PDA

View Full Version : Up State NEW YORK

BobR
04-01-2003, 10:33 AM
Any one interested in bantering about Lawn Care for the Saratoga and surrounding counties ???
I am a one person operation in Saratoga county, all of my clients are in Amsterdam NY, I found it easier to concentrate on a smaller area and spend less time on the road.. How about this crummy weather, have visited a few of the high end lawns but cant use any power equipment yet (just picking up junk and fallen limbs) was even able to remove some Christmas lighting which has been frozen in..
Bob Rowe

Bob's Lawn
04-01-2003, 10:46 AM
I am a solo in North Syracuse here.

Unbelievable weather. I have visited a few of my customers, but not able to get equipment on lawns yet.

I've even been hesitant to put out flyers yet. Who is thinking about lawns with this weather?

Bob

LWNMWR1
04-01-2003, 01:44 PM
hey bobr, i'm in central vt. not much better over here. thought that winter going to break but here it comes again!! more snow weds nit into thurs and another shot maybe on sat. at least there is money in plowing

BobR
04-01-2003, 01:47 PM
Hello Bob

I just got back from my equipment dealer (picked up some filters and other goodies) and it is snowing again but the trusty weather man says that we are going to be in the 50's thursday, I'll believe it when I see it.

Bob R

bommaritro
04-02-2003, 12:21 PM
I have some family in that area. I am originally from the Ilion area. Have moved about 3 hrs south west to Elmira. The weather hasn't gotten any better here either. The last snow is starting to melt and the ground is straiting to dry up a bit. I have had nothing to do do other than pickup dog **** in my own yard. What a mess my poor back lawn needs to be completely redone. So now I have another cash out flow to look forward to this season. I just hope there is nothing else that may go wrong.

Ron

BobR
04-02-2003, 03:02 PM
Lwnmwr1 -- We are whining now about the cold wait till mid July and August when we would do about anything for a breath of cool fresh air (but that is what the North East is all about).

Bommarito -- No doggie doo here but it sure is sloppy, looks like you are getting this stripe of rainy weather before it reaches here. That darn bubble of Canadian cold has kept us all out of the 50's and possible 60's.. We need some dry breezes to suck up all the moisture.

BobR

SC430TT
04-24-2003, 09:40 AM
From Rochester,Ny here. Looking to start a business.

bommaritro
04-24-2003, 09:52 AM
SC430TT

Welcome to Lawnsite! Your in the right place if your looking for info on starting up your new company. Use the search feature alot you will be able to find out tons of information (plus you will be able to avoid the endless persecution of some members harassing you about not searching first.) Again Welcome to the site.

Ron

BobR
04-24-2003, 10:01 AM
Hey - Whas Happenin - are the guys from 'upstate' takin the day off ??? We had a trace of snow on the ground this morning and I said 'nuts to this, aint nothing that cant wait til the temp moderates a bit' so I am spending a bit of quality time on 'lawnsite'..
BobR

Bob's Lawn
04-25-2003, 10:48 AM
I have a question for you guys. I never wanted to get into fertilizing and weed control, but I have a couple of customers who will be asking for it this year.

I looked all over the NYS website looking for information. It is not very clear. Can I fertilize without an applicator's license? Also what is required to get an applicator's license? The website does not lay it out. It points you to a webpage for classes at Cornel.

Thanks,

Bob

bommaritro
04-25-2003, 11:25 AM
I have run into the same problem. Per my talk with local NYS DEC guy you can apply all the fertilizer you like, However once it contains and Herbicide or pesticide you need a license. So that means no Fert with broad leaf weed control same way withe fert plus grub control. Hell you can't even use Roundup without a license.

Here is a number for one of the state offices that handles applicator licenses. (518)402-8748 (DEC Central Office)

Base costs that I can remember
$50 for exam
$350 for Category(Lawn, Home, Industrial) Good for 5yrs
$450 fir Business Registration good for 3yrs

Here is a link to the web page that has tons of info for you
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/

This one specifically deals with certification.
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/certification/index.html

To me the cost were prohibitive since I don't have a huge call for fert programs, however when I do have a client that wants it I sub it out to another applicator. I figure when I have some more cash I will get the certifications then push them.

hope that helps,
Ron

(Note these prices were from a couple of years ago so they may be off)

bommaritro
04-25-2003, 11:31 AM
Hell Bob I have had clean ups out the ying! I have been relegated to using my 21" Husqvarna to get me by while my mowers are in the shop. My John Deere needed a part and the dealer ordered the wrong one. and my Scag also needed a special order part for the operator presence switch. Most of the problem is my fault, I waited to long before I brought them in for their spring tune up. Things were so busy around here plowing and moving snow that I put them on the back burner and now I am paying for it. I really hope this weather gets back on track because I am looking to make a good chunk of change his year if don't have nay major problems.

Ron

BobR
04-25-2003, 04:51 PM
Ron
I had my nose back on the grindstone today, what a beauty, got one of my large lawns completed the only hitch was a patch of what I call snot weed (star of bethelem) what a mess that stuff is.
Lawn next to this one (mine also) has the other half of the patch so my trusty Toro will get all slimey again next week.
Sunday the wife and I are taking a tour (bus) on the Fingerlakes wine trail, That ought to be a hoot (wife likes wine) I will just sit back and watch..
Later
Bob Rowe

Bob's Lawn
04-26-2003, 12:00 AM
Ron,

Thanks for all the info. The costs are prohibitive. I may do some ferts for special customers, but make it plain, no herbicide or pesticide.

Ice clean-ups have been good, but the lawns are starting to stiffen up so it will be time to walk patterns in the grass soon.

Bob

NYRookie
05-03-2003, 09:37 AM
Done with all but 2 new cleanups. I took a 30 day leave of absence from my other job, hope it is a permanent one. Bob R, I have e-mailed you twice with no reply. Are you getting them? I'm from Fulton County as you already know. I have a ton of work to do this month, so I hope it is a dry month. Lawns, driveway install, lawn installs,fence install, and some other work. I hope I can make this work full time.

BobR
05-04-2003, 08:24 AM
OOPS - no email, I have a filter in place that blocks all but my 'friends list', just couldn't tolerate the 80 or so junk mails each day.. Retry an e-mail with the Subject of 'Hi Bob' and I will set the filter to let it through. Networking is great (unless some dummy blocks the communication).
BobR

BobR
05-12-2003, 05:17 PM
Looks like we are going to have a few days of unscheduled down time - RAIN - RAIN - RAIN and just when the lawns were getting cranked up..
Spent the day reorganizing the trailer and some general clean up.
BobR

NYRookie
05-12-2003, 09:26 PM
I spent half the day hauling rubble for a driveway install. At least I have a couple of things I can do in the rain. Thanks to 2 buddies, I got caught up Saturday on my mowing. This rain really does suck. Got 2 cleanups to do tommorrow and I'm done with them. Also found a little leak on my tractor today, guess I can tighten that up inbetween the rain showers. Sure do hope I kick this bug soon, my wife does too because she is pregnant and she can't take any antibiotics.

NYRookie
05-28-2003, 11:25 AM
Anybody mowing in the rain? I just changed all the belts on my mower and was in the middle of changing the blades when a monsoon came through. Boy do I need to build that garage soon. How is everyone keeping up with thier lawns? I will be behind by the weekend if this rain does not stop. Supposed to do 2 topsoil jobs this week. Guess that aint happening.

Bob's Lawn
05-28-2003, 04:33 PM
I should be out mowing right now. We have sun right now. There were showers this morning. I think I will wait until tomorrow to give the properties a chance to dry before I drive on them.

I did put out some fliers today.

Bob

BobR
05-28-2003, 08:02 PM
Spent the day dodging rain showers in Amsterdam (did'nt work got real wet) managed to get 4 small accounts done but I am not proud of the way they look, they certainly needed doing, had the mowers set a 3" and still left a lot of lumps.. Weather forecast is a real winner too, 80% chance of showers tomorrow and 50% on Friday - Yipes
It can only get better..
BobR

Ax Man
06-05-2003, 08:45 PM
Howdy from Swain!
I'm launching my new business, ark and ferry service.
seems like it would float don't you think?
When are we going to get a day of sun?

BobR
06-05-2003, 09:24 PM
Hello Mr Ax Man, was just reading in the paper that this was the wettest & coldest May... Boy I can believe it, seems like every time I got caught up mother nature put in her two cents worth and I was in the hole again.. Amen on the Ark and Ferry business and maybe pontoons on the Z as well.
BobR

NYRookie
06-07-2003, 03:21 PM
I think I am going to look for a few water buffalo or hippos to help with the mowing. This rain is getting old! Got caught in it twice this week alone. Maybe someone will make a hovering ztr soon. Boy would they be rich.

BobR
06-08-2003, 06:41 AM
Hey Guys no rain today and I am going to make the best of it, I have a couple of accounts that do not mind weekend lawn service plus I have my own hay field to take care of..
Enjoy The Day
BobR

BobR
07-09-2003, 01:08 PM
July 8 2003 -- It has been a while since we have had a decent rain so I am not complaining about the extra time off. My lawns have gone into Summer Mode and I have started spending time using the hedge equipment. Sold my Toro Z to another LCO, he will be using it as a backup machine, my other Toro (20 hp Hydro WB) has had a couple of bites but nothing serious, will be replacing both machines with a single Z probably an Exmark but I have not made my mind up as to which model (yet).
BobR

GLAN
07-27-2003, 07:27 PM
Hey fellas

Guess I am your long lost cousin in the south ;)

BobR
07-27-2003, 07:57 PM
Us 'up staters' are a friendly bunch so WELCOME, We havent discussed much except for the rotten weather we have experienced but hopefully that will change. Made up my mind on the new Z, I decided on an Exmark Lazer HP - 23 Kawasaki, 52 cut. Ultra Vac, new style suspension seat and the wide tire option. I thought my Toro was the 'cats nuts' but this Exmark would run circles around it. Got a whomping 10 hours on it and so far I am completely satisfied.
Later
BobR

GLAN
07-28-2003, 02:02 PM
The weather hasn't bothered us much. Worked through the rains in June.

In fact this is a cooler summer than the last 3

So............we liking it...............:)

NYRookie
07-28-2003, 09:49 PM
Hi fellas.
Glad to see you bought an Exmark Bob. You will love it. Let me know how you like the suspension seat, I am thinking of getting one. Why did you go with the 52" instead of the 60"? I love mine and have only had a few problems in the 3 years I have had mine. You will love the Ultra Vac for leaf pickup. Did you get it at H&M, or Emerichs? Love to stay and chat, but this spring grass in July is wearing me out and my bed and I have a date.

cnypropertysvcs
08-03-2003, 08:05 PM
:dizzy:
Hey guys, just thought I would drop a line to say hi and introduce myself. I just went full time in the business this spring( formerly a Verizon employee) did it for several years down near Saratoga- worked in the mountains above Coxsackie NY. Now I'm living UPSTATE in Oswego county- you want to talk snow!!!!! This winter/ spring seemed liek it would never end!! I fell behind when we had our late ice storm, and I have been playing catch up ever since. Just when I get almost caught up it starts to rain and sets me back again. I shouldn't complain too much though since I have not done ANY advertising and I cannot keep up with the referalls or work. We are a small minority owned company( it's in my wifes name) but got so busy we had to bring in my brother and his girlfriend to keep up with the work. Now I have to adjust my labor rates and compensate for the extra laborers. Any help on what you guys charge on a per hr/acre basis would be greatly appreciated. I have been surfing the site when ever I can and have found it extremely helpful.

Here's a brief description of what we offer-
Lawn maintenence
Brick pavers
Retaining walls
Tree care and removal
Hardscaping
SNow removal- tough area to work in though! (LOL!)

We want to offer ponds and other services as well- but need to slow my construction company down and concentrate more on the green side of things.

Sorry to babble- long week(s) catching up with me.

Oh BTW I'm also an EMT with the local Vol Fire Deparment and drive for our local AMbulance Corps as well, and I'm a member of the counties all volunteer Hazardous Materials Response Team- all things I do in my "spare" time!!

Hope to hear back from every one soon!!

Bill from
CNY Property Services
West Monroe NY
Oswego County- Snow Capital!! LOL

BobR
08-03-2003, 09:45 PM
Hello Shawn, I went with the HP because of the properties I maintain (lots of landscaping), yes I purchased it at Emrich Equipment (great service when it is needed), I added the suspenson package to an already comfortable seat and would recommend it to any one, If you would like to try it just give me a call (upgrade took about an hour).
BobR

jrc lawncare
08-13-2003, 07:24 PM
Hello guys, from upstate NY. I appear to be fairly close to Bob R in saratoga. We are located in Washington County, in the town of Granville, NY.We're not a big business, we run around 25 accounts plus my full time job.Currently using exmark walkbehinds, Husqvarna trimmers, stihl and echo blowers, and chevy trucks. Good to see this many guys on here from upstate NY.:waving:

BobR
08-14-2003, 07:45 AM
Welcome JRC LAWNCARE - I have a feeling that a lot of folks that visit this site are from our area or at least from New York, Thanks for identifying yourself and enjoy 'LawnSite' lots of good information here.
I myself only have 20 accounts (two of which are commercial) and that keeps me out of trouble and allows me to get a lot of lawn toys (wife says 'too much stuff') but we all know that you never have enough tools.
BobR

jrc lawncare
08-14-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by BobR
Welcome JRC LAWNCARE - I have a feeling that a lot of folks that visit this site are from our area or at least from New York, Thanks for identifying yourself and enjoy 'LawnSite' lots of good information here.
I myself only have 20 accounts (two of which are commercial) and that keeps me out of trouble and allows me to get a lot of lawn toys (wife says 'too much stuff') but we all know that you never have enough tools.
BobR LOL, love those new lawn toys. We are using the exmark turf tracers as our primary mowers now. Would'nt mind a z, but most of our props , a z would'nt work out ( hills). Just recently got the pb650 echo blower, using the br-400 as a back-up and when I have additional help in the fall doing leaves. We'll put the truck loader right to work when fall gets here. What a labor saver that is. Compaction rate is awesome, I dump the one ton when it's full once a day.Busy year so far, later. John A...

BobR
08-15-2003, 07:47 AM
Hi John
Have been putting together a leaf system that will be tried for the first time this year (have been using PB 650 and mowers with powered collection units) for the truck I have a collection box that attaches to the 'Truck Craft' dump insert, a Billy Goat 16 hp self propelled leaf blower, Echo PB650 and a Billy Goat 23 hp leaf loader plus an Ultra Vac for the Z. Will be interesting to see if it works or if I just spent a bunch of bucks needlessly.
Lawns are waiting.
BobR

NYRookie
08-15-2003, 10:48 PM
Welcome JRC. I am from Fulton County. I too run about 20 accounts and work a full time job. 8 of them are commercial accounts. I also do tractor work, concrete and landscaping. I hope to go full time next year. Been very busy for me also, got rid of 7 accounts this year because they were undesirables and I could not keep up with them all. Well got to go, talk to you later.
Shawn

Bob's Lawn
08-31-2003, 10:08 AM
Bill,

Welcome to LS. I am a fellow Oswego countian (does that look right?). I live a little North of the Square. Most of my business is in Onondaga Co.

As far as price. Figure out what your costs are and charge accordingly. I do not worry about what others charge. I charge what I feel I need to make money on a property if I get it fine, if not fine. I know I am high compared to others, but I try to give more service.

You have a good spread of services and it sounds like you are busy, keep up the good work.

Good luck,
Bob

Old Red
09-02-2003, 04:58 AM
Hello, from the SW corner of Onondaga Cnty. I've been enjoying this site for several weeks, figured I oughtta finally sign up and say something. The lawn business will be new for me. Plan to slowly break into it as part time work.

BobR
09-02-2003, 07:53 AM
Welcome "Old Red", as you have seen and will see there is lots of good information to be had on this site also a healthy pile of BS and bickering but you can weed that out real quick. Starting off 'part time' is very popular as it allows you to get your feet wet without breaking the bank.
BobR

jrc lawncare
09-02-2003, 08:31 AM
Welcome Old Red, lot of good info available here. I am also part time, this site is extremely helpful. Good to have you aboard.:D

Bob's Lawn
09-02-2003, 02:05 PM
Old Red,

SW Onondaga County? Baldwinsville?

Radison has a lot of competition. If that is your neighborhood, just do a professional job and you can charge more than most of the guys there. I had a guy call me for an estimate there, who was paying 17.50 per cut and there were divots and skid marks all over his lawn. My minimum is twice what he was paying and I gave him a price more than that. He didn't bite. I was glad, because Radison is a long ways for me to go.

Good luck,
Bob

Old Red
09-02-2003, 03:01 PM
Bob, I think Baldwinsville is in NW Onondaga or maybe even in Oswego Cnty. North of the Thruway much I'm get lost. I'm nearer to Cortland Cnty; it's about a mile down the road. And I can look across the lake and see Cayuga Cnty.

Anyways I'm not looking for work right now. I'll wait 'til next year but I've been reading this board regular, trying to learn a little, and wanted to say hello.

Thanks to all for the welcome, Red

Bob's Lawn
09-02-2003, 08:38 PM
Old Red,

Just a small brain freeze there.

I imagine there is quite the business down there. Skaneatles and surrounding areas should have a lot of demand for your services.

Bob