PDA

View Full Version : MOTHS ON LAWN

JJOHN22042
09-04-2000, 06:35 PM
I LIVE IN NEW ENGLAND MY LAWN IS LOADED WITH MOTHS IS THIS GOOD OR BAD? LAWN IS ALSO GETTING SMALL YELLOW ROUND BURN SPOTS. WE HAVE GOTTEN A LOT OF RAIN IN THE PAST FEW WEEKS.

I HAVE NO CLUE ON THIS PLEASE HELP.....

Ocutter
09-09-2000, 12:22 AM
I'll take a shot at this. The moths I dont know although I do have the same problems here in Jersey. The spots are $ spot. Look in the morning at the infected areas. If you see cob web like growth at the tips theres a problem. During the day you wll see a dry, bleached hay color on the top 1/4 to 1/2" of the leaf blade or if you see an hourglass shaped lesion IN THE MIDDLE of the leaf its $ spot. Either way its caused by heat and humidity. What I did- Bag the areas of infected grass, apply BANNER (95 bucks a qt) and apply diazinon for the moths. Hope it goes well

NeilG
09-14-2000, 10:53 PM
One thing that I would check for would be grubs. Female moths lay eggs in the soil and larve stage would be some type of grub. They can deal havoc with a lawn, if not controled. They have an appitite for the roots of grass, so if you can pull on the sod (like pulling on the end of a piece a carpet) and it comes up, look in the soil profile and if you see more than 2 or 3 per square foot, the area needs to be treated. There are a number of grub control products available, some cheap, others rather expensive.
It's been a bad year for them around here for us.
NG

Lazer
09-14-2000, 11:32 PM
Sod webworm adults.

Need to apply Diazinon.