PDA

View Full Version : Got fired,for being too fast!

bob
09-04-2000, 02:04 PM
My friend Karl told me that he lost a lawn because the old woman that lives there told him he was too fast! She didn't complain about the quaity of work. I guess she'd been happier if he used a 21". I use to cut this lawn before I gave it to him . Its a $20 lawn, takes 15 minutes.

Bobby
09-04-2000, 02:20 PM
Hey Bob
I used to have a bunch of yards in a retirement area. A long time ago my wife worked with me. She would Snap the front yards and then talk with the customers till we finished.
When she stopped working with me, I knoticed a sharp falloff in tips and end of the year gifts.
I think sometimes the highlite of there day may be when you pull up outside.

Bobby
09-04-2000, 02:28 PM
AS BOBBY'S WIFE, I FELT IT IMPORTANT TO CLARIFY HIS LAST #$$@-*&^% STATEMENT . AFTER TALKING TO THE CUSTOMERS THEN CLEANING THE BEDS, THEN VAC. THEN BLOWING, BOB WOULD FINISH THE WEED-EATING AND WE'D LEAVE. JUST WANTED TO CLARIFY.

cos
09-04-2000, 03:44 PM
I had a customer that used to tell me that I cut her lawn to quickly and that the price should be lower. If remember correctly, I said, "If I took dancing lessons I would do a little dance for you, but your $20 isn't a drop in the bucket to pay for my machinery." Needless to say she found another sucker to cut it probably for cheaper. I believe I red in the paper around that same time, LANDSCAPER JUMPS OFF BRIDGE (kiddin of course about the bridge part), but I now know, now that as I grow older in the business that customers like that really ain't worth the trouble.

Best Wishes

OLD CHAPP
09-04-2000, 04:04 PM
BOB
Homeowners don't have a clue on what things cost like fuel,maintenance,labor,cost to run your company, and so on. I run fast with hydros and velkes. Some people think you charge $45.00 to cut there lawn you should be there for 45 mins with a crew of 3. That is BULL #### I have my bottom line that I have to meet and if the job looks good and the workers look and act professional who cares if takes 10 mins.

Twotoros
09-04-2000, 04:47 PM
Been there many times . Somehow people seem to think that when you do a job for x # of dollars that that is what you take to the bank . If it is done fast by their standards then you are stealing from them . It seems no matter how businesslike you run things they act like we arn't really a business. I don't have time to educate everyone as to how much I have in expenses . I would like to make copies of my tax returns and pass them out . I have told a few that my books are open to them and please come take a look and show me how to cut costs enough to give them a cheaper price.
Best thing to do with these folk is cut'em loose asap.

Charles
09-04-2000, 06:51 PM
To Bobbys wife: Maybe you should redo that blowing sentence. maybe a period after blowing.

Keith
09-04-2000, 08:29 PM
LOL @ Charles.

It is pretty sad when you are judged by how much time you spend on a customers lawn and not the finished product. I really believe there is a group of people that would rather see you "earn your money" than have a decent looking lawn.

Runner
09-04-2000, 08:42 PM
If you own a 5000 dollar mower, and cut a lawn for 30 dollars, buy a 10,000 mower so you can cut it for 10 or fifteen dollars. Or better yet, buy a 40,000 dollar mower so you can cut it for a couple of bucks!

Starling Lawn
09-04-2000, 09:07 PM
Bob,
I had the same thing happen to me except that I lost 2 accounts at one stop.Two wealthy neighbors who thought that because I didn`t spend a half a day there that they couldn`t justify the expense.I smiled,said its been real,loaded up the mowers and went on.
I found accounts to replace them and didn`t miss a beat.Life is too short to justify my costs to customers.

Mow on,
Dave

BUSHMASTER
09-04-2000, 10:51 PM
Well I just have to say my peice how come an ac tech can go in and blow out the drain pie to an acore takes 15 min tops
and the customer has no problem giveing them $65.00 or the plumber who unclogs the crapper in ten mins and they don't have a problem giving them $52.50 I guess they think that everyone of us has an obligation to work our #@$%# off for them and would shpould aprecaite that $25 or $35 they give us after sweating in there nasty @#@ yards ... ahhhh I feel much better know.hey this is good theropy.

Runner
09-04-2000, 11:00 PM
I guess that's what we get for just being "the lawn guys" or "the mower man". With the knowledge and experience that alot of us have (personally, I've ran my business successfully for 17 years now) it's like equating a master mechanic to a "Jiffy Lube guy."

Youngster
09-04-2000, 11:54 PM
I luckily havent had any customers drop me for this reason. Some of them were actually impressed on how quickly i do it. As long as I give them a good cut they are happy. I wish everyones customers were like this.

Youngster

tslawn
09-05-2000, 12:42 AM
We too, thankfully, have not lost any customers due to this. Most of our customers are amazed and appreciate the fact that we're in and out. They complain about how long it used to take them and how much time they've saved on the weekends to do other things. Sounds to me like some of you just have some real anal customers out there that want you to "cater" to just them. My customers do, however, enjoy the personal contact that I give them. For a lot of them, we now have a more personal relationship and they don't feel like they're just another number on my long list of "in and outs".

geogunn
09-05-2000, 08:10 AM
I have a senior customer, 82, that complains about the time I spend. I simply agree with her that "yep, I'm pretty fast!", as I hold my hand out for the check.

GEO

Mowman
09-05-2000, 09:16 AM
I TO HAVE A CUSTOMER LIKE THAT. I TOLD HER TIME IS MONEY TO ME. OUT OF 12 CUSTOMERS SHE IS THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS COMPLAINED. ONE WATCHES ME AND TIMES ME. IT USED TO TAKE ME 1 HOUR 30 MINUTES TO CUT HIS LAWN WITH MY 21" AND NOW WITH MY WALKER I'M GETTING DONE IN ABOUT 30-35 MINUTES. HE SAID NOW YOUR MAKING SOME MONEY, RIGHT. MY LAWN LOOKS JUST AS GOOD OR BETTER THAN WHEN YOU CUT IT WITH THE 21". WISH ALL MY CUSTOMERS WERE AS POSTIVE AS HIM. WELL JUST MY 2 CENTS.
MOWMAN

MOW ED
09-05-2000, 06:29 PM
This has not happened to me but I am ready if it does.

Any lawn that I can do in 15 minutes the owner of the property surely can do in an hour. If they want to puch it or ride it on their Murray more power to them but I'm not reducing my rate by a dime because I can do it faster.
I have 20 grand worth of equapment on a trailer with a 25 grand truck to yank it around and I'm payin big bucks for insurance and gas not to mention that I'm there every week for 28 to 30 weeks.

If you don't like how fast I cut then re read the paragraph above.

Lazer
09-06-2000, 12:41 AM
I had customer call to inform me that her lawn took 15 minutes.

This was unacceptable. (Tell me about it, it was only a $20 job - shouldn't have taken that long.)

I APOLOGIZED. I told her I understood the distraction lawn mowers, blowers, etc. were and told her we'd be SURE to have ALL WORK COMPLETED in 10 minutes OR LESS in the future.

That was the last cut we did, lol.

jaclawn
09-10-2000, 09:29 PM
This works if you have sevral in a row. Do some work on one, then a little on the other, then some on the other, then trim on one, back to another, then blow. Mix up the work, and they won't know the exact time that it takes for their property.

bob
09-10-2000, 09:31 PM
When I have several properties that are together, I cut them as if they were one big property.

landscaper3
09-10-2000, 09:37 PM
IF this bothers you finish off the year and forget about doing it next year, sometimes those complainers complain to the public ouch bad name!! better off with out em