PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer heads falling off

landscaper3
09-04-2000, 11:40 PM
We bought three Echo 2601 trimmers as a alternate to our shidawas, the Echo 2601 has hardly and vibration but after trimming some of our commercial accounts and we put the trimmers back on the trimmer racks they are loose and if you pull them they pull right off. We had to replace two heads this season already they fell off while in transport to another job. We contacted Echo they siad they have heard no news of this and would keep me posted. Besides this problem we like them but are stumped on why?

Runner
09-05-2000, 12:06 AM
Where do they come off from? Does the threaded female part pull out of the head or what?

bob
09-05-2000, 12:16 AM
Go back to the Shindaiwa's. Let us know if you find out what the problem is.

landscaper3
09-05-2000, 12:20 AM
No just the spool part falls off there is a quarter turn spool to lock it in place thats where the problem is and as far as my shindawa trimmer its MIA someone borrowed it without my permission and ran regular gas motor problem.

eslawns
09-05-2000, 02:42 AM
Those Echo heads are junk. Just put on a different head. I get the ones that came on my Husky trimmers. They run about $17 each.

Jusmowin
09-05-2000, 11:46 PM
I sometimes have the same problem when my Echo spool gets lite on line. It never has that problem witha full spool of line.

OBRYANMAINT
09-05-2000, 11:48 PM
same trimmer same problem a few times tightened it up real! good and no problems for a few month (fingers crossed)

BobbyBcuttin
09-06-2000, 12:21 AM
I was haveing the same problem the best i could figure out the little notches inside the head were rounded off making it loose,replaced the head have not had any problems since

Lazer
09-06-2000, 01:49 AM
eslawns wrote:

"Those Echo heads are junk."

WOW, I buy Echo because of those heads! They've gotta be the most user-friendly trouble-free heads I've ever used. (In 20+ years of commercial service.) I have had maybe 50 of these units and never once did any repair.

I'll betcha the line is being wound the wrong direction... make sure it's wound COUNTER-CLOCKWISE when viewed from the BOTTOM.

[Edited by Lazer on 09-06-2000 at 04:52 AM]

dhenegar
09-06-2000, 04:29 AM
I agree with Bob go back to shindaiwa's. Can't beat em.

ztrmower
09-06-2000, 07:38 PM
Lazer is correct. This is the biggest problem, I see of all the customers that come through my shop. If you wind the line backwards they will come off. Hope this cures your problems. Keep us posted.
David

landscaper3
09-06-2000, 10:05 PM
I putting the string in the right way, problem is when you put the string and spool on the trimmer head you have to turn it so the white tab locks in place. It works for 1/2 hour or so but it backs off from that locking tab which is very small......

TurfMan
09-06-2000, 10:15 PM
We had that problem once or twice. What I did was remove the spool, And build up that little locking numb up with some super glue. Let it dry and put another drop on, so on and so on. then put it back together and try it. If that doesn't work i would suggest filling the spool up and super glueing it togther and when its empty, Toss it. and go get a new one. Good Luck

landscaper3
09-06-2000, 10:18 PM
10012 uses for super glue

landscaper3
09-06-2000, 10:20 PM
We decided not to fool around with these things we gonna put different trimmer heads like a Veri brand head.

Alan
09-06-2000, 10:25 PM
In 6 years of using Echo trimmer I have never had a head come apart. On the other hand I have had the head on my Husky come apart and lose the big spring inside. As for Shindawa trimmers I've got T27 and it feels like a club to me. I converted it to a powerbroom and use it like that, it starts and runs well, just feels clumsy to me. Overall I'm pretty happy with my Echo stuff.

landscaper3
09-06-2000, 10:30 PM
Hi alan the head on the trimmer is not the PROBLEM its the spool that goes on the head.

Alan
09-07-2000, 06:21 PM
I understand that, still never had one come apart on me. The head on my Husky would come unlatched, puking spool, line, and internal spring all over the place.

Charles
09-07-2000, 07:42 PM
I like the echo head attachment. Never have had a problem. Most stores keep replacement spools. I buy another spool when the cap end piece falls off. But i usually have gotten my moneys worth out of it. I just never bump it on the cement or road so it last longer. I have never had the trimmer head fall off

[Edited by Charles on 09-08-2000 at 02:36 AM]

Getmow
09-07-2000, 08:46 PM
I am with Lazer on this on. The only time any of my trimmer heads come off is when an under trained employee wraps the spool the wrong way. BTW we have 8 of these units in service now.

MJM Landscaping Inc
09-08-2000, 12:36 AM
I agree, they usually come off when an employee winds them up wrong. What we do is this: When they come off we put a couple of drops of thread locker on the threads. It holds it tight but can be removed if neccesary. Ive never had 1 come off after doing this. Hope this helps!
Mark A Musolf

landscaper3
09-08-2000, 12:41 AM
After further investigating 1)the line is being installed the correct way, 2)the head itself is not the problem its the spool that attaches to the head that little white knub that locks it in place doesnt hold it. Going to order the Veri head and have no more headaches.

Brian
http://www.nebsnow.com/ideallandscaping

BRL
09-08-2000, 11:10 PM
I've been using Echo for a few years also. This same problem happened to me with a new guy working for me. Everytime he got done using it the spool was loose or fell off and I couldn't figure out why. After the 3rd stop I watched him trimming and saw that he was basically dragging the bump head along the ground, which then essentially holds the spool while the machine is turning against it, in the correct direction to take off the spool. After I showed him again, how to properly trim, no more problems. Make sure you're not dragging it, or holding the bump head onto the ground, instead of tapping it to get more string.