PDA

View Full Version : Price this spring cleanup?

Organic-man
03-30-2003, 03:13 PM
I have a place to spring clean that is about 1 acre. The lawn was planted last summer and still has a large amount of straw on it. They have no landscaping yet. They have a huge locust tree that must have dumped the maximum amount of pods a locust tree could ever give. The yard is full of silver maple leaves too. I will be using an Exmark Lazer Z HP with the UltraVac, so want to know how long you think this will take and what should I charge. I will be doing this place myself with one other worker to help. I am suspecting we will end up using rakes to get up the straw and pods. This is the first property of this sort I have ever bid on yet. One more note, these people are on a budget, but not a very cheap one. Give me what you would call a discount price but not a scrub price. Thankyou.

KenH
03-30-2003, 05:44 PM
If it was just planted last fall, I would take it easy on the hand raking. You might end up tearing out alot of the seedlings. What do you need to get paid an hour for your employee, equip., and profit??

Organic-man
03-30-2003, 07:29 PM
$20 dollars for my brother, and $45 to cover me and equipment. I go easy on my price right now because I am still new to the business.

KenH
03-30-2003, 07:37 PM
Im not sure how you work, but would 3 hours for 2 men be a fair estimate?? If so, then $195.00. I would charge $225.00 to cover unexpected expenses. You would know better than me though on how long it would take.

Organic-man
03-30-2003, 07:59 PM
I am the kind that takes an hour to do what a hired hand would take 1 1/2 hours to do. That price was around the ballpark I was thinking, but I need some more experienced estimates before setting my price. The major problem is the locust pods. Does the lawnmower suck them up alright? This could be labor intensive work.

paponte
03-30-2003, 09:38 PM
I am the kind that takes an hour to do what a hired hand would take 1 1/2 hours to do.

If you can find help that works as hard as an owner, let me know where I can get them. Thats always the case, hence why you make more. I have never used a vac system on an exmark, but I know my walkers pick them up. Figure out an hourly rate, and estimate how long it would take you. I always add an extra 1/2hr on the estimate just in case. Even if you do go over, just make it clear to the customer that it should take about that time. :cool:

Organic-man
03-30-2003, 10:34 PM
Well, I do have 1 worker that works as hard as me and that is a fact. He is one of my brothers, 11 years old. Sorry, not for hire! I am amazed at his work ethic. Maybe he will surpass me one of these days and become a formidable competitor, LOL.

GarPA
03-31-2003, 05:14 AM
be careful assuming the hp will pick up the locust pods....I have 2 big locusts and for some reason this year they decided to dump thousands....they are so darn hard and big...the ultra vac got some but I had to hand rake most of them....a wild guess I'll give you would be somewhere in the 4 to 6 hour man hour range..gate down to gate up

Foz
03-31-2003, 07:21 AM
Ditto the be careful about new grass, you don't want to tear out the shallow roots with to heavy of a raking effort. I would price at 2.5 hours for 1 laborer & 2.5 hours for 1 operator with a pc of equipment.