PDA

View Full Version : When to Lime??

jetsfan68
03-31-2003, 12:04 PM
I am repairing a damaged lawn.- In doing so - This past weekend I was able to remove most of the damaged and dead stuff- Now I have a lot of bare spots- (I also discovered some dead grubs!)

What to do first??

Lime first, then seed?
Seed- with started fert?
Grub killer (are they active now?)- I live in NJ

I spent a lot of time out there and want to move forward doing the right thing- Thanks

HicksGroundMgt
04-01-2003, 11:31 PM
First thing i would recommend is having a soil test done. which should be available at any extension office near you. the soil test is going to give you the information you need to accurately apply what chemicals you need to apply to re-grow a thick, lush, beautiful green yard.

Lime can be applied at any point in the year, if your yard is terribly low in ph you may need to apply lime in split applications usually one every three weeks to set your ph.

Seed too can be applied at any poin in the year. Choosing a seed that is recommended for your area will help tremendously in turning your yard into a wonderland. Fertilization with a starter fertilizer will get the seed up and moving towards the sun. Do not use a weed and feed at this time, there is a possibility of burning up the seed.

For your grub problem, unfortunately there isn't much you can do at the present time. you need to wait till the weather warms up further before any grub control methods will be effective.

Aereation may also be something you may want to look into doing if it hasn't been done in the past year.

Following these steps will help you in establishing a thick green yard.

Also remember that a yard doesn't happen overnight. it will take time. Rome wasn't built in a day!

Green Pastures
04-08-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by HicksGroundMgt
[B]First thing i would recommend is having a soil test done.

DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!

WE HAVE A WINNER. Great post Hick's!

You need a soil test done.

To much lime in the soil will reduce the acidity of the soil to a level that is to alkaline which is just as bad or even worse for grass.

It is a policy in my company, a NO EXCUSES, NEVER GETS BROKEN policy to never treat any new property without getting a soil test done. This way you know what to put down. Those 3 numbers on fert bags are there for a reason, so you can tailor the contents to what you need.

I re-test all properties every 3rd year.

jetsfan68
03-26-2007, 11:28 AM
So can I put now even though the ground is still a little cold?
Stil in the 30s and 40s here in NJ at night

1turfguy
04-01-2007, 10:06 PM
soil temps needto be a constant 50-55 degrees wait a few weeks.
you may want to look into a starter fertilizer w/ tupersan(crabgrass control you can seed with..its $$$) SOIL TEST..FIRST FOR LIME

dKoester
04-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Never put lime down with fertilizer it will cause a nutrient lockup in the soil.

topsites
04-03-2007, 05:10 PM
I lime anytime, there are many ways to cook that chicken, but I just throw it down and I'm done.

Unlikely you'll overdo it, you really have to throw down at least 1,000 pounds per 1/4 acre before soil tests come in handy, you can throw down 6 to 10 bags without further ado, the magnesium helps release otherwise inactive ingredients in fertilizer, and in smaller quantities like that it helps stabilize the soil ph.

I could be wrong, but most of the guys around here have had their soil tested, the results come up so deep in the red it don't make a difference, it's like using too much baking soda to neutralize something...

Which that reminds me to go pick up about 40 or 50 bags, I throw down 10 or 20 on my acre lot at least once / year, no soil test needed for that small amount and it always helps. The big thing is getting off my duff and doing it, but other than that...