PDA

View Full Version : area by parameter

kels
03-27-2003, 09:05 PM
I have an opportunity to quote 2 very large and oddly shaped flower beds to install mulch. I am trying to figure the area by parameter since it is not a normal shape.

One bed is 285' (parameter)

Would this formula work?
285' / 4 = 71.25'

make it a square with 71.25' being the sides
71.25'(width) x 71.25'(height) = 5,077(sq feet)

now convert to yards:
5,077 / 100 = 51 yrds of mulch

I want to be real sure about the quantity on this one.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Meier
03-27-2003, 09:24 PM
Is the bed circular in shape?

If it is, area = pie( 3.14) times Radius squared

If it isn't circular, I would measure the length and the width and miltiply the two to get area. Then you just need to figure out how deep you want to install the mulch. I generally figure on 2", so a cubic foot covers six square feet.

I use a standard price of $.40 per square foot to pull weeds and install mulch. Probably too cheap, but I'm still learning. May up the price as the summer heat starts coming on.

Later,
DFW, TX

kels
03-27-2003, 09:33 PM
These beds are not a circle, square, rectangle nor triangle more like a very deformed set of kidneys meshed together.

Alan
03-28-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by kels
These beds are not a circle, square, rectangle nor triangle more like a very deformed set of kidneys meshed together.

And you're not going to find a formula that makes this easy either. Your square based on 1/4 of the perimeter "might" be right. But Lets see what happens if we run the numbers a little differently.

Assume the shape is a rectangle 10' wide and 132.5 ft long. Same perimeter, but now it is only 1,325 sf.

Or go extreme, make it one foot wide and 283' long. Still 285 ft around, but now it's down to 283 sf.

See where I'm going with that? No easy way to run the math and make it work reliably. Best bet is try to figure how many of those 100 sf chunks would fit in that random area.

kels
03-28-2003, 08:59 PM
Alan you are correct, thanks for the response, I called the customer and said I honestly do not know how much she needs and I would charge her x amount per yard and keep loading until they are finished. I figure this way neither of us lose.

AGLA
03-28-2003, 09:24 PM
You can usually break any shape up into approximations of rectangles and triangles. The area of a rectangle is lengthxwidth, the area of a right triangle is 1/2 base times height (lengthxwidth/2).

Another handy way is to eyeball the average length and measure it x the eyeballed average width. This works very well after a little practice.

You should do this to all your lawns and keep notes on them. You can do a much more accurate job applying fert by knowing you SF rather than going by the spreader setting. ie,. use 3/5 of a 5,000 SF bag if you have a 3,000 SF section of lawn. Spread it lightly in multiple directions untill it is all gone. You'll have even greening every time without ever looking at the setting.