PDA

View Full Version : KUDZU spraying

Indiana
09-06-2000, 12:08 AM
Hey guys.

Looking for a good pesticide sprayer. About a 50 gallon to spray a heck of alot of kudzu. Also, a couple friends of mine say to use Round-up Pro. Although it will probably come back.

Is there a better chemical. This is a resort area that is covered up with established kudzu. (Western NC)

A have been working there for about four years and they have been sparying it with 1 1/2 gallon spot sprayers. (hopeless) I have been telling them to let someone licensed spray it... like me. Well, they gave in. I have a 15 gallon DC sprayer but I think I need a bigger one. Also, my chemical dealer said to use Valpar. Never heard of it or used it and he doesn't know anything about it either.

Just looking for a little help in this.

bob
09-06-2000, 12:17 AM
What is kudzu? Please discribe. Thanks

Indiana
09-06-2000, 12:28 AM
Kudzu is a Japanese ground cover that was brought to the U.S. by some gardeners for some unknown reason. Anyway it is a creeping vine and completely covers everything. Its vine is about a 1/4" thick and has leaves 3-4" wide has a bloom which is purple. Sounds pretty...

It is not pretty. When it grows, usually on banks and forested areas. It can kill a tree in about 3 to 4 years. Big trees, oaks, maples etc... Impossible to stop. In the summer, it can grow as much as a foot.

No joke. There were some studies on as a pasture crop. Don't know why. It's a curse. You cannot weed-eat it, mow it, or pull it out. I don't know how deep the roots grow. DEEP!!!

In the South, we have it everywhere. Many areas like Atlanta and such have developed plans to eradicate it. Nobody uses the same technique, it seems.

One thing for sure kudzu is a real curse to the south. Maybe a money maker for me, if I can control it. I don't know.

GroundKprs
09-06-2000, 03:38 AM
Dr. James H. Miller has researched various methods for combating kudzu for over eighteen years. He is happy to discuss kudzu control problems with anyone, and can make helpful recommendations for specific situations. He has also co-authored many publications on kudzu control.

U. S. Forest Service
Devall Drive
Auburn University, AL 36849
334/826-8700

from http://www.alabamatv.org/kudzu/default.htm#links

Also check http://www.bugwood.caes.uga.edu/crp/controlling_kudzu_in_crp_stand.html

KirbysLawn
09-12-2000, 02:00 PM
Jim, good links for Kudzu. Bob asked what it is, a good photo from one of your links, I think that was a cabin: :eek:

http://www.jjanthony.com/kudzu/images/cabin.jpg

BRL
09-12-2000, 04:28 PM
Hey! That's my vacation home! I'd better start taking more vacations so I can keep up with the vegetation. I told my wife she'd better let me go fishing back in July. Now I'll have to get a flamethrower from Guido & send it up to the cabin with my wife and let her take care of it. ;) If she would have just let me go I could have stayed ahead of it.

KirbysLawn
09-12-2000, 05:49 PM
Where is Guido?? We didn't go to war did we??

dhicks
09-12-2000, 06:25 PM
Indiana: I would think that if Roundup has been used several times in the past to kill it, by now the kudzu may be fully or partially resistant to Roundup.

I would give Purdue Agricultural Services a call and explain your situation.

Eric ELM
09-13-2000, 02:11 AM
Indiana, back to your original question, you can get a 55 gallon sprayer from http://www.northerntool.com with a gas engine on it that is towable or they have one that will mount on any vehicle with a 12 volt system. Northern has stores out on the east coast and Tennessee too. They are based out of Mn.

bob
09-14-2000, 12:09 AM
Ray, Is that your enclosed trailer under there?

Eric ELM
09-14-2000, 11:03 AM
In case you didn't see this thread, check it out. You probably did see it, but just in case. http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=4314

thfireman
08-21-2002, 11:13 AM
Here is the formula I just started using. I had several sources swear by it. Yime will tell but so far I have had good results.

Round Up Pro - Use max. mixture
Momentum - Max. Mixture rate
Spreader Sticker - 1.5 oz per gal.

Use this mixture and wait till wilting or browning and then re-apply. This is supposed to keep it down a lot longer than round up alone.

You must use the spreader sticker to break down the wax coating so the pesticides can act. The second app allows for max contact on leaves that were protected by top leaves earlier.

NOTE: Possible damage to plants covered by the Kudzu may result... But hey, if you dont do something with the Kudzu the plants under there are gone anyway.

Also Kudzu can actually grow up to an inch a day! It can and will out run your treatments if you dont stay on top of it.:) :(

thfireman
08-21-2002, 11:17 AM
If all elese fails you can harvest this stuff and dry it out. Grind it up into a flower powder and make bread out of it. I have heard of people wrapping meat in them and cooking it like you do when you use grape leaves. I think that grape leaf meat and rice is a Greek dish. Same idea with Kudzu.

I will just try to kill it.

Atlantic Lawn
08-21-2002, 07:26 PM
We used a gas powered presure washer to spray a large area. You'll need two 55 gallon drums filled with herbicide and have at it. Experiment with the rig first to get things right.

thfireman
08-21-2002, 09:14 PM
I would be worried about DRIFT. If it were a large area away from another property then that should work. Pressure washers just seem like a dangerous way to apply pesticides because of drift.:( :confused:

CSRA Landscaping
08-23-2002, 01:27 AM
Actually, the roots go down about 18 feet and it grows about a foot and a half per day. 18 inches.

thfireman
08-23-2002, 12:22 PM
Jeff,

You are right. I looked up info on Kudzu just to make sure of my statement before I posted it. I mistook the (') marking in the book for the (") marking. It says up to 1' daily. I thought that one inch seemed slower than what it grows here. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

If it grows 18" a day I might put my video camera on time laps and video it growing. That could be a cool demonstration.

Thanks for correcting me.

Roger:blush:

CSRA Landscaping
08-23-2002, 05:32 PM
No worries, Roger. I understand the farm experiment had the cows' stomachs exploding. Kudzu, if I remember right, is a member of the bean family.

Rob Spread & Spray
08-24-2002, 09:30 AM
:blob3:

This darn stuff although it does not appear to be as bad as the kudzu, I cant get rid of it.

thfireman
08-24-2002, 12:04 PM
Use a back hoe!!:D

All I know is it supposed to be a species of grass. Maybe cut it all down and treat ground with sterilzer. I have no idea! I do know it spreads pretty quick. Stop it soon or you dont stand a chance.:eek:

Rob Spread & Spray
08-24-2002, 12:29 PM
What would you use as a sterilant, methyl bromide.

Tordonista
09-13-2002, 05:50 PM
Been hearing and reading about it for years. Luckily, never had to deal with it.

thfireman
09-13-2002, 06:16 PM
Rob Spread & Spray....

Been reading up some and I don't think a sterilant will work because of the depth of the root system. I think a systemic would work best.

There still has not been any regrowth from the formula of sticker, momentum and roundup PRO. Been 2 months now. Still dead!
:)

crawdad
09-13-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Indiana
Kudzu is a Japanese ground cover that was brought to the U.S. by some gardeners for some unknown reason.........
No joke. There were some studies on as a pasture crop. Don't know why. It's a curse. You cannot weed-eat it, mow it, or pull it out. I don't know how deep the roots grow. DEEP!!!

In the South, we have it everywhere.......One thing for sure kudzu is a real curse to the south. Maybe a money maker for me, if I can control it. I don't know.

I think it was the good ol' Federal Gov't that encouraged the planting of kudzu across the South.
Kudzu was initially imported from Japan in 1876 for a Philadelphia gardening exposition, but received a less-than-enthusiastic response. It didnít become the hypertrophic denizen of the Southern countryside until the mid-1930s, when the Soil Conservation Service began paying farmers $8 an acre to plant it in erosion-prone areas.
Here's more...
http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/opinion_columnists/article/0,1406,KNS_364_927562,00.html

Crawdad

CSRA Landscaping
09-13-2002, 09:04 PM
I understand that the Army Corps of Engineers planted it along railroad tracks for a while too, to prevent soil erosion there.

thfireman
09-13-2002, 09:54 PM
There is a Bayliner boat parked at this business next to one I cut. Two weeks ago they parked it and Yesterday I was cutting and it is half covered with Kudzu. I will try to take my camera next time and post the pic.....Priceless:)

crawdad
09-14-2002, 10:34 PM
Of course, some ingenious country folk have figured out how to eat it, or at least a part of it. From todays newspaper.....
Crawdad

http://www.timesnews.net/index.cgi?CONTEXT=cat&BISKIT=2762058255&id=64366&category=45

thfireman
09-14-2002, 10:47 PM
As a born and raised Southern Boy I will have to pass on that recipe. Sounds like too much work and if I wanted jelly that tast like grapes I would go buy grape jelly!:cool:

crawdad
09-14-2002, 11:12 PM
roger on that, Roger.
Crawdad
"would ya please pass the jelly?"