PDA

View Full Version : 16 HP Vanguard oil blowing in carb.

rob1325
04-02-2003, 08:59 PM
I have a weird problem with my 16 HP Vanguard thats on my leaf blower. It is blowing a lot of oil into carburetor through breather tube and the oil turns black just after few hours of use. I have to add about half quart a day because of this. I email Briggs & Stratton and they told me to replace seals on dipstick. So I replaced the O-ring on dipstick and the seal on crank where dipstick slides in. This still didn't help. I then replaced my breather valve and this also didn't help. I then emailed them back and they tell me to bring it to dealer, but motor is out of warranty. I never ever take my equipment to dealer unless it is under warranty. I usually am able to fix it myself, but this problem has me stumped. Is the piston rings shoot? I would appreciate any help or suggestions you guy may have.

Thanks,

Rob

Fish
04-02-2003, 10:08 PM
You likely have a blown head gasket, run the engine for a
minute with the valve cover removed to confirm.
Fish

Richard Martin
04-03-2003, 03:12 AM
It does sound like the rings are gone.

Remo Sid
04-03-2003, 05:59 AM
head gasket

rob1325
04-03-2003, 07:40 PM
I will look at head gasket but leaning towards rings. Oil always turns black after couple of hours on machine. If note head gasket then will tear down motor and replace rings and gaskets.

Thanks,

Rob

John DiMartino
04-03-2003, 11:49 PM
Run a compression test. I think its a head gasket.The oil turning black is the exhaust gettign into the oil thru the blown gasket.

rob1325
04-05-2003, 11:33 PM
I will do the compression test. The motor is now acting worse. It runs really bad. I have to keep choke on to make it run. I cleaned out the carb and adjusted it and still needs choke on to run. I will tear it down and look at everything,

Thanks,

Rob

Fish
04-06-2003, 03:35 AM
A compression test will not tell you much, as the amount of
compression going to the crankcase is slight. The area of
the head gasket that usually blows is the area between the
cumbustion chamber and pushrods. If you remove the valve
covers then start the engine, you will likely see which gasket is blown, but you may have a few drops of oil thrown about,
but then you will know for sure what your problem is, as I
seriously doubt that it is the rings.

John DiMartino
04-06-2003, 08:08 AM
Fish,no matter where the gasket is blown a compression test will show which cyl needs to be torn down.You wil be able to see the lower reading on the guage. Once the gasket is off,and if its not blown,and the head/vaves check out ok,then he need to go deeper.

Fish
04-06-2003, 10:53 AM
I won't argue about it, but how much lower? If there is no
head gasket leak, can you say for sure that both cylinders will
show identical readings?
A tiny blow in a head gasket may only show a 5-10 lb. drop
in compression, thus fooling the person testing that he does not
have a gasket problem.
That tiny leak, however, can pressurize the crankcase in a big way.
Just trying to save the original poster from running out and
buying a compression gauge, he has bought enough stuff he
doesn't need.

tmoran56
06-16-2004, 06:07 AM
I have a 16-hp Vanguard engine from Briggs & Stratton, which is under a two year warranty.
During the first year, I had two cases of oil geting into the air filter. One was the breather and the other was an "O" ring on the oil fill.
This year I had the problem again and it turned out to be a pinhole leak in the head gasket. The only oil was in the air filter and not around the engine.
Now the question - With all of this out of the way, should I stay with the engine or replace it and with what?

rockytopp
06-17-2004, 01:45 AM
I have seen the crank case vent cause a lot of weird things also, stuck open or a chunck of carbon under the valve in the breather vent as this just a pvc valve. this can cause a blow back situation and load the carb and or filter.