PDA

View Full Version : Giving Estimates on Mulching, Tips??

mklawnman
04-04-2003, 11:15 AM
Well a few days ago went out to a house to measure all the landscape beds around this guys house to see how much mulch it was going to take. Well after doing all the math I came up with 5.5yrds of mulch, the thing is, is that some of the beds were full of shrubs and that their was little ground coverage area, so as i was going through I did minus out some squarefootage just to kind of compensate for the shrubs in the beds but I just have this feeling that maybe I was still over? Called the guy up and told him how much it was going to be and well from his tone of voice I think he was like "wow that much" But well i sit and think well he has beds all the way around the house so its gonna at least take 5yrds.
ANy tips on doing a "fudge Factor" of sorts when doing estimates for landscape beds with shrubs in it already? Cause if i just add up the squarefootage of the bed itself that would include the shrubs which do take up some of the sq footage of the bed.
Matt

paponte
04-04-2003, 01:45 PM
Screw him. You took off a 1/2 yard already. Sounds like he just doesn't want to spend money. I would have given him the measured price, and just went heavy. Sell him on putting the mulch down thick, and doing the right job by not skimping on material. :cool:

mklawnman
04-04-2003, 01:54 PM
Yeah I know, I'm trying to feel out this estimating stuff cause in 5yrs it will be alot easier to estimate this stuff out I hope. I know money is a big thing to people, but for me to come out there and to put down the mulch plus delivery its gonna cost them. And for me to do it right, I have to put down at least 3" of mulch so the weeds dont grow through. Some people think its as easy as me getting the materials, and thinking they will pay me $10-20 an hour to do the work, well thats not how it works. We have to make money on this stuff big time. :D
Matt

little green guy
04-04-2003, 11:58 PM
[Some people think its as easy as me getting the materials, and thinking they will pay me $10-20 an hour to do the work, well thats not how it works. We have to make money on this stuff big time.

exactly. your in buisness to make money.

with mulch estimating, i don't think i've ever measuraed a bed. To me it's just easier to look at it and tell how much it will need. You'll never be exact measuring beds because the have plants and tree's and they curve and everything else. I'm sure you're close enough so don't worry about it.

mklawnman
04-05-2003, 11:14 AM
Well for me to look at a job and guess at how much mulch I'll need is a bit tough right now. Considering I havent done alot of mulching jobs, or it was that the appartment complex wants mulching done I just went and got the mulch and put it down and billed them later.
I called the homeowner back today after talking with another landscape supplier and told him how I can get a discount compared to this other place that I've been getting my mulch at. I think i could get a discount at the place I'm getting mulch now but this other guy that I just talked with today is cheaper.
Matt