PDA

View Full Version : pavers over existing steps

JML
03-29-2003, 10:11 AM
I have a customer who we just installed a paver driveway and sidewalk for. He wants to do paver steps/entraceway next. He has an exisiting concrete stoop which is probably 20+ years old. The thing is in great shape, no cracks or anything. It is every bit of four feet into the ground. I think Sadaam could use this thing as a bunker. Can you just overlay and glue pavers to the concrete? What would be the best method. Thanks

dougaustreim
03-29-2003, 04:22 PM
If the concrete is smooth and level, just glue them on. It has worked for us. We have also had people take the same paver we used for the walk etc and had a mason build them into a new step.

Doug
Austreim landscaping

Shuter
03-29-2003, 06:05 PM
Just a suggestion, but granite works well with and adhesive on concrete.

AGLA
03-30-2003, 10:02 AM
Somethings to think about:

Is the additional 2-3/8" of the paver going to cover wood at the threshhold?

Is it going to create an awkward height step going into the house? (2-3/8" lower than now)

If the walk already goes to these concrete steps, the bottom step will have a higher riser than the rest of them unless you adjust the walk. (2-3/8" higher than the rest of the steps )

Maybe these are already being addressed, but I thought I'd point them out.

JML
03-30-2003, 01:32 PM
We haven't put the walk to the step yets, and he is getting a new door put in anyway so the builder will match the height of the steps. What would you guys recommend using on the sides of the stoop? thanks

zedosix
04-02-2003, 12:29 AM
Please don't cover the side of the step with brick. This would look horrid. You want to create a permanent step feature so either build planters to the side if possible or just rent a hydraulic breaker and remove the damn thing. Then start from scratch.
If you are bonding brick to the existing step there are some good products out there. Personally I use pl premium. It will work wonders but just make sure the brick is dry. I do about 20 or 30 of these type projects each year where covering a cement porch or steps is part of the job. It definetly takes some patience and much cutting and measuring to get a perfect job. You will want a very smooth and even surface to work on.

Good luck

Turfdude
04-03-2003, 12:03 AM
JML,

I have seen many just use a wall product to but up along each side of the steps in the same color as the walk & glue on caps. Looks good when finished & gives appearance of all new construction.

zedosix
04-03-2003, 09:32 AM
That works also, but if you live in an area where there is clay you may have a problem. Anytime you build independantly of the concrete structure you are asking for trouble. The brick that is laid or glued to the concrete will never move. The wall product will move if the gound is not settled properly.

Do you have frost in your area. This is something to consider.

jaybird24
04-04-2003, 01:22 AM
I had this same situation on a job where I had put the pavers in at the level of what the old concrete sidewalk was. later the customer wanted the steps covered but the height would have been very awkward- finally we decided to cover them with ceramic tiles which are much thinner. The contrast between the bricks and the tiles turned out to give it a great effect- Given the situation I plan on using this design more often.

Tileman
04-04-2003, 01:48 AM
Have also ran into this problem with pavers beeing to thick. Ceramic,porcelain and also slate are great alternatives. There are also some brick veneers 1/4 to 1/2 in thick. Install with a thinset mortar,and grout. Can be used on the steps and risers and sides.

sierrascapes
04-05-2003, 01:40 AM
i agree with zedosix and I would just throw my two cents in,
which is to clean thouroghly the front stoop before applying the premium pl glue.
if its extremely dirty use a pressure washer