PDA

View Full Version : Telemarketing

e-RoK
03-28-2003, 07:11 PM
Does anyone use telemarketing to generate business & how effective has it been for you?

adrianvbarrera
03-28-2003, 08:00 PM
I don't use it but will be putting it into effect in the next couple of weeks. I have a automated system that I will put into use.

I will keep you posted.

Adrian

Ed Ryder
03-28-2003, 08:38 PM
Yo, I thought automated dialing systems were illegal. Check the Telecommunications Act of 1991. It is either 91 or 92. Unless something changed, you can't make commercial solicitations that way. It is for non-profit orgs and politicians. I believe your exposure is $500 per violation.

The act also covers fax broadcasting. You can't do that either unless you have a pre-existing business relationship with the person being faxed. And I know for sure the exposure is $500 per violation.

Kady Landscape
03-28-2003, 09:32 PM
I call good neighborhoods that I know.

Be polite and keep it quick.

drobson
03-29-2003, 12:17 AM
I don't know about other states, but in MA they have a new law that all telemarketers must purchase a state do not call list and must make sure they do not call any numbers on the list.

Last I heard there were over 800,000 households that have signed up for the do not call list. I don't know the fine for not adhering to the list, but I've heard it's a big one.

LawnMowerMan2003
03-29-2003, 02:18 AM
I wouldn't advise telemarketing. People just don't like telemarketers, and there's way too many of them already. I think your repsonse rate would be much better just going from door-to-door and talking to people that way, especially since it will be ovbious if the lawn needs mowing. You can say "I have my equipment with me, and I'll do it right now for X dollars." I haven't actually tried this, but I plan on it, because I was given this advice recently by another small service business owner. I think it works well because people are impatient. A customer just told me that they called one of my competitors first, but they were told they had to wait 2 weeks, so they kept looking.

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
03-29-2003, 09:48 AM
telemarketing....I havent done it yet but just think about how many businesses have been built with it.Sure I hate those people calling me at home but you can get alot of responce out if it,I say go for it and tell us how it works out.:cool: Dont listen to that negative stuff there saying im sure they just dont know about the services as much as they think.:)

adrianvbarrera
03-29-2003, 10:37 AM
Well,

I am going to try it anyways. Being that i have an $8000 telemarketing machine already. I have very little to lose.

Even if the response rate is .0001 it does not cost much for every call and it does it day in and day out.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Adrian

LawnMowerMan2003
03-29-2003, 05:17 PM
I'm sure your approach could make a difference in the success of your telemarketing. I used to do telemarketing for a large company and I thought they were too pushy. When somebody calls me with an offer, it makes me mad if I tel them no, and they keep pushing it. And that's what most telemarketers do. So even if I was considering buying a product, I would not buy from a pushy salesperson. If I was going to telemarket my service I might offer a time-limited special, but I would give the customer a chance to think about it and call me back. I've never tried this, so in all fariness I guess I can't tell you it won't work.

adrianvbarrera
03-29-2003, 06:15 PM
JustaLawn guy,

You are right the telecommunications act prohibits it but it has been ammended and atleast in Texas they have some guidelines that you need to follow and of course a PERMIT$$$$ that you need to get.

The DoNotCall list must be followed unless you are in a business that is licensed by the state ie Insurance and so forth. IF you are licensed by the sate you can still call these numbers on the DoNotCall list.

Just thought you guys might want to know.

Adrian

GraZZmaZter
03-30-2003, 07:30 PM
Adrian

How exactly does your machine work?

These people have to talk to an automated machine??

Thanks

adrianvbarrera
03-31-2003, 11:45 AM
Actually,

It dials from a predetermined list or makes up random numbers from a certain prefix or suffix. That way it only dials a specific area that you are working. For example if your customers number is 234-5678 then you can call all the numbers in the 234 prefix so that you can increase route density.

The message is read to the prospective customers and there is a list of options where they can choose what to do next. If they are interested it can transfer the call real-time to my phone and I would answer and take over. It can also let them enter their name by talking and then someone would follow up on it. If they want to end it they can just hang up or they can also remove their name from the list so that they will not be bothered again.

It has alot of flexibility in how it does the calling.

I was thinking of setting it up where it would transfer the call to me if there was interest in my services. Telemarketing might be great but a real person beats everything flat out.

The only bad thing about it is that there are alot of regulations and rules you must follow and they vary form state to state and even county to county.

If anyone has done this in the Dallas Texas area please email me I need as many hints and tips as I can get.

I will keep you guys posted.

Adrian