PDA

View Full Version : monkey grass

the scaper
03-27-2003, 09:48 PM
how do you kill monkey grass? i tried scalping it with the mower and flooding it with roundup and it keeps coming back. i get alot of requests from good customers but that stuff is rooted so strongly that i've really got better things to do than dig this stuff out with a shovel. note: PETA members, this has nothing to do with real monkeys! thanks, ~the scaper~:cool:

grassdaddy
03-27-2003, 09:55 PM
I feel your pain!Try getting rid of a holly hedge row thats thrived for 15 yrs.No shovel---backhoe!:angry:

the scaper
03-27-2003, 10:00 PM
yea grassdadddy, i've pulled alot of shrubs out with my truck, even pine tree stumps, but i've heard those hollys are rooted so well you can forget it. :confused:

KerryB
03-28-2003, 09:31 AM
Monkey grass is very prolific. Just keep spraying, but spray before you cut it down.
It takes a while to get rid of it all.
And yes Hollies are terrible. They have more roots than a sane man can deal with lol.

CSRA Landscaping
05-07-2003, 11:31 PM
Funny, I have a customer that wants a couple hundred feet of this stuff killed ... tomorrow. And I don't have the faintest idea how to do it. I know I've spryaed every herbicide I have over the top of it and nothing has touched it yet. So what spray will kill it? One spray kill is what I'm after here. HELP! :dizzy:

captken
05-08-2003, 12:00 AM
try diesel fuel

CSRA Landscaping
05-08-2003, 08:53 AM
Just diesel by itself? Or an herbicide mixed in it? Thanks.

captken
05-08-2003, 10:20 AM
diesel fuel in sprayer alone.

The Lawn Boy Pro
05-08-2003, 10:31 AM
Yep, then light a match and watch it gleam! Fa lala lala, la, la la, la!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

captken
05-08-2003, 02:29 PM
i use diesel fuel, in moderation, to kill weeds in flowerbeds.
to advertise, charge for, or otherwise uses herbicide in conjunction with your buiness here is a violation. you need a license.
i am not award of a license needed to apply diesel fuel, and yes it will kill weeds and i would assume just about any vegetable matter. this would include monkey grass.
diesel fuel is a volital liquid, and care must be taken when using it.
i was raised on a farm, and seen it used on large areas. the old timers here sometimes use it because it is also cheaper than herbicide.

Hamons
05-08-2003, 03:08 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Tell me your kidding?

You don't think there are regs about spraying diesel fuel on a customers lawn? Are you kidding me?

BTW: Diesel fuel is absolutely a pesticide when used to control weeds.

Keep up the good work. It makes it easier for licensed chemical applicators to find new employees. It's not hard to sell someone on hiring me when the guy before me was out dumping diesel fuel in their yards.

CSRA Landscaping
05-08-2003, 03:10 PM
Yeah, diesel does become a pesticide if it's applied to get rid of weeds, etc. I went with Sahara. Thanks!

Hamons
05-08-2003, 03:20 PM
OOPS! -- said employee above where I should have said customer -- trying to multi-task too much. Tough when you have a simple mind like mine :)

captken
05-08-2003, 03:35 PM
technically then diesel fuel might be considered a pesticide when used to kill weeds. however it is NOT classified as such. it is a motor fuel and it does work, just don't go overboard on its usage. this is an honest respose to a inquiry concerning killing monkey grass and from what i gathered herbicide application did not work. I would never spray diesel fuel on a lawn.....

a simple solution, nothing was said about dumping.... also, if your in the market for a toyota be sure to stop in the store in olathe, my brother owns it, i'll tell him to be sure to give you a special deal....

Hamons
05-08-2003, 03:47 PM
I may have gotten cranky there --- I apologize.

I just get frustrated when I feel like someone is so flagrant about trying to skirt the law. I don't think that is really what you are trying to do now.