PDA

View Full Version : any one use shred n vacs for clean up

ronnie Greenwood
03-28-2003, 01:58 AM
I was just wondering if any body uses shed n vacks for residental clean up and do they even work

Awilkinson
03-28-2003, 04:21 AM
I tried to use one once. It was a toro I bought used, very used, made it 10 feet before it died. worked good up till then. LOL. Now I have found that it is so old that I can not get parts for it. Glad it was only $55.00. Now it has a great home in the back of my barn.:angel:

TJLC
03-28-2003, 06:40 AM
I have an Echo shred n vac. It works very well for what I use it for. I use it along curbs mostly, to pickup leaves and cig butts, etc.

RidgeCon
03-28-2003, 09:52 AM
We use chipper/vacs, I imagine they are the same thing. We do a lot of municipal clean up of parks, sports field etc. They work great for us, we can set them so they will stand grass straight up after vacuuming. Clients love it because it it brings the grass back after a game and looks great. It has separate chutes for chipping and says it take a good sized stake but don't use it for that, just the odd branches we come upon during vacuuming.

Blessed 1
03-28-2003, 10:06 AM
It is the least used item that I bought in 2002. I have the larger Echo. PITA when a stick gets caught in the impeller and you have to get a screwdriver to take the tube off to get the stick out. I would not buy another. I need to start using it for curbs to at least get something out of it!:rolleyes:

weve
03-28-2003, 11:49 AM
I use my Echo shred n vac as little as possible. I occasionally use it on leaves, etc. in swirling wind conditions near buildings. I broke the impeller with a stick the first day I had it and broke a piece out of the plastic housing last fall. I glued the housing back together.

hnter
03-28-2003, 12:36 PM
the problem with the echo shred-n-vacs is that they will vacuum more than they will shred, i.e. sticks that will jam the impeller, bark and mulch that will rattle around in the tube or housing and go nowhere, and plastic bags and vines that will wrap around the impeller...and taking the tube off to clear any jams or stuck debris is a pain...i use my es2400 (replaced now with the 231) to clean window wells on occasion, but it can get frustrating...i imagine the other brands have similar problems...

PaulJ
03-28-2003, 10:44 PM
RidgeCon

I think you're talking about something different and bigger.

The shred-n-vacs are Handheld blowers with a large shut on the inlet and a bag on the outlet.

I use one some for cleanups. It's nice to get leaves out of doorways, corners and window-wells. also along curbs .
It can help get leaves better on windy days than a blower .
I will usually get everything I can with the blowers and mower then pick up whatever left with the vac.
Mines an Efco, I'll go with Still or Echo next time.

ronnie Greenwood
03-28-2003, 11:48 PM
thannks for the info i am thinking i will pass lol

BigDave
03-29-2003, 11:13 PM
I think they might be more beneficial to homeowners than commerical folks. I have the Stihl SH-85, and it's great to pick up leaves in the flower beds, and to double as a blower (though of course it's not a terribly powerful blower).

Dave

r.eckley
03-29-2003, 11:42 PM
I have a sthil sh85 and iuse it occasionly for vac & baging but i really like it on some of my comm. props. i take the bag off and just use it as a shredder. It really works good along chain link fences around ball flds at schools. Just suck leaves up and blow out pipe-shredded & disbursed no bagging.

MCGRAIL LAWN
03-30-2003, 02:00 PM
I have a Echo Shred N Vac on my lis to buy when my CRAPSMEN is dead. I have a Crapsman Leaf Bolower/Vac.

I got the service plan with it (Thank God).
It has been repaired over 10 times.

The end of last year it kinda blow up. Took 8 wks to repair.

Next time it needs repair it goes back to the store (SEARS) Satisfaction Guarented.

I will take me $100.00 cash from it
And buy an Echo Shred N Vac for $250.00

P.S.
We use it to vac up the leaves we blow into a pile with our Echo PB-650. The Crapsman does mulch dry leaves wery well. (Takes up less dumpser space.

Hud
03-30-2003, 06:00 PM
I've got an Echo Shred-N-Vac. It's 9 years old this year. It's been a good tool for me. Works great for vacuuming out flower beds, creeping juniper beds, ivy beds, etc. , places where it's easier to vacuum then blow.

I have to be careful about where I vacuum. For example, a rock or a piece of chunk bark can bind up in the shredder area, and blow a hole in the side of the case. JB Weld will fix it. Also, it'll build up a lining of dirt in the shredder area that needs scraped/blown out every once in awhile. Just leaving it go, the stuff hardens into concrete, and makes it especially easy for something, sweet gum balls or sticks for example, to lock up the shredder wheel/engine.

Kingram52
06-13-2009, 01:05 PM
I picked the Echo ES-210 recently, my dealer did not recommend the more powerful 230 because it picked up to many rocks. It worked great on this property in Scottsdale,Arizona. It works good in those hard to reach areas and gives nice final touch .

david shumaker
06-13-2009, 06:28 PM
I have an Echo Shred n' Vac. I hardly use the vacum, but use it as a back up blower. It's not something that I use much, so I wouldn't buy it again.