PDA

View Full Version : huge mulch install!!

LocalTouch
03-26-2003, 03:47 PM
Hey! I am bidding on a large apartment complex, and after my evaluation and measuring, I came up with 25,652 square feet of mulch beds. That equals out to about 160 yards of mulch needed. (at 2" depth) I have not done a job this big, but my question is if I can get mulch for approx $20 a cu yard, what is a good amount to charge to install 160 yards? I typically charge about $60, but that is if I get it for my usual $25/yd. Needing 160yds, that would mean several trips to the mulch shop, which is only about 3 miles away. Help me out guys!!

ahah
03-26-2003, 04:34 PM
Have the mulch delivered.

hoffmanlandscaping
03-26-2003, 05:29 PM
Posiblly get with your supplier and see if he can have you a semi load delivered to the complex. You may be able to work out a deal and get it at a discounted rate if he just has his supplier drop it off for you so he wouldn't have to even touch the stuff. I would make sure I bib in a few extra yards because it doesn't take long to lose a few yards with depth variation in that big of a job. If you can get it delivered I would think that 50-60 would be a decent price for the mulch and installed. Do you have to do any edging if so I would make sure I charge extra. I've never used one but you my want to try and sub out the mulching part to a company with a mulch blower you could just do the prep work and put the finishing touches on it. I have no idea how much they would charge for that though. If you have to haul it what would you be hauling it in and how much can you haul in it?

FLMOWER
03-26-2003, 05:42 PM
You might want to see if you can get it blown in. This is generally good for this type of application. They can get 100 yards in a truck and sell it at 30-40$/ yard installed, mark it up and no work to do.

Westbrooklawn
03-26-2003, 05:58 PM
I agree........contract with a bulk blower co. to install it, charge $55/yard, pay the contractor $40/yd. (or maybe even less for that amount), and profit $15/yd. just for your time measuring and billing.

The last time I priced it, which was about a year ago, they would install shredded hardwood mulch, material included for around $25/yd. "Mulch Masters" was the company.

ConPro
03-26-2003, 06:18 PM
Talk to your contact and make sure your bed sq. footage is correct. I've won two contracts this season because the other guys were about $1500 off on their mulch estimate. Make sure you need 160 yards.

lawnboyil
03-26-2003, 10:40 PM
call the nice people here
Express Blower, Inc.
1-800-285-7227
they will find you the nearest outfit with one of there trucks. here its $25 a yrd + material they can do 40yrd in les than 8 hr

hope that helps

alex