PDA

View Full Version : clause for designs

JML
03-30-2003, 05:02 PM
We do the digital landscape design, but because our area is so saturated with landscapers there is NO way to charge for the design only if you get the job. We have had a lot of customers asking if they can hold on to the pictures for a few days, what would you do? What do you do when a customer wants to look at your landscape design. I had a customer last year, that said they couldn't afford the design anymore. I drove by the other day and saw that they had tried, very poorly to install the landscape that I had designed for them. What do you do in a situation like that? Does anyone use a clause of some type to prevent stuff like this from happening? thanks

KenH
03-30-2003, 05:46 PM
Charge them for the design, and if you are awarded the installation, discount the initial design cost back to the customer.

Evan528
03-30-2003, 06:53 PM
I do not charge for the design but the client is only allowed to look over it while I present and expain it too them. They are not allowed to keep it for a few days. Several times a year ill have a client say we can not afford to have you do the install but we loved your design and can we pay you for it. I try to get 75 dollars an hour for the design work itself in these situations.

AGLA
03-31-2003, 06:37 AM
If they want to hold on to it, have them pay for it. Let them know that the payment will be deducted from the deposit if they go with you.

I had someone try it with me last fall. She had me come out to the house discuss the landscape. I told her that it was simple enough not to require a plan. I explained every detail of the design right there at her house. Of course I sketched a quick plan to do my proposal with. I sent her the proposal. She says that she is sending the deposit and would I send her my sketch. I said yes. I put the sketch into an envelope addressed to her and waited for the deposit. A few weeks later she calls asking where the sketch is. I said that I was waiting for the deposit because we have a policy not to give away plans because we have been burned in the past.

I told her that she could send me $250 (very simple foundation planting by hand on graph paper) to cover the plan that would be deducted from the deposit. She sent the money. I sent the plan. I never heard from her again. By the way, this is for an early July wedding and she needs it done ASAP. I don't know why, but I knew she was playing me. I'm glad I did not give in.