PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Repair question

Nozzleman
04-01-2003, 05:47 PM
I need an idea of what to charge for repairing a lawn that was burned by the owner applying to much fert. last year. The area is 3000sf and he does not want to install a brand new lawn. I was thinking of power raking the heck out of it, core aerating, slice seeding, and if needed overseed with a rotary spreader.

I will be renting all the machines. Does the above method sound good?

paponte
04-01-2003, 06:00 PM
I would just power rake it then overseed it with a machine, and fert.. As you said "slice seed". :cool:

Oh yeah, and tell the customer you'll handle the fertilizing.

Nozzleman
04-01-2003, 06:27 PM
Paponte, do you have a ballpark figure $$$$ wise excluding machine rentals and materials. Basically, what to charge for labor.

Turfdude
04-01-2003, 09:11 PM
Thatch the lawn bi-directionally. Remove debris, core aerate 2X's. Apply seed, dolomitic limestone, and starting fertilizer at recommended rates. Cover lawn w/ peat moss where ripped up real bad. Price at $350-$400 depending on amount of debris to remove and difficulty of terrain. You may wish to add more if you have to rent an aerator and thatcher.

Nozzleman
04-01-2003, 09:19 PM
Thanks Turfdude, I quoted the job at $500 which included my rental fee's. I just wanted to poll the guy's here and get an idea if I was accurate or not. Thanks again guy's.

If anyone else has any idea's/prices I would be grateful.

LawnLad
04-01-2003, 10:34 PM
I would charge each operation individually. Aerating is xx/sq ft as is verticutting. Slit seeding is xx/sq ft.

3000 works out for me at:

Aerating: $48.00 (minimum charge) - through in the second passs since there is so much work

Thatching: $70.00 plus labor to clean up thatch

Slit seed: $360.00 ($.12/sq ft w/ minimum of $250)

Total is $478 plus labor to clean up thatch, probably two hours of time at $35/hr. So I'd be at $550.00. Right in the same ball park.

Compare to new lawn with complete tear out and replacing (topdress with new soil) would be $2200 to $2600 ish depending on site conditions. At 20% of new lawn cost it's a little easier of a sell.

mdvaden
04-04-2003, 08:32 AM
And whatever you do, don't fertilize with Casoron !

I'll never forget that one from a few years back. A lady fertilized her lawn and did not notice she grabbed the Casoron bag - not until later.

What was unique - she was a good neighbor and "fertilized" the lawn next door too.

Anyhow, she fixed it with removing the sod quickly, and the help of some Activated Charcoal added to the soil in the rototilling and re-sodding process.

worthbrown
04-04-2003, 01:21 PM
What piece of equipment are you talking about when you say "power raking". I use a harley rake, which is what I consider a power rake. I am assuming you don't use a harley rake on an existing lawn you don't want to tear up.

paponte
04-04-2003, 01:41 PM
Good price Nozzleman. Sorry for the late post... kinda busy. But I was going to say at least .15 a sqft. So you bid fine. :cool:

Nozzleman
04-04-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by worthbrown
What piece of equipment are you talking about when you say "power raking". I use a harley rake, which is what I consider a power rake. I am assuming you don't use a harley rake on an existing lawn you don't want to tear up.

A dethatcher is what I am referring to. I thought some guy's on this site called them power rakes but I could be inadvertently using the wrong terminology.