECHEESE
03-25-2003, 03:38 PM
Before the winter the plants in this backyard were all green now alot of them look dead or look like they are dieing.
My question is is this a common thing after a hard winter and is there anything I can use to help speed up the healing process.

THANK YOU

ladibugg
03-25-2003, 03:52 PM
O.K. I'll bite.

What kind of shrubs are they?

Define "all green"
Define " look like they are dieing"

crawdad
03-25-2003, 05:55 PM
Water them, it'll be alright. It's called dormancy.
Crawdad :cool:

fblandscape
03-25-2003, 06:10 PM
Winter dessication.

Shuter
03-25-2003, 07:48 PM
Were they planted before the start of winter?? The plants may still be experiencing shock from being transplanted. If so they will come back. They need a little food and water. And some sun.

greenman
03-25-2003, 08:38 PM
What kind of shrubs are they?

Evan528
03-25-2003, 08:54 PM
Im seeing the same thing at many of my custmers homes. 80% of the japanese hollies, cherry laurel and english holly I have seen this year have half of there leaves yellow and falling off. This includes shrubs that were planted las fall to shrubs that are 40+ years old. I have never seen this before after a winter and am quite worried Ill have alot of shrubs to replace this ear uder warranty. Is this from the heavy snow and ice that was packed on them all winter? Will they recover?

NCSULandscaper
03-31-2003, 12:15 AM
Most likely its nothing but freeze damage. Usually we just take the hand pruners and clip the tips off to promote some new shoots and get green growth to cover up the bare spots.

GarPA
03-31-2003, 05:07 AM
my own plants look horrible....especially the large and small hollies...its winter burn obviously but in 20 years I have never seen them look so bad....the leaves are dropping off in piles...on one 10 ft holly almost every leaf is burnt to a crisp...makes me sick frankly...there us no magical solution to this other than keep picking up the litter and hopefully new growth will come in...like said above....have never seen it this bad