PDA

View Full Version : Which Lawn/ Landscape Organization do you belong?

adrianvbarrera
04-01-2003, 03:35 PM
I am thinking of joining but I was wondering which organizations most of you are members of.

Any one better than the other?
Right now I am leaning toward Professional Lawn Care Association.

Adrian

Shuter
04-01-2003, 07:42 PM
In my area I belong to the Cape Cod Landscape Assoc. It is a good way to meet others and compare work, prices, problems, etc.. I am going to join my local Chamber of Commerce. The chamber cost $200.00 per year and you get listed in a book that goes out to 65,000 people and 3 fliers per year are distributed to chamber members advertising your business.

PaulJ
04-02-2003, 01:17 AM
This year I joined the Nebraska Turf Foundation (NTF)
(probably wont rejoin this nest year)

And The Nebraska Professional Lawn Care Association (NPLCA)

Not sure what I'll all get out of them yet. Probably as much as I put in.

Oh ya, and I consider Lawnsite a great organization to belong to.

LawnLad
04-02-2003, 09:18 AM
I think it depends on what your focus is as to what organization would be best. PLCAA is more turf care related where as ALCA is design, build, maintenance, interior. PGMS is yet a bit different.

State and local associations are good as well, certainly more convenient. Some I'm sure are better than others. But realize with local orgs that you get only a draw from your region/state. Hopefully you're gettting the best of the best locally to attend, however this often is not the case. Many of your larger more succesful companies participate nationally more than locally even though they may pay dues to the local group.

Therefore I think networking oppportunities are greater at the national level since you get a broader scope of folks. As well, my experience is that on a local level when contractors get together its tough to believe everything they're bragging about or will tell you. There is also less of a tendency to share real informaton on a local level since you're talking with your competitors. On a national level you can talk more openly to someone from five states away because you know they are not competing in your back yard.

We're members of:

OLA - Ohio Landscapers Assoc
ONLA - Ohio Nursery Landscape Assoc
OTF - Ohio Turfgrass Foundation
ALCA - Assoc Landscape Contractors of America
SIMA - Snow and Ice Management Assoc.

adrianvbarrera
04-02-2003, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the input.

I really had not thought about the local vs national level.

I think that I have to assess the whole thing again with that concept in mind.

Thanks for help.

Adrian