PDA

View Full Version : anyboby have a tree farm??

bridges
09-05-2000, 04:48 PM
So does anybody out there grows trees?
Right i'm growing hemlocks they are about a foot tall.

But i'm looking for 7' hemlocks. Do any of have any or know who does. I can't seem to find any.

I what to put out from of the house so we can't see the cars drive by.

Tony

kenneybros
09-05-2000, 05:14 PM
How old are those 1 foot hemlocks???? I have some that are about a foot and a half that are at least 2 years old. I dont have a "tree farm" even though my dad refers to it as that. If i find seedlings at yard clean ups or when i am up north on vacation i dig em up and grow em. I just recently got mountain ash, and some green spruce. The last yard clean up I did the lady had a 20+ foot tall japanese red maple... so i got about 20 2 inch tall seedlings. They havent grown in more then a month. I got a dog wood from under the tree in my own yard that was about 4 inches.... absolutely no leaves on it and right now its about 4 feet tall. I found it like a little over a year ago. My prize tree is actually the first one i ever got. Its a paper birch and its a little taller then me, Its really neat to watch them grow and to think you got them for free. I havent made any money from doing it but thats not why I do it. My stuff is just too small to sell even for a small amount. I do give them away to friends. my best friends parents have one of my hemlocks and my neighbor is getting as many burning bushes as she wants and rasberrys.

Sorry i cant help you find a 7' tall hemlock but im sure a local nursury would have them.. the only problem is they go for like 350+ a peice. Plus they may not have as many of them as you need

bridges
09-05-2000, 05:19 PM
My hemlocks about 2 years. we did you find yours.
i had to pay for mine.

kenneybros
09-05-2000, 09:14 PM
i forgot to put that most of the stuff i find comes from either maine or new hampshire. i basically dig em out of the woods. they arent very good shapes or anything but they are so small and free that it doesnt really matter... i can shape them as they grow. Its really not that bad of a deal except the ride home kind of sucks. my brother sat on one of my mountain ashes... its dead now.

thelawnguy
09-05-2000, 09:32 PM
why would you want to plant hemlocks in the northeast? They are being decimated by the woolly algeid(sp?) and the only hope for survival is diligent spraying twice a year.

Pick a less susceptible tree.

bridges
09-06-2000, 06:27 AM
They are the only broader tree i can plant in the shade.