PDA

View Full Version : Holes in the ground???

onemancrew
03-26-2003, 09:31 PM
My niece is have some holes appear in a landscape area. There about 2" in diameter. I told her that i thought they were frogs, sience i"d seen this once last year doing a job. She filled them with water & nothing happened. Now that this has been brought to my attention i'm seeing them in several places?? HELP!!! Moles or what???:blob2:

crawdad
03-27-2003, 07:42 AM
Have you got real wet ground? It's crawdads. That's how this place got it's name. We have a lot of them.
Only one way to get rid of them. Put little pieces of chewing tobbacco down in the holes. The crawdads will get a hold of it. When they come up to spit, whack 'em with a shovel.
Crawdad ;)

bommaritro
03-27-2003, 02:57 PM
Ron throws a little bit of chew into crawdads hole and waits for him to come out to spit. Ron thinks to himself this is gonna be one big roast tonight :D :D

All kidding aside not sure what is causing the holes I just could pass up the chance to take a wack at Crawdad.

Ron

crawdad
03-27-2003, 08:20 PM
Are you talkin ta me?

onemancrew
03-27-2003, 09:36 PM
No, it's very dry, i'm very sure it's not crawdads. I grew up catching those things all the time.

crawdad
03-27-2003, 10:22 PM
Take some pictures of the holes. We'll figure it out.
Crawdad

paponte
03-27-2003, 10:24 PM
I heard aliens were getting bored of the ol' crop dusting. Maybe just something new. :alien:

greenman
03-27-2003, 10:48 PM
How deep are the holes? See how far a stick will go in, but then again if they curve then you cant tell anyway. How many holes and how far apart are they? Is this property right near a wooded area?

onemancrew
03-27-2003, 10:56 PM
It is right be the driveway. very busy area. It is some what wooded area. I think there too big for insects.

Doogiegh
03-27-2003, 11:04 PM
Moles or ground hogs?

Bunnies?

Gary

SWD
03-28-2003, 08:24 AM
Dependent upon the soil below the mulch, check for mole crickets.
Timing is about right for a nymph release.

SWD
03-28-2003, 08:30 AM
Oh, and forgot to add this helpful tip.
When you want to determine what is causing those holes or to check soil dwelling inhabitants in a ecologically friendly, IPM consistent manner - do this:
Mix 2-3 tablespoons of Lemon scented Joy (this is the only stuff that works) in a bucket with one gallon of water.
Pour this soapy solution in a one to a one and one half foot square slowly enough to avoid surface run off, then wait. With in five minutes, if there are critters in the ground you want to know about, this solution chases them up for air. It works on ants, worms, grubs, mole crickets, beetles, scorpions, etc. Best of all, it is not harmful to the environment and will not affect the microbial population in the soil.

greenman
03-28-2003, 09:19 AM
WEll ,if it was near woods,(not by the driveway,) I was gonna say it was snakes. Some species make holes in the ground,perfect cirlces, but usually only about an inch in diameter. Maybe it just some kids poking holes in the ground?:rolleyes:

gslam88
03-28-2003, 09:51 AM
guys,

May sound strange, but is the hole coming up or like something digging in... .have heard of skunks digging for bugs and other food leaving that kind of hole....

I also had my wife watch our ST. Bernard sniff around and sniff around a little then start digging and pulled up a mole....

just a though??????

Pete

never look for the obvious... it's never that easy....

lawnstudent
03-30-2003, 12:05 PM
Sounds like ground squirrels. They will borrow under the concrete for their nests. Look something like a chipmunk but a bit bigger; reddish-brown fur with black & white stripes/spots on their side and a bushy tail. I will trap them (legal to trap but not legal to relocate them) or dig-in a barrier (I've used concrete) along the walk 4-6" deep to discourage their digging.

jim