PDA

View Full Version : How do you find a reputable Landscape Designer?

affprop
03-26-2003, 09:24 AM
I am trying to find a good landscape designer/ archetic ( I dont think that is how you spell that) to work with me on some projects in Wells Me. Are there certain questions I should be asking? Do I only pay for plans I like? How does actually working with a designer work If I am an Lco hiring them?

ConPro
03-26-2003, 06:31 PM
Why don't you call one and find out and tell us. It's your business, we can only make suggestions.

fblandscape
03-26-2003, 07:22 PM
Normally they are paid hourly. Why are you going to use an architect? Why not have the client go to the architect?

affprop
03-26-2003, 09:58 PM
I am going to the designer/arch(whatever) because the homeowner is leaving everything up to me. And what this project is is taking an old farmhouse and barn foundation, ( they built their new house about 100ft away from this foundation) and putting a stone walk through the foundations with a waterfall/pond, flower beds and other hardscape features, the problem I feel is one of the walls is open and I dont know the parameters of knowing for sure wether it is safe wether different things will work inside and out. So I would like to talk to somebody in the know and bounce some ideas and get some ideas from this person.

Lanelle
03-26-2003, 10:56 PM
It sounds as though you want a free-lance designer to help you with a specific project. If safety is an issue, you may need an engineer to inspect the structure. Some people work by the hour and others will quote you a price for the job or get paid a percentage based on the $$-size of the project.

William Camp
03-26-2003, 11:37 PM
It sounds crazy but try some collages for students in landscape classes they might work a little cheeper than a pro:blob4: :sleeping:

Phishook
03-27-2003, 01:51 AM
If the building is in that poor of shape, you may suggest having the building worked on before they go putting all their money into plants and waterfalls.

Send me a layout and a budget and I'll draw up a plan for you. What is the budget anyway?

I'm not an Landscape Architect, but I took two semesters in Landscape Design.:blob3:

mdvaden
03-30-2003, 01:42 PM
Never go to a college for designer students. They are merely learning.

At Portland Community College in Portland, on of the instructors said "most of the design students are willing to push a pencil, but not a shovel"

What he meant was that they are very inexperienced, and the only way to get that, is to get a real landscape related in-the-field job. Most of the students don't want to do it the real way, they just want to be artists.

Plants are not building materials.

In my case, I am the only LANDSCAPE DESIGNER and ARBORIST in Portland. No other arborist here does design plans. And no landscape designer here contracts pruning of groundcovers on up to large tree work.

So my message is not one of taking sides as the industry facets do.

L. Architects will usually have the least amount of experience with real landscape work - although the schooling tends to be higher.

Designers usually are a bit better after a while. Find one that likes working in the field, or has invested a lot of personal time making us the difference for not having held a shovel or pruning shears.

If you want to know what to pay, go to our site at www.mdvaden.com and look at our page with prices. My prices are about middle of the road for our area. I think you can find good design for our cost, and a little less.

Just get the phone book, or do an internet search, and start calling several.

Maybe find out which are designing for landscapers already where you see landscaping that already looks good and is not deteriorating.

Usually, a landscaper will not like to share knowledge of a good designer they are using. But the designer will let you know.