PDA

View Full Version : 8 Inches too much!!!!!--What would you say?

Kevin
09-04-2000, 05:14 PM
When mowing the other day I went over 8 inches too far into the non customers yard,maybe 3 foot strip. Joe blow comes out saying how anal he is regarding his lawn(doesn't show),bla bla bla. Tell him it was an honest mistake etc. Later he wants to "show " me again, tell him I'll look later. Sure this pisses him off as he mumbles and storms off. Tired of being the nice guy when people are a** es. What would you say as next week I am expecting his company again?

bob
09-04-2000, 05:26 PM
Kevin, I had the exact situation a few years ago. Most people would be glad if you accidently cut their lawn. I had a small 3' strip to cut and used a 4' mower. The non-customer asked me not to go on their yard. So I used the trimmer after that. About 2 weeks later the non-customer calls me on a Sunday, demanding that I fertilize their lawn, today. I was going on a family picnic and said no. They were really upset. Then I got the last laugh. The non-customer was having a Bridge Club party about 20' away from the property line. I ran the trimmer for about 10 minutes in that spot. They all went inside. We exchaged words again the next week. No cussing or shouting, just normal conversation. My customer moved away the next year and I lost the lawn.

Twotoros
09-04-2000, 06:14 PM
I always go a half a mower with over such property if we mow at the same height . I don't scalp anyone who mows long( rare here) . If I did run in to nitpicker I just say sorry and back off .
I think the rule should be both parties overlap a few inches what's the big deal.

little green guy
09-04-2000, 07:24 PM
This one lawn we cut at like a devlopment where the two houses are connected, it's hard to tell exactly where the property line is. So sometimes we turn at little in the nieghbors lawn. One week we go to cut the lawn and the nieghbor put up a little string fence and left us a not that said not to mow there lanw and told us to "slow down". go figure.

Charles
09-04-2000, 07:41 PM
Alot of people are very territorial. Like animals. Makes you wonder about this evolution thing sometimes

Eric ELM
09-04-2000, 07:59 PM
We have a neighbor of a customer that puts up a chicken wire fence between his lawn and the one we do in the fall to keep the leaves from blowing on his lawn. :) With this fence there, the leaves build up like snow does next to a snow fence in the winter. This guy has become a bigger pain than any customer we have had.

Keith
09-04-2000, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Charles
Alot of people are very territorial. Like animals. Makes you wonder about this evolution thing sometimes

Yeah I had a customer's neighbor pee on my lawnmower...like a cat. :D

Honestly you can end up with major problems with neighbors like this. If they don't like you they can really influence your customer.

Twotoros
09-04-2000, 10:43 PM
Also I might add , why is that a neighbor can water my customer on their mow day? This has happened to me so much I couldn't count.

CandJ
09-04-2000, 10:53 PM
I had an account that owned about 10" on the other side of his fence on the neighbor's side of the property. I went to mow with my 21" mower and the lady comes out of the neighbors and threatens to call the police for me tresspassing on her property. Apparently there was a land dispute going on in court about this, and thus the hard feelings on both sides. I just told the homoeowner I would not get involved in their BS (said in a PC way), and would not mow over there.

People are crazy, sometimes...

landscaper3
09-04-2000, 10:57 PM
Sometimes we need too have selective hearing ( my wife says I aready do ) in one ear and out the other!! Try not to let thos type of people bother you I know its hard but lifes too short and not worth the time to *****.

BUSHMASTER
09-04-2000, 11:29 PM
Yea the nerve of some folks you be nice and make there yard
blend a little so it don't look so bad but hey when he comes out again you could do a couple of things.
because we know you'll never tread on his turf again.
1. hey don't worry im not making a bill out on that service.
2. Be quick to let him know that your hearing does not allow
you to hear anything past the property line.
3.tell him if he won't quite taking up your time you'll have to charge him for consultaion. Hey can we do that?
LIFE IS SHORT HAVE FUN WITH IT .>>> no matter what you do
Always have a big SMILE on your face they really love that!

landscaper3
09-04-2000, 11:31 PM
DITTO bushmaster thats about the way to be

eslawns
09-05-2000, 01:01 PM
I have one weenie like this, too. My client's yard has a strip near his patio. I cut & discharge away from my client's house & some clippings got in this guy's patio. He had a fit! I told him I'd blow them off but he wanted to gripe. He stood there yelling for 5 full minutes. I just looked down the whole time. When he stopped, I said "You know what? I used to have some shoes just like yours." His face turned red and he stomped off. He hasn't complained since, but every week he comes out to make sure I blow off the patio. Last year I sent him a Christmas card. He's been OK this year.

What's the name of that book?

"Don't sweat the small stuff: and it's all small stuff"

MOW ED
09-05-2000, 07:21 PM
Rectal-Cranial Inversion is a disease that is sporatically introduced in all areas of the country. I am sure these people have no idea how rediculous they are.
I had a neighbor of a customer complain to my customer that my clippings were on her lawn and mice were gathering because of it. By the way this is a 3/4 acre field that probably has 500 mice living in it.
I just say O.K. and try my best but I really dont give a care about the neighbors. if the want to hire me I'll blow their clippings to the next neighbors;)

jaclawn
09-05-2000, 10:25 PM
There is a house on my route that has a 2' wide Don't Mow Zone (DMZ). Apparantly, the one homeowner got into it with the other, and now neither will cut that strip. Looks pretty funny.

landscaper3
09-05-2000, 11:54 PM
I just had to say this DMZ isnt that in Korea de-milotary zone, wow you made up a quite quote ill use that one if I ever need too

bob
09-06-2000, 12:13 AM
Mow Ed, Rectal-Cranial Inversion? May I qoute you on that!?

MOW ED
09-06-2000, 08:30 AM
Why certainly;)

davesgs75
09-06-2000, 08:44 AM
you know you are going to hear it when the neighbor starts the conversation out with " you know where the property line is don't you". heard this one to many times.

plymouthvaliant73
09-14-2000, 07:52 PM
Found this on a newsgroup discussion thread complaining about LCO's:

"When my neighbors lawn service mowed over blueberries and horseradish along the property line all it took was some green painted old jackhammer bits as "garden markers" to cure him.

I guess a new crankshaft for an 18hp kohler engine was enough to open his eyes."

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
09-14-2000, 08:04 PM
if he comes out next week bitching i would tell him "sir im going to have to charge you for cutting that section of your lawn, i simply cant do work for free".....that would be hilariuos

Runner
09-14-2000, 10:56 PM
eslawns says that grass clippings bloww up on his porch even though you're discharging the other way. I'd forget about him if he still wanted to complain. You or I can't help what the wind brings up! If there is construction going on in front of the house, does he expect THEM to sweep his porch off? Hey, when you got a job to do, again, nature is out of your control. I had a jerk stand there once and watch the edging dust blow toward his house. Now THIS I WOULD have courtiously blown off his drive and porch, but he stood there with his doors wide open, and THEN wanted to call my customer and complain. My customer told me don't even worry about it, He'd just find something elseto complain about anyways.

jaclawn
09-15-2000, 08:42 AM
Went to give a quote one day, and the homeowner told me that the property line was where the neighbor stopped cutting. I based my price on this, and cut that way for 5 years. The Neighbor had his property survyed and I found out that I had been cutting about 15' of his property for all those years. The neighbor now cuts that portion.

Another one, A neighbor of a customer has a 2' wide strip between his driveway and the property line. I would uddally cut it for him, as the body of my customers lawn was there, and it wasn't really anything. One day I was not there, and my helpers did not cut that strip. The neighbor called me to complain.

Eric- I have that same situation with the leaf fence, only it is my customer that put up the fence.