PDA

View Full Version : Flyer VS. Door Hanger

CEW900
04-02-2003, 12:49 AM
Hey guys,

Quick advertising question for you. What do you believe gets the best results? A fancy color door hanger or a peice of green paper with your info on it rolled up and put between the door knob.

Of course the door knobs cost most than the regular paper flyers, im just curious if your ratio of call backs increases with a door hanger over the regular peices of peper rolled up on the door knob.

Thanks

Groundcover Solutions
04-02-2003, 01:10 PM
I would think that a door hanger would bring in more calls. with a flyer rolled up people would just through them in the trash with out even looking at them. But with a door hanger they are almost forced to look at what is being advertised. Also it depends on the time and effert put into the design of the hanger of flyer. the more proffesional the design and eye catching the more people will want to give you a call. Just my 2 cents.

jocko1104
04-02-2003, 02:58 PM
Doorhanger hands down.

Where in Texas?

C & T
04-10-2003, 11:41 PM
Go to Office Max, the door hangers are fairly cheap. What I also did was pick up a pack of business card sticker/magnets, attached my business card to the margnet and afixed it to the door hanger by cutting small slits in the four corners where I am putting my card/magnet.

Gr grass n Hi tides
04-12-2003, 10:31 PM
I went out this evening with my daughter and a couple of her friends (8 to 12 yo girls) to put out door hangers. I paid each of them .25 per hanger & they did about about 200.

It was a beautiful evening & a lot of folks were out in their yards or walking around the neighborhood. Putting a face with your advertising is the only way to go. I had several good conversations with folks today. One lady told me she was looking for somebody & would definitely call. We'll see. No matter what happens, I know our "touch" is better than an impersonal flier.

ronslawncare
04-13-2003, 12:28 AM
i never tried door hangers you guys are convince me though,i do get great results with flyers but i think i will give the hangers a go ......

mdvaden
04-13-2003, 03:15 AM
We have always used flyers rolled.

Whether its a hanger, or an 8.5 x 11, the people know its advertising. They aren't stupid. They are trained experts that have received dozens of both kinds if not hundreds.

I have seen many door hangers by other tree and landscape companies. Those only steered me away from doing them. The reason - each one proves that there is hardly any room on them for any information of substance.

People get scores of these things. Something must be there to get them to call. And that takes room.

We find the full page a squeeze sometimes.

Also, we get results on plain white paper that are as good, if not better than with color. Probably because white paper is easier to read from.

The flyers inserted into newspapers by thousands also bring more business for the money than the display ads in the newsprint do. Probably because they can be easily snatched out.

Door hangers are a pitiful size for filing. The get hidden in a file. Full pages can't drop to the bottom even when laid on the side.

A full page enables us to list our name, address, license, a photo, and even list all our credentials and every service we offer. Plus discounts and free offers like our advice on the web.

Flyers are only 2.5 cents apiece when printed in quantities of about 3000 or more.

We used to hand them to people in person, but the conversations slowed us down so much, we lost ground. We say Hi! only in passing. Otherwise we just leave them and go.

Our experience is quite a leap above most companies in the area, so maybe that gives us an edge on this form of advertising without meeting people. They see the credentials and years of experience on the flyer - giving the benefit of the doubt in our favor, they call knowing that our printed advertising displays a significant difference from the doorhanger crowd in Beaverton, Oregon.

Gr grass n Hi tides
04-13-2003, 09:15 AM
I don't understand the "the people know its advertising. They aren't stupid" mindset mdvaden mentions. Of course it's advertising. That is exactly why I prefer the personal touch. I'm not jumping on mdvaden, I'm just saying..............

I have never, and I mean never, been in a situation in my life where spending time on somebody was a bad thing.

I realize I'm new (as a full-timer) in this business but believe me when I say I did my homework before I launched. I have been in very people intensive lines of work for twenty years. Frankly, I don't see myself at any point in life being in a situation of "letting conversation slow me down so much that I lose ground."

CEW900 -

For what it's worth, here's what has gone into my "advertising" and "image" end of things:

(1) Door hangers printed;
(2) Business cards printed;
(3) Purchased a yellow page ad;
(4) Had my truck lettered;
(5) Had embroidered company hats and polo shirts made;
(6) Direct mail letters to perspective clients (new home owners);
(7) Well maintained and clean equipment, vehicle, and trailer.

I'm also calling everyone I know and telling them what I'm doing. As often as is practical, I am following up with a personal visit and a hand shake. Just try it this way if you have not already. The feedback you get will speak for itself.

My thoughts for future plans include a web site (a must in my eyes), newspaper ad run, and listing with the local Chamber of Commerce. The newspaper run and Chamber listing are fairly inexpensive. We will see.

I did not want to wait three years to figure out what works in my area. My thinking is that I get a good cross section and then eliminate what does not work.

I did a "mock" run of door hangers vs. fliers; although it may not have been a scientific project it was enough to help me make a fairly easy decision for advertising in my area.

I drafted up a door hanger and a flier (with pictures of a couple of properties I did have) and showed both to folks including friends, folks in my office complex (that I knew and did not know), and several people at the print shop which ultimately did prepare my fliers. I was ready to spend the money either way, which is exactly what I told people (including the print shop) but overwhelmingly I was told the flier was much more appealing because "it was very nice......professional........simple but got the message across" and "too much information on there and I wouldn't even look at it.....it would end up in the trash can."

My flier is a one color - teal on white, which lists name, address, phone number, services, tells people I am licensed and insured, and a few other things. It does NOT offer a discount.

Do some searches on lawnsite checking into door hangers, fliers and advertising. You will find dozens and dozens of threads on the subject. After you boil it all down, most everyone here will tell you their return rate on door hangers and fliers is is about 1% - 2%. Sometimes it is more. Sometimes it is less. We put out 200 door hangers in 2.5 hrs. last night. If I land between two and four accounts from the effort I will be very pleased. If I don't land any, that's fine too I'll keep plugging away.

Bottom line - if you are putting out fliers and/or or door hangers you ARE a part of the "doorhanger crowd." Welcome to it.

Getting yourself and your name out there is the name of the game. There are a lot of different ways to go about it. You just need to find what works for you in your area.

Hope you have a great 2003 !! You too, mdvaden.

mdvaden
04-13-2003, 01:34 PM
The comment about customers being experts on advertising goes back to another thread, and deals with whether someone may pay more heed to a hanger than a cheap rolled up piece of paper.

From their viewpoint, they have seen both, and know where both are headed - to gain business.

So the expert consumer puts both on the same par.

(Note the original thread post)

Fall / Winter of 2001 was our busiest fall season ever in 10 years.

Last year saw a 25% increase in business.

Our best single paid advertising for new customers is flyers.

We are project oriented and always need more. We have about 500 customers that we work for every 1 to 3 years. Its important to add plenty more, since some move, some die, and some do their own work when they retire.