PDA

View Full Version : paperwork & secretary

hustlers
03-30-2003, 05:12 PM
I have a small lco but am sick of paperwork and billing.
So, i hired a part-time secretary. Me decision was work for someone else or hire a secretary, well see what happens

Do you owners do your own billing or have someone else handle
it.

baddboygeorge
03-30-2003, 05:38 PM
had a few secretariesin the past but hell they made matters worse !!!

adrianvbarrera
03-31-2003, 03:28 PM
Be careful with hiring people to do your internals.
They can mess things up even if they don't have bad intentions.

The first couple of months you have to be right with them for everything so that they do no change the way you do things.

You are not just going to hire one and never do any paper work ever again. That just doesn't happen.

Just a thought.
Adrian

MacLawnCo
03-31-2003, 03:47 PM
get a girlfiend :)

LawnLad
03-31-2003, 05:41 PM
Or a wife!

Having a book keeper is nice. However, my experience tells me that you need to be very careful about what you let them work on and see within your business. And, as previously mentioned, make sure you clearly define what they must get done and how they are to do it. Check lists and sign off sheets will help initially until they understand the routine and until you feel like you can trust them.

Remember - this is your money, not theirs. On receivables they may under invoice people or not invoice work at all. Be alert. On payables, make sure you have all statements with matching invoices come to you before they're paid otherwise things may be getting paid of which you're not aware.

One last suggestion - You should always do your own bank reconciliation. This way you can monitor your money. I do not recommend adding their name to your account unless they have a wedding band on their finger.

And a last but not least... Accounting has three goals. They are to be on time, accruate and useful in presentation. Keep to these principals and watch your books like a hawk and book keeper can be a nice addition if you can carry the overhead.

MacLawnCo
03-31-2003, 06:47 PM
Definately agree with Lawnlad, but want to add that you need to be very cautious with who you hire for this job. I know i dont want just anyone seeing all my numbers and then going and flapping their mouth to anyone. Not cool, IMO.

Shuter
03-31-2003, 07:37 PM
I found, after my wife starting to ask questions about the paperwork, that it is better for me to do the paperwork. I know where everthing goes and where the money is.

KenH
03-31-2003, 08:06 PM
I couldnt imagine someone knowing more about my business than me. I do it all myself, including payroll. My wife does do 'no more work' calls for me though, which is a big help.

hustlers
03-31-2003, 09:04 PM
thanks for the insight,
I ended up hiring my mother, who knows alot about
the business and can trust her more than my girlfriend, and she
is a good secretary, just taught her the billing programs

I decided I will continue doing bank stuff myself.

Paradise Landscapes
04-02-2003, 12:16 PM
I am one cheap SOB! My mom took a business coarse and an accounting coarse. She does everything for me, A great job no problems. Get this:
FREE SERVICE!:D :D :angel:

fblandscape
04-03-2003, 12:01 PM
I would use my mother, or father before I would EVER trust my wife / girlfriend. I know too many people who had their wives doing the paper work for the company and they got screwed sooner or later.

grshppr
04-03-2003, 12:24 PM
I've had a friend come in from time to time to help me catch up on paperwork. She took business management in college, and knows what she is doing. It works great for me, because I can be out there making money, instead of wasting time trying to figure my paperwork out. She does it in 1/2 the time I do, and has not made any mistakes yet.

Agricare1
04-03-2003, 02:09 PM
I think it all depends on what size of a company you are. We are large, so we need to have an office manager as well as myself in the office every day, But even when i'am right next to the "girl" she does make mistakes. Just watch over her\him closely until they start thinking about the business the way you do and you will find that you have more time to go get more work.