PDA

View Full Version : favorite clippers?

fblandscape
03-27-2003, 02:04 AM
What is everyone's favorite hand snips? I just bought my second pair of Felco 7's (first one got stolen :() I have used Corona.. not bad, Fiskars... don't remember, sears... garbage, and who else?

dan deutekom
03-27-2003, 08:43 AM
felco or nothing at all!

grshppr
03-28-2003, 12:29 AM
Felco for me....and cheap ones for my employees (when I gave them felco pruners they always went missing. Now with the cheap ones I haven't lost a pair in years.):rolleyes:

NCSULandscaper
03-31-2003, 01:06 AM
everything felco

mdvaden
04-01-2003, 01:08 PM
Felco.

I keep imitations for workers to use on the rare occassions that they help on fruit trees in winter.

Felco last the longest and has replacement parts.

(always carry an extra spring, if one drops in a thick hedge, the labor lost exceeds the $3 spring)

I tried the Felco with the rotating handle. It was a pain because the grip is designed for the 4 fingers on the rotating part. No accomodation was made for the thumb.

That is important when doing small trees on a ladder, where the pruner has to be switched from the right hand to the left hand, and where the pruner has to be flipped back and forth to keep the cutting blade toward the remaining part of the plant for a close cut.

This low level ladder work is where the rotating handle Felco proved very inadequate. With the thumb on the rotating handle, the pruners keep working loose and dropping on the ground.

To each up my hands a bit, on some days I use those miniature aluminum handle loppers that Felco has for about $70.

They are very manueverable, even in fruit trees. It spreads the exertion to both hands, and reduces the pressure with more leverage than a hand pruner can do.

For 95% of my work, no lopper is needed. Its an arborist grade sharp saw like Fanno, or ARS, and a sharp hand pruner.

If the hand saw is really sharp, it will handle clean cuts even under 1/2". The hand pruner does the rest. It eliminates fiddling with the lopper.

Also, the handsaw works as an arm extension to avoid bending. With practice, one can learn to snag limbs off the ground with the end of the saw and fling them to the side, or lift them into the hand.

It reduces stacking time by about 40%.

Heller Landscaping
04-01-2003, 07:11 PM
Nothing but Felco:)

jaybird24
04-04-2003, 01:29 AM
I also use mostly felco. Has anyone tried any of Stihls pruners- I bought 2 pairs last year and they seem to be every bit as good as the felco as far as durability and quality.