PDA

View Full Version : Older Gravely Pro 50 - deck problems?

twzip
03-31-2003, 06:33 PM
I am looking for a used walk-behind and have learned of two older (1994-95) gravely pro 50's for sale; one is a hydro, one belt-drive. The belt drive has an 18 hp Kohler twin, the hydro a 16 hp B+S vanguard twin. They're pricing out the same, and both owners say the mowers run and cut well.

My question - I've searched this forum and have seen a lot of general complaints about Gravely w/b's and some specific complaints about the 50" gravely deck. Its not clear if everyone is talking about this vintage mower, however, or a later model that featured some design change. Does anyone have experience with the Pro 50 of this vintage that they can pass along? Thanks -

AGG Lawn Maintenance
04-01-2003, 12:38 PM
I had gravely Pro 50's back in 1988. They had 5 speeds and were very fast for the time. The decks were good for adjusting the cutting heights pulling out 4 pins to do so. The problem that I found was the quality of cut was poor. I also didn't like the Briggs engines on them.(problems) After a few years of having them the dealer support started to fall short. We went from three dealers down to one and then none. Maybe thats just my area. Things may have changed I don't know. But what I would recommend is that you go with a mower that you have the best dealer support. Meaning a mower that parts and service are readily available. In my area for instance 6 Bobcat dealers.
Being that you are looking at some used mowers again check out your dealer support. If you use it just on your house about an hour or so a week buy them. But if you plan on using them more frequently check into a couple of different mowers. In my area used mowers can be found in the Seasonal Items section of the Classified paper. Good luck. Travis

bobster
04-15-2003, 08:58 PM
Gravely makes a very good product! I have owned a PRO 50 walk behind for 23 years which has been very dependable. I've only had to repair a weld underneath the engine deck and replace belts and a couple other items.

THE PROBLEM with Gravely is there is NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT locally. If you call and ask or you go to their web site and look up your local dealers, the info you get is NOT the truth in my area. All the mower dealers say the same thing,.....WE USE TO.... but they don't even want to make the effort to contact Gravely. I got a lot of run-around and wasted time and effort. Seems there has been a lot of dissatisfaction with the company for some reason.

There is a place in West Virginia, www.gravelyparts.com, that is VERY GOOD and has parts and willing to order items. Even they don't have all the parts list, etc... so you have to have the part numbers ready to give to them. Fortunately, I still have all my original manuals and parts numbers list, even though many of the part numbers have been changed.

hobodewey
04-24-2008, 03:13 PM
I have been using an old Gravely Pro-50 18 HP Kohler for years. I purchased it from my Nephew who purchased it from his brother so it has a whole lot of mowing time on it. It is the belt drive which I prefer over the hydraulic. I love this machine! I had a liquid cooled Honda garden tractor prior to this and was mowing over 2 acres, and the Gravely cut my mowing time in half. No problems at all in the many years that I have used it. Only repairs on this machine was belts once, oil and filters.
Dewey from Michigan