PDA

View Full Version : Need a price on retaining wall

Derric S V L
03-30-2003, 08:10 PM
I got 70 feet long and 2 feet high retaining wall I' m going to use hard split landscaping blocks 12'' long witch makes 420 blocks.
Material will cost me 1100$ . How much should I charge for labor?:dizzy:

Bergbigler Lawn Care
03-30-2003, 09:02 PM
When i install walls, i usually use the keystone walls, i charge about $30 per square ft. This can be higher or lower depending on the difficulty of the job. This price includes material and labor.

Rex Mann
03-30-2003, 09:56 PM
Never charge by the square face foot. I tell you why in the following example.

If I call and say I need a 200 SFF(square face foot wall) how much. You tell me $30.00 sff.

Then person #2 calls and says I need a 200 sff how much. You tell me $30.00 sff

Wall 1 is 200 feet long by 1 foot high

Wall 2 is 50 feet long by 4 feet high.

See where this is going?

About 65% of your retaining wall building time is spent on the base course.

We charge by the linear foot for the base course. Then we charge another rate linear feet for the body of the wall. Then we charge for the caps (is the wall curved or straight)

Then look at the geo-grid issue.

But, what would we charge for this wall

$3,150.00

BTW: how thick are the blocks 4 or 6 inch?

Peace,

Rex

paul
03-30-2003, 10:01 PM
We just finished a wall the other day, about 150 Fc Ft, for a handicap ramp, $5250

Bergbigler Lawn Care
03-30-2003, 11:59 PM
Rex I agree with you, like I said in my post that price would change depending on difficulty factors. I have only installed about 10 walls in the last 3 years. If you would not mind sharing your price guide according to how much you would charge per base linear foot and then for the body of the wall and then for the caps, i would like to see it. Thanks!! We were told at the seminar, which was put on by the makers of the keystone wall, to price all walls according to square footage. After doing the first 2 walls my brother and I figured we would evaluate how much extra work was involved from job to job and adjust the price accordingly. Such as a longer wall would be a higher per square footage price and a shorter wall would be a lesser per square footage price. I really like the sounds of your breaking the whole thing down and pricing it accordingly, but i am not sure how you are doing this. The average per square foot price for a wall installed around here is $30.00, my question would be how would you bid according to this average price using your system for pricing.

Derric S V L
03-31-2003, 06:48 AM
Blocks are 6'' deep and the wall will have two 90 degr. curve

Rex Mann
03-31-2003, 08:43 PM
We do not care what others are charging in our market place. We know what we need to charge for our company to grow and prosper.

When it comes down to pricing it comes down to production hours. To obtain production hours you must keep records of all the tasks associated in building a wall. Also, keep track of different site conditions.

If you are just starting out or don't do many wall projects you could use industry standards.

To many companies charge X amount because it is the going rate. They have no idea if the are losing or making money.

We use these production hours to figure out what to charge for the base course, the body and the caps. Pricing also depends on materials used and corners and/or curves and how bad do we need the work:)

Peace,

Rex Mann