PDA

View Full Version : How do I build my residential work?

GreenGrassman
04-01-2003, 01:42 AM
We have built our business on word of mouth and honest work, we haven't lost many customers due to the strong relationship that we have built up over the years. But we also haven't picked up as much new business as we would like. In May we are going into the yellow pages for the first time. Besides that, what are some affective ways to market for residential work.

Thank you :D

walker-talker
04-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Door hangers and fliers are how most pick up new mowing accounts. The reason is because you market the clients you choose.

MATT

Groundcover Solutions
04-01-2003, 12:56 PM
fliers are the best way to market (in my opinion) we never put an add or even our phone number in the yellow pages and we always had people wanting us to do there lawns. But like you said doing a good job and making your customers happy is the a good way to get more business if you keep up the good work you should be able to get some new costmers with flyers. Just make sure you put some time and effort into your flyer the more proffesional it looks the more customers you will get. Just my 2 cents!

BobR
04-01-2003, 03:40 PM
GreenGrassMan -- It sounds like you have happy customers, let them know that you are considering adding to your customer base and that you would appreciate any referrals. Maybe provide your client with a free cut for each new customer (good customer relations) also let your clients know when you have enough customers so that they can stop passing the word.
The only advertising I had was magnetic signs on the truck for the first year, removed then the second year (full schedule) now only interview prospective customers when I lose one from attrition (move or pass away).
BobR

adrianvbarrera
04-02-2003, 03:28 PM
GreenGrass,

This is what I would do.

Since you have residential customers already your search for new customers is twofold.
1) get new quality Residential customers
2) make sure that they are within your area. There is nothing that adds more to overhead than a new account that is out of the way of your normal routes.

I would personally get a list of my current customers and go in person and talk to their neighbors. I would tell them that I am running a special(f$10 of the first two months etc) and since you do their neighbors lawns they can take a good look at your work.
Decide the radius of your prospecting and give it a try. The radius should me no less than a block or two. How better to make a sale when you have an actual sample of your product/service displayed by a satisfied customer.

This will give you new customers and at the same time increase your route density which I have found out increases profits tremendously well at least in my computer simulated LCO.

Just a thought.
Adrian

Acorn
04-02-2003, 07:33 PM
with yellow pages, i found you get a lot of tire kickers. People price shopping. Easy for people to get at least 3 quotes there or more. Think of it, even if you get an even 33% (a third of 3 quotes) of the jobs you went to see, you still end up putting in time and money to 66% of all the other calls. From experience, I found the yellow pages to be not worth it especially with seasonal businesses. You end up paying twice as much for you add because it's only useful for half the year. So in a way, you are paying the yellow pages to cause people (tire kickers) to waste your time.