PDA

View Full Version : yard sodding

JTS lawn care
03-29-2003, 09:05 PM
i was thinking about getting into yard installation this year like prepping the yard and laying sod. i was wondering if this would be a good thing to get started in doing. if so is there a lot of profit in doing this.

mdvaden
03-30-2003, 01:10 PM
I am a firm promoter of experience and education.

Nobody should go into business without first gaining experience and education.

You asked a question about a kind of work and timing - when you can answer that question correctly yourself without guessing, you will be closer to being ready to go into the sod business.

If someone needs to ask a question that basic, it indicates that they lack the needed ability to do that work from a business angle.

That's not meant as a criticism. It meant as a fact.

If I did not know when to prune trees, and had to ask, then I am not ready for business. I need to work for someone and get the experience.

Once I learn, the question is no longer needed.

roscioli
03-30-2003, 07:00 PM
While I agree in some degree to the other reply, a good way to find out the answer is to ask. I have learned almost everything I know about landscaping from lawnsite, and picking through valuable threads here. Sodding can be profitable, but is hard work too, just as anything else in the world. Get a book. Search Amazon.com or half.com or ebay even for books about sodding, or lawn installation, or any of a million other techniques, read, and learn. OR, search here, read and learn. Either way, do some reading.

SWD
03-30-2003, 10:39 PM
Yep, there is a lot of profit - however, you need to know what you are doing. I would work a couple of jobs with a LCO just to get your feet wet. Then ask your self if you still want in.

paponte
03-30-2003, 10:54 PM
There is and always will be money in landscape design, installation, and construction. Knowledge is a must, and more profit means harder work. You will most likely need to get some laborers, and some new pieces of equipment. :cool: