PDA

View Full Version : Who is an under-20 member?

Pizpoppa
09-05-2000, 03:02 PM
As a 17 year old lawn mower, I was curious to find out if I am in the minority or majority. Just let me know and add a little something interesting that could provide us rookies with some helpful information if you want, like how many customers, equipment, etc. Thanks.

SMB
09-05-2000, 03:26 PM
I'm only 13! My Dad and I have a mowing "business" in Southwest VA. We are gradually getting commercial eqipment and next year we are going to try to get more business, but for the past 1 (ALMOST 2) years we have gone by word-of-mouth only and not TRIED to get more yards. We (I) started last year with a Massey Ferguson MF7 which is (WAS, not in use now) in awful shape, and a Lowes 12 HP 38 inch cut and a Homelite curved shaft trimmer and some junk push mowers. We used to really be "SCRUBS" but we have always tried to do a good job. I have a post in the Who, What, Where board near the end of the thread.

stslawncare
09-05-2000, 05:06 PM
Hi,
I will be 15 tomarrow. worked a lot mowing last year but do to parents separating i am taking this year off (moved). concentrating on learning and getting equip this year. ive learned more then any school teach me at lawnsite. i know there are atleast 5 other younger kids on this forum to.

kenneybros
09-05-2000, 05:34 PM
hey im 18
Ive been mowing lawns since i was about 8 maybe younger mabye older. i started just "helping" my dad push the mower in our yard. He has azma(sorry about spelling... I have no idea so i just wrote it phanetically)well anyways he had a hard time mowing the lawn plus i liked to do it so i mowed our lawn and then i got my grandmothers lawn I did her lawn for about 4-5 years 5 years ago so thats why i think i was 8 when i started. More recently 3 summers ago i knocked on a neighbors door and asked if he needed someone to mow his lawn. He let out a little laugh and explained that he owned his own landscaping company. He said that he loved to see kids making money so he said "sure." soon after that he asked i wanted to work for him and i worked all summer I learned a lot, but nothing really about mowing i only actually mowed my first day there. I worked at the stump dump he owned. I learned to operate loaders and bobcats and dump with a pto dump I fixed the machines changed the oil, even did an engine swap on an f150, also i fixed and maintained the morbark grinder. If you dont know what a grinder is its what they grind the stumps and brush up with. It had like a 300 horse cat engine, the actual cutters where like 2x4 inches and there where like 20 or 30 of them that wore down-broke off often and u had to change them. It was a great job even though the boss was actually a crook and probably on crack.
last summer i began looking for a new job and stumbled upon one for a guy that does mostly maintainance. It was a good job as well i learned a ton and worked there again this summer. During the last 3 years I worked for landscapers i continued to have like 4-5 regular mowing customers... and they will miss me when i leave in 7 days for the U.S. Airforce.

The Mowman
09-05-2000, 06:00 PM
17 Here!

little green guy
09-05-2000, 08:18 PM
i'm 16. I have my own landscape co. We do 25 lawns which takes about 1.5-2 days in the summer and the other 3 days we do landscape instals, fert, and other stuff like that. During school i cut back and only do lawns and cleanups. I usually have between 3and6 workers. I don't have my lisence yet so acouple of my friends with pickups work for me. I am getting my lisence in the spring. I am planning on bying a chevy 3500 pickup in acouple of months. I also have worked for another landscaper for 3 years, thats how i learned everthing. I still work for him when i am slow or can let my workers wotk by themselves.

Some of my major equip:
1-6.5x12 tandem trailer
1-52" scag hydro w/ velke
1-48" bobcat
2-36" exmarks w/velke
2-echo trimmers
1-redmax backpack
1-stihl backpack
1-8 hp giant vac push
1-5 hp push
1-mclain push edger
2-21" trim mowers
1-echo hedge trimmer
1-green machine hege trimnmer
-tons of handtools, wheeel barrels, spreaders and elctric saws, drills, grinders, mechanic tools.

i'm also planning on bying another push blower for fall

BTW- happy birthday stslawn

[Edited by little green guy on 09-05-2000 at 11:45 PM]

rosco2350
09-05-2000, 10:17 PM
Im 18 and I have been mowing for about five years. If you mow in a small or large subdivision do the best job you can and people will see that you do a great job of mowing. Get along with your customers as much as possible no matter what because they will usually tell other people how nice of a person you are and tell people how good of a job you do is when you will start rolling in the dough. Remember, the better job you do and pleasing the customer is a number one priority in suceeding in a business.

Turf Kutter
09-05-2000, 11:23 PM
I`m 13 trying to get prepared for next summer 2001 to start a part time lawn business.I am not too sure how to start but I would like to be ready before than after.What 21inch walkbehind should I get to start off?I have the other equip but I think I should start with a 21inch remember down here in Florida gates are small especially in my area.Would a 6.5 snapper or toro.I am lucky because I have a whole bunch of dealers around here very close dealers 3 of them in a miles range of my house but how should I start?I think I will try using flyers but I don`t want too much customers planning on 10-15 to start off no big rush for me to get a thousand lawns just a few does this sound good?????Thanks for your time guys.

Scag48
09-06-2000, 01:01 AM
I guess I'm in this crowd too. I just turned 14 and am planing for next year. I got started this year, the year before just mowed one lawn by request from a friend. All I can say is whoever is working when they're young is a good thing. I hear alot of people saying that our generation is lazy and that is the last thing I want someone to tell me.;) Turf Kutter-I'm in the market for a 21" or a larger walk-behind. For a 21", I would choose Toro. Ain't nothin' better. If I get another Toro, I'm getting the commercial model. I think I'd get the 6.5 GTS 3 speed with a BBC. Good luck with the purchase. Keep cuttin' guys.:)

chrisbolte
09-06-2000, 01:35 AM
19 Been in the business since I was about 12. Have over 100 full time accounts. Multiple commerical walk behinds and a zero turn. I also provide mulching services. Most important thing for new companies is to always keep the customer happy! Good luck to all.

SMB
09-06-2000, 08:12 AM
Just think... The time that most kids spend playing their Nintendos we spend making money.

Gruneich Lawn Care, Inc.
09-06-2000, 10:44 PM
Im 16 and have been mowing lawns since I was in 3rd grade. I was the first kid in 3rd grade to have a checking acount. I mow about 35 accounts. I run Exmark walk behinds and are looking for a rider for next season. Hopefully next year will be as good as this year.

Youngster
09-07-2000, 01:51 AM
I just turned 18 and have been mowing yards for about 4 years now. Great way to earn money!

Youngster

lawnMaster5000
09-07-2000, 04:57 AM
just turned 19 here this summer. I have been mowing for as longa s i can remember. Having just graduated from High school i was unsure of what to do w/ my growing business.

With about 30 weekly lawns ($700) i decided to invest in commercial equipment and hire someone to mow for me untill i return from college in 4 years. This summer i invested well over $6,000.00 in equipment. Now that i am at school my brother and cousin work for me making $12 and $9 respectively. With some expansion through the fall and next spring the business should be making ME money again by next fall.

i own: 1- Honda 52" WB
1- Toro 21" Commercial Mower
1- RedMax trimmer
1- Red Max BP blower
8x10 trailer
and use my fathers truck which i pay for everything on.

I wrote this attempting to show that there is no reason not to go to college. I believe that all of you should work your butts off not only on the lawn but also in the class room. I know that there are people doing it, but i certainly dont want to be cutting grass at 60.

FYI weekly PROFIT after all expenses including full insurance is about $200. Damn good deal. Go to school.

kenneybros
09-07-2000, 09:38 PM
Lawn master is definatly right. The way i figure it landscaping might not work out as good as i thought down the road. However training from the airforce and 4 years experience in the electronics feild will get me a job anywhere. That is if its absolutely necassary. I cant wait till i get out and go straight into the buisness. Its what i love to do. I dont even care what part of the electronics feild I get into..... Im gonna be landscaping after 4 years. Going to college is like having life insurance. I will always have something to fall back on. So get an education yung wons!!!!!!! Oh ya and im leaving in 5 days.

snow
09-07-2000, 10:33 PM
well, i'm 15 here. i'll be 16 in april. I maintain about 7 accounts. i plan to take on about 7 more this coming up year cause i'll be driving and i'll have even more equipment. my equipment is as follows:
a 48" exmark wb
a 4x8' trailer
(just got the two items above recently)
a 6hp 21" 6 speed snapper
a 4.5hp 21" toro mulcher
a 3.5hp 21" snapper 5 speed (a 1981 model, got free from customer)
an echo srm 2100 weed trimmer
a stihl br400 leaf blower
a giant vac 8hp blower
a little wonder 5 hp blower

<b>Winter items</b>
a 24" ariens 2 stage snowblower
a snapper single stage snowblower
a push sand spreader
a gravely L w/ a 48" blade (borrowing from friend)
POSSIBLY a bombardier sidewalk snowplow
sand/ salt
shovels etc

next season i plan on getting a bigger trailer, another 48" wb, an 11hp leaf blower, and a truck( might get one soon from a friend).

Bryan

tlcgrounds
09-07-2000, 10:51 PM
Hey you guys have a great start on something great.
I'm 19 almost 20 and I started back in N.J. when I was 8. I moved to Kansas when I was 14 and have been tearing it up. I am the largest contractor in a 40 mile radius. THe biggest key to success is not to sell yourself short. Understand the business side- job costing and expense tracking,etc and do a great job!!! We have two late model trucks, 16 ft dual tandem trailer, Two 60"lazers two walkbehinds and a plethera of other cool equipment. Take advice from everyone but analize it for yourself and use it to your advantage. Education is power, and youth is an ever ready resource. Always be safe. Email with any cool stories !!!!!

new-man
12-09-2003, 09:46 PM
im 11
i know im young
am i the youngest on the forum?

if your younger,please respond.

stslawncare
12-09-2003, 10:14 PM
wow this is an old thread. i feel so much older now, well i am, im 18 now. your only 11? wow, have any equipment?

eric22
12-09-2003, 10:18 PM
15 working on building my bussiness right now im cutting 6 a week trying to get 10-15 for next year in the maket for a walk behind mower any sugestions? ive been looking a exmark and toro

rob1325
12-09-2003, 11:08 PM
Wish I was again! :rolleyes:

dirtbikernas
12-10-2003, 02:09 AM
hey yall 17 here been doin this since 2nd grade

DieselDeere
12-10-2003, 11:22 AM
15 Here

oleo
12-10-2003, 01:12 PM
I am 20 and mow 15 lawns but I go to college full time majoring in construction management. In the summer I work commercial construction/laborer full time but also mow lawns after construction. Not to mention I also work at a restaurant on the weekends being a host on Friday night and cooking Sat and Sun. It's a busy life but I enjoy it and it pays off in the long run.

BigEd
12-10-2003, 01:51 PM
new-man your profile says you where born in 1987 which would make you 16. This would make anything you say unbelievable to me, why lie?

Rick Jones
12-10-2003, 02:17 PM
^^:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Scraper
12-10-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by BigEd
new-man your profile says you where born in 1987 which would make you 16. This would make anything you say unbelievable to me, why lie?

Why would you listen to anything the child had to say anyways? 11 or 16...they still haven't a clue on how to run a business. Not knocking them for mowing the neighbor's lawn, but why even ackowledge him?

Sauls1686
12-10-2003, 02:21 PM
17 will be 18 in May.

Not sure how long I am going to stay in the biz--I am not sure if it's for me. Right now though there is nothing else that pays as well and has such a decent schedule.

Right now I have a

Scag 48" WB
2 toro 21"s
1 echo trimmer
1 echo blower
1 poulan blower vac
6X8 trailer

I also work at a nursery and garden center.

MudslinginFX4
12-10-2003, 02:33 PM
Hey guys, I am 18. I have 2 full time crews working for me that mow around 132 yards a week and I do all types of installation. Did I mention, I am also a full time college student? I have been mowing lawns since I was 9 or so and have owned my business for about 3 years now. I am double majoring in hortculture/business.

Nw. Shadesofgreen
12-10-2003, 03:44 PM
I think it is great that all of you young guys are out there working hard and making a nice little pile of money.
I like most of you started mowing my grandmothers yard when I was around 10 or 11. I have been in the business ever since. I am 35 now. It can be a great career for all of you. Just make sure that you do a good job and keep making us older guys proud.
It is nice to see that some of the younger generations still have either been taught a good work ethic or are just self motivated.
Good luck to all af you.

Mike
NW. Shades of Green

C.T. Lawn Care
12-10-2003, 07:26 PM
I am 17
I have been mowing for 4 years... This past year was the first year that i really went commercial with my business and not just a neighbor or family friend mower. I have 15 accounts that range from $30.00- $190.00 per cut. I also have a plow for my truck that i use to plow snow in the winter. fully insured and licenced plant dealer... love this business... sometimes i have alittle problem with marching band conflicting with my mowing schedualing but all my customers know that i will get them done with 110% quality

cantoo
12-10-2003, 10:47 PM
Sorry, I didn't understand the subject. I thought it meant Who is an under 20 inch member. I've been soft lately, I'll leave now. :D

EagleLandscape
12-10-2003, 11:23 PM
I turned 19- November 28, 2003

ahh yah.

http://tellico.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/1198480-truck2.jpg

precisioncut
12-11-2003, 01:56 AM
Scraper-that's a pretty harsh statement. Ackowledge him or any one for that matter because they are trying. You don't need a degree to run a successfull business. You must have started somewhere, or did you buy your way into this business. He'll probably runs circles around some others here at Lawnsite.
just my .02

Scag48
12-11-2003, 02:19 AM
Wow, this is a really old thread. Makes me feel 10 times older. LOL. I sure have come a long way. I'm 17 now and I service 18 accounts weekly while working for my dad 3-4 days a week doing installs. Only another year of high school and I'm outta here, off to bigger and better things. After that I will be back in 4 years to take over dad's landscaping biz and keep going where I left off with my maintenance biz. Sure has been a fun trip!

Doster's L & L
12-11-2003, 02:55 AM
Scraper, you must be a crappy human being. I've read other posts from you similar to what you said earlier on here. You never heard the phrase, "If you have nothing good to say, then don't say it at all"? Shame on you!!! The kid may be a liar, but he is trying to make something of himself working, instead of jackin around the house all day. He's a kid, like you may have been at some point in time, on here trying to have a little fun on the kids-Pre20 thread. If he's goofing off on the other threads, that's another story. How about this, when you need help, why don't I not even acknowledge you?

maelawncare
12-11-2003, 03:04 AM
Woo i feel so behind most of you guys. Im only 19, but last year my company grossed 35k. Not bad i dont think for only working 3 days out of the week. But i still have a long way to go.

oleo
12-12-2003, 02:55 AM
ECM

What do you mean by 2 full time crews. How many are there to a crew? I just find it very hard to believe that you are this big and double majoring in college. College is a lot of work in the first place unless you are on the 8 year plan and taking only 10 credits/semester or something. Then controlling 2 full time crews. I am not trying to be a prick but it is just very hard to believe.

Good Luck!

soccerlawn
12-13-2003, 02:52 PM
I'm fifteen and I have been mowing since I was 12. I started out with my dad's tractor, but now I have a ZTR, stihl weed wiper and a Stihl bp blower. I would much rather mow lawn than do what my friends do at their jobs (flipping burgers and stocking shelves). As soon as I turn 16 and get my license I will buy and truck and trailer and get more customers outside of the neighborhood.

DirtTwist
12-13-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Scraper
Why would you listen to anything the child had to say anyways? 11 or 16...they still haven't a clue on how to run a business. Not knocking them for mowing the neighbor's lawn, but why even ackowledge him?

I'm 22, so not as young as some of these guys. I think you ment to spell acknowledge? And why acknowledge us? Because we are the future, and we will take care of you when your old, need to be bathed, feed and diapers changed. And to add to the post...I'm just about to graduate college with a degree in horticulture and just started my lawn care service last spring.

troblandscape
12-13-2003, 04:36 PM
I em 2, I have for cwews, and 1 weedwaky. I luv 2 kut gras

65hoss
12-13-2003, 04:38 PM
To all the young guys...stick with it if you like this business. As you grow up so will your businesses. Hindsight is 20/20. If I had to do it over again I would have never closed up my business that I built as a kid until the Navy. Where I would be now if I had kept going at the beginning instead of coming back to it later in life.

wojo23323
12-13-2003, 04:59 PM
65hoss - where wer you stationed while you were in the Navy?

Doster's L & L
12-13-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by troblandscape
I em 2, I have for cwews, and 1 weedwaky. I luv 2 kut gras

Wait, wait! Let me rephrase that. "??????????"

Gruneich Lawn Care, Inc.
12-13-2003, 08:46 PM
I didnt realize how old this thread was, I replied on 9-16-2000. It really makes me feel old now :(

Expert Lawns
12-13-2003, 11:31 PM
I have never felt so old in my life.

yostenlawn
03-04-2004, 06:52 PM
I am 18 years old now and have been commercially mowing lawns for the past 5 years (I will be turning 19 in a little over a month). I started off with 14 residential lawns and 1 commercial lawn. I started by hauling a pickup box trailer and a flatbed trailer behind a 1951 Ford 8N tractor. I have since moved up to 36 residential lawns, a cemetary, and 7 commercial lawns. Not too bad for a town of 450 people. I recently became a certified pesticide applicator and am adding on fertilizing to my services. I have also bought a 1983 Chevy K10 truck to haul my equipment with. Just finished up building a 8'x16' flatbed trailer and have almost completed refurbishing my old Ford tractor. My equipment includes a 2003 Poulan Pro Riding Lawn Mower 25horse/42 in. cut (I believe these are the best built mowers for the price, and I rank them over any John Deere), I also have a 1998 John Deere Riding Lawn mower 18horse/42in. cut, a 25cc echo straight shaft trimmer, a stihl 25cc straight shaft, 2 curve shaft trimmers, tiller, 2 stihl chainsaws (the onlly brand they make ain't it?), and 2 snapper 21" push mowers. I managed to keep up with all my yards through high school, and I went out for 3 sports and classes from 8-3:30. You young bucks out there....bust your ass now, because it will all pay off in the end.

s&wlawncare
03-04-2004, 08:26 PM
Hi, i am turning 19 in a few days. I have been in the buisness since i turned sixteen. I started with a craftsman which i paid 600 for used. I made enough money my first year to buy a john deere and now have a 16x6.5 tandem trailor 2003 20hp walker ghs, 2003 exmark 20hp 52cut lazer, and all stihl trimmers chainsaw blower etc. The thing i am most proud of it is all paid off and i am a legit buisness. I now service35 accounts and go to college in the morning and at night. This is a great route to take to get started in a career. Good luck to all of you!!!!

mklawnman
03-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Hi I'm just under 21, goin to be 21 in April so I barely am legal for this post. :p Wow this is an old thread brought back from the dead.
Started out back when i was 13 i believe after my dad started doing the neighbors lawns and also cut their apartment building that they own. We first just had a 91 ranger with a JD 214 lawn mower and a snow mobile trailer. Moved up to a 6x12' trailer and then my dad bought a JD 314 hydro so me and him could cut lawns at the same time. Then as high school came it was my summer job cutting lawns in the subdivison and my dads apartment building and part of this complex.
Since then I've grown from both JD's and that small trailer, to my current setup of dump truck and trailer to Scag mowers, to maybe later this year a JD Skid Steer and also lookin for a place to store my equipment. Formed corporation last year, now currently have about 25accounts we service weekly, mostly me and my brother now do the work with my dad helping sometimes when needed. Grown into more landscaping but maintenance is still a big thing. Would like to grow into having a landscaping crew and lawn crew.
For all those youngsters out there just starting, my advice is to keep ur self motivated, quality and respect your customers. If you get a chance, try to work for a bigger landscaper to get some experiance if you plan on going into landscaping.
Just alittle advice, have fun and enjoy it, we are only young once :D
Matt

sgoalie23
03-05-2004, 11:06 PM
16 here, had an actual business since i was 13. I have a Lazer Z, Metro Hp, 10 hp blower, back back, trimmer, edger, Chevy 2500 pick up and a meyer 7.5 plow and other stuff. Business is great in CT. I do lawn care, clean ups, fert, plowing, mulching and all the stuff that goes with it.

proenterprises
03-05-2004, 11:32 PM
16 BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

JRSlawn
03-05-2004, 11:45 PM
I just turned 18 in febuary and have been in the business sence I was 10. I know have 30 residential 10 commercial. I also do lawn and landscape installs. When I graduate this year I plan to go to Ohio State and get an degree in horticulture. My equipment conists of

1995 chevy 2500 easy dumper meyers snow plow
2002 ford ranger edge 4x4
2003 exmark metro 48 with sulky
2000 toro 52in walk behind
1996 john deere f510 36in rider
2002 Honda 216
2001 Honda 216
2003 E-z trench bed edger
Stihl Fs 80
Stihl Hedge trimmers
Stihl Br 340
Stihl Hand held
6x12 trailer

Soon to have lazer z hp 52in and 2004 chevy 2500 hd 4x4

GrassFearsMe
03-06-2004, 05:27 PM
I am 20 and have been around landscaping and lawn care since i can remeber. I currently run my uncle's business and go to college. When i was runnig my own company back at around 14 and 15 i couldn't get customers cuz nobody wher i live wanted anything to do with a teen working for them. Honestly i was looking into doing landsape installs and leavin the maintenace. Buttttt... Now i have to outdo all you kids!

little green guy
03-06-2004, 07:44 PM
Man this is old. I wish I was still 16 :( Now i'm workin full time with 2 crews.

lawnboyblake
03-06-2004, 09:22 PM
Hello all,
I am 18 and have been in the business since I was 12. I bought and serviced all my own equipment and paid for everything I own. Same goes for my accounts, all by myself. I also got into snowplowing with my truck this winter and it worked out pretty good.

1993 Chevy K1500 With Meyers Plow
1974 John Deere 214
Stihl Fs 74 Trimmer
John Deere BP 50 Backpack
2004 John Deere 737 w/54" Will pick up in April

terracare
03-06-2004, 11:40 PM
Todd and I are now both 19 and have been running our own company for the past 3 years. We both worked for another lco before this. We formed our LLC last year when we turned 18. We currently have 150 maintenance acounts lined up so far for this up comming year. We have also made plans to expand heavly into mid-large residential landscape instals due to the vast amounts of new construction going up. We are also seriously looking into purchasing a 3.5 acre corner lot on the main highyway leading into our town for our new headquarters assumig it will be zoned commercial. Oh yea, we are both going full time at a local collage for a business management degree

Here is our current equipment list:

1990 F-350 4*4 w/ ez-dumper
1989 F-250 4*4
2003 JD 4510 tractor w/ loader
2003 exmark lazerZ XP diesel 60"
2003 exmark lazerZ hp 52"
2004 Gravely 34Z 34" (picking up monday)
2002 exmark metro hp 48" wb
(4)shindiawa trimers T-230
(2)echo pb-610 blowers
solo backpack blower
(2) little wonder X-tra edgers
20' hurst landscape trailer
12' beaver creek trailer
and lots of various other goodies
(we will have a picture of everything next week when the 34Z comes in!)

new-man
06-24-2004, 10:10 AM
i am 11, i just said i was born in 87 to get into websites, i have a dynamark rider
bolens trimmer
craftsman 5.5 horse 21"
a agri-fab dump cart
and some old lawn cart

Itsgottobegreen
06-24-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by SMB
Just think... The time that most kids spend playing their Nintendos we spend making money.

For me, all my friends had dirt bikes and go carts. I had a lawn mower. That laughed at me. Well now I am the one laughing. They still are busting their butt at $7 an hour and getting yelled at by a boss. While I am bring in $50 a hour and am the boss.

I just turned 19. I have been doing this since I was 13. I have enjoyed most of it. Had hard times and good times. But its still fun.

I plan on doing this for a long time. Even after college. One year down, 4 to go. (master degree in engineering). My goal for next year is another truck F-350 or Ram 3500, ASL RC-50 and a new trailer. I am trying to do more landscaping and less mowing.

Good luck to all you teens. I made it. So can you.

jonnyg
06-24-2004, 11:40 PM
am currently 17 and have been in business for 5 yrs now with 15 accounts, most of them commercial. didnt really buy commercial grade equip till last 2 yrs. now run an exmark and a grasshopper. probably too much equip for 30 acres a week. its hard getting stuff done in the spring with school, sports and my dad farming. my dad works for me quite a bit and is the one with the spraying liscence.

dvmcmrhp52
06-25-2004, 12:03 AM
Man,just call me pappy.........................

Good to see young folks not afraid of hard work,does the heart good.

C.T. Lawn Care
06-25-2004, 01:11 AM
i am 17 will turn 18 in september... i have
95 GMC 1500
93 GMC Sonoma 4x4 with 7.5' sno-way plow
2000 z-mater
2003 bunton wb
lawn boy
2 crapsman 22"
FX85 sthil trimmer
br340 sthil back pack blower
weedeater edger
25 gal tank sprayer ( no licence so i can use it) lol
6.5x16' tandom axle trailer
Hs45 sthil hedge trimmer
toro 3.5hp snow blower
lots of other i just cant remember

i have been doing this for about 3 years and i love it! just remember guys do quality work and it will pay off and dont let them wiggle the price down because your a kid. let them know that the price you give them is the price that stands lol have a great year everyone and God bless!!

WoodBrothersLC
06-25-2004, 01:45 AM
16 and 14. Been mowin together for 3 years now and holding 20 residential accounts and a 2.5 acre cemetary.

Dave Burrow
08-04-2004, 12:01 AM
Hey Im 15, and I got started a year ago, My brother and i have our own business. We live on a farm in IL, we are extremely lucky because we get to use the farms JD Z-trak. Its hard to start a lawn business in a rural community, where no one wants to shell out money.....Its a great job! MUCH better than Flippin burgers!

MImowerkid
08-04-2004, 11:58 AM

I don't want to mouth off to a adult or anything but I am saying this from one lawn service to another . I am 15 years old and I know that I can run a business ten times better than half of the guys out there just mowing a neighbors lawn or two, now grant it I do not know anything about some of the more in depth topics or anything like that but that dosn't make me a bad to listen to . What is the saying , listen to a child , you may learn something from him/her .

WE ARE THE FURURE LISTEN TO US

RedWingsDet
08-04-2004, 12:04 PM
im 16. you see my equipment, i manage between 40-50 weekly accounts and cut them thursday and friday and landscape the other days of the week, sometimes running a crew to do landscaping while i cut.

i love being outside getting a tan for the ladies, plus the ladies dig it, and i get mad props from people that i own and operate my own business, and i DO know how to operate it. my step dad and step mom are accounts so they help me there, and my dad has a phd and is very knowledgable so he helps me out alot.

i plan to go to MSU and get a degree in landscape arch. and plan to have someone else run my business while im at college. im a junior in HS right now.

HondaFreak
08-10-2004, 02:01 AM
I'm 15 right here. I've been mowing since I was around 11. I have 5 accounts. I know, it's sad compared to everyone else. I need to hand out more fliers farther from my house. The reason I started was because I wanted a dirt bike, and the reason I'm still going is because I have a dirt bike.:laugh::jester: I'm waiting for my license.

crazyscaper
08-10-2004, 04:12 PM
16 here.......been in business 3 years. I now have 18 mowing accounts. I also do cleanups and snow removal.

Equiptment...
33" Stealth
Echo Weedwhacker
Redmax Blower
2 21" Craftstman
2 Small bowers
Lots of tools
Other various hand tools

TClawn
08-10-2004, 04:24 PM
I'm 15 years old and have had a lawn business for a little under a year.

D.A.M. Lawn Care
08-11-2004, 02:11 AM
I know this has already been said numberous times, but I just can't let this one slide. WHY WOULD YOU SAY THIS?!? I just happened to read yesterday of a 12 year old boy that put a sign up in his front yard that said "mowing $10 an hour". Just 12, go figure; 5 years later, he's got two trucks, two trailers, 4 full-time employees, and a six digit annual income. All at 19, so don't go l:gunsfirin to eveyone under 35.
There, just had to get that out of my system, feel much better now. :D

P.S. I am 17 and take care of all the bank repo houses for a local realestate agency, plus have a couple of accounts on the side.

BillyRgn
08-11-2004, 06:23 AM
im 16 and have been mowing for about 3 years the only advice i can give is buy good equiptment and not junk which includes a truck dont go cheap with a half ton i han a gmc 3500 with a 5.7 liter gas and a 98 2500 with a 6.5 liter turbo diesel