PDA

View Full Version : Pole saws- Echo or Stihl?

Runner
09-05-2000, 12:32 AM
I'm buying an extendable pole chain saw this week. I'm leaning toward the Echo 2400 because it's the longest and I like the handle setup on it. I've borrowed my cousin's Stihl, and it works great. Does anyone else have these saws?

Sammy
09-05-2000, 12:49 AM
I will be getting the Stihl pole saw next week to go on my FS-85.

little green guy
09-05-2000, 10:30 AM
Go with the echo with the 12" bar, it's a nice unit. I've spent days limbing with on of them. Just watch out for powerlines and don't stand 15 feetin the air in a skid steer bucket in the middle of a thunderstorm with one in your hand

yardmonkey
09-05-2000, 12:25 PM
I've been thinking of getting one too. Leaning towards the Echo for the extra length. Also found out about pneumatic pole saws made by Maibo. More info at http://www.airprune.com I found out about them through a catalog I got from American Arborist Supplies at http://www.arborist.com The pneumatic saw is expensive - about $800 with 11' telescoping pole. And then you need a compressor. The saw weighs only 4 lbs since there is no motor on it.

I do some light tree trimming from time to time and enjoy it. I am wanting to go more in that direction and do less mowing, mainly because of problems with the hands that I think are due to vibration from the mowers. I know tree work can be dangerous but there's ways to be careful and I think it can be good money and year round. I wonder if anyone knows of places on the web with lots of info on tree work. It would be cool if there was a forum like this one just for tree workers.

Getmow
09-05-2000, 02:26 PM
I have the echo...VERY NICE.

bob
09-05-2000, 05:52 PM
I'd go with the Stihl FS-85. Along with the saw head, you can add a power scyhte or adjustable hedge clippers. Not to mention it's also a string trimmer.

curlawngreen
09-05-2000, 06:06 PM
I have the POWERPRUNER made by ECHO, 3 years old. It does what it should do.

Toddppm
09-05-2000, 09:52 PM
I do tree work all the time and i see no use for one of those things. I can trim faster with a sharp razor pole saw and not be anywhere as tired. I used one my friend has a stihl, didn't like it. Can't make a proper cut at the right angle with them half the time anyway.
Yardmonkey check out the forum on the International Society of Arboriculture , they have a tree climbers forum, pain in the butt to get on though. If you look through the other chapters websites some of them have forums too. One called the Knot hole discussion board ,pretty good, A recreational climbers forum also is treeclimbing.com.

rosco2350
09-05-2000, 10:02 PM
I heard that echo is a good brand, I have a FS-80 sthil trimmer and it has the same motor on it. Have had no problems with it and runs good and fast. If I were you stihl came out with a new weedeater called FS-85RT multi-cut Professional Series which has 6 interchangeable attachments including a pole saw. You should find a book on these trimmers at your stihl dealer. Then you know you will get plenty of use out of it.

Runner
09-07-2000, 12:10 AM
Well, I purchased the Echo 2400 today. I have to say, with a 17 foot length while extended, I have no regrets. I also bought an extra chain so I can always keep an extra sharp one on hand. I like the handle setup much better than the Stihl. I have to say though- I do NOT understand Todd saying that he could trim faster with a razor sharp pole saw and not be as tired. I would LOVE to see that!

Toddppm
09-07-2000, 09:34 PM
Anytime! If you are trimming limbs that high i could climb up and trim them faster too or how about a ladder? Not knocking you but there are better ways. Always nice to have new toys though!Hope you make some money with it.