PDA

View Full Version : double blades??

SLC INC
09-04-2000, 09:16 PM
You guys that use double blades, do you just bolt the blades to the spindle in an + pattern or do you make some kind of bracket to hold them in an + pattern.
If you just bolt them without a bracket do they ever slip out of the + pattern?

Thanks
SLC INC
Minnesota

Turf Cutters
09-04-2000, 09:28 PM
I used to just tighten them down in a cross pattern. It work pretty good until you hit something solid like a watermeter cover or a tree stump. Dixie Chopper has come out with a adapter that works real well. The cut is great.

Evan528
09-04-2000, 09:31 PM
I know Eric has anserd this question 80 times so ill anser it this time. Eric said he never used a braket untill recently because it came as a option on his new chopper. for many years he used the double blades in the "x" formation with just the bolt and they stayed put pretty well. ONCE IN A WHILE if something he hit something he'd have to looosen the blades and re configure them but it took 2 minutes and it was very rare.

bob
09-04-2000, 09:35 PM
Lets beat this subject, like a dead horse! ;)

Eric ELM
09-04-2000, 09:48 PM
You took the words right out of my mouth. :) Sounds like you heard that before!!

SLC, don't go buying anything special til you see if you like them. I'm sure you will though. Just use what blades you have to try them. I have an article on my website about double blades.

John DiMartino
09-04-2000, 10:05 PM
I use them and they will slip if they arent tight,but other than that they are good.They do rob quite a bit if power from the engine,which then runs hotter and burns more fuel,but the cut is finer,I like gators/low lifts,the clippings come out very fine this way and very rarely will you have to doublecut with this setup-even if the lawn is way to tall.I tried high lifts/gators but they draw a lot of hp and they dont throw th clippings any farther than lowlifts when used with gators.

SMB
09-04-2000, 10:11 PM
Eric, you've got me convinced-my Gators for the bottom blade should be in tomorrow. I know it will rob a bit more power from my Kawasaki 19 on my 48 inch cut, but I hope it will keep me from double-cutting, for the past week we've been double-cutting everything-it's been WET and we have no choice. Thanks so much!

Evan528
09-04-2000, 10:40 PM
19 hp for a 48 inch mower is over kill anyway! ive used 48's with 14hp kawisakis and theyll go through anything! you will not have a lack of power with double blades!

John DiMartino
09-04-2000, 11:11 PM
SMB,gators dont like wet grass that much,they tend to plug the deck easier,at least on my DC anyway,I would use a hilift,low lift or double hi's in the wet grass if you dont like the gators

SMB
09-05-2000, 03:30 PM
John, I'm just trying this, I will probably try more combonations next year, and keep different kinds of blades around. And Evan528 our Bob-Cat won't bog down!