PDA

View Full Version : how many of u hate spring clean-ups

cturner
04-04-2003, 02:51 PM
how many of u hate spring clean-ups just making sure i'm not the only one i like being out in the summer sun cutting not the damp cold raking and blowing

walker-talker
04-04-2003, 02:56 PM
I love them....who wouldn't at $75-$150 a man hour??

cturner
04-04-2003, 03:00 PM
maybe thats what it is i did three this week and it's the first time doing them and i under bid them like crazy well we all had to learn some how

LawnsRUsInc.
04-04-2003, 03:26 PM
Iam with walker on that on i charge more for spring and fall clean-ups like $75-100

Jason

Gravely_Man
04-04-2003, 03:37 PM
I hate doing spring cleanups all the way to the bank! They are great moneymakers.

Gravely_Man

BobR
04-04-2003, 03:44 PM
I look at Spring Cleanups as a reintroduction to the real work a day world, it is welcome after a long winter of relative inactivity.
Not to mention that the bank account can use a break after all of the minus transactions for the past few months.. Now If I could only controll Mother Nature - after a couple of false starts last week we are now back into the grip of Winter, The yard and accounts have white stuff covering them and it was 20° the last time I looked..
BobR

Ground Effects NH
04-04-2003, 03:57 PM
Just got in from plowing 7"
I am looking forward to Spring cleanups.
This winter has been VERY Good to me
BUT ENOUGH ALREADY !!:p

wriken
04-04-2003, 04:19 PM
I hate them also, actually though once I get going on them its not bad. Good $ :)

CamLand
04-04-2003, 04:43 PM
:dizzy: yeah i hate clean ups too, terrible having to count all that money.:blob2:

Shuter
04-04-2003, 04:45 PM
Mine are not as bad as Fall clean-ups. They are great money makers and are a good way to have contact with the customer to discuss other potential landscaping projects.

tiedeman
04-04-2003, 04:45 PM
My top things I hate the most:

1. Spring Clean up
2. Fall Clean up
3. Tree Pruning

little green guy
04-05-2003, 12:18 AM
I don't care how much money I make off them i still HATE spring cleanups. I'd much rather be doing landscape instals.

mike9497
04-05-2003, 12:25 AM
i don't mind spring clean ups,but i hate fall clean ups because the truck fills up so quick i always have two trucks at each site so when one fills up we just un hook it from the trailer and hook up the other truck.then you have to go back and forth to the dump.then the dumps only open on fridays and saturdays which stinks

wriken
04-05-2003, 12:30 AM
I forgot to mention in my above post, My spring clean-ups are as great as my fall clean-ups. By that I mean if there is 8"s of leaves in the fall, theres 8"s of leaves in the spring, lots of oaks that hold their leaves all winter. I could do , no kidding, but up to 10 times of clean-ups that I do currently, but I have to take care of my clients that I have stayed with.

Frosty_03
04-05-2003, 01:09 AM
ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK!!!!!!~!:blob2: I must agree with you Gravely-man!

I had to laugh yesterday I had a friend that wanted me to come by and areate his yard so I said sure. I went to my shed and got the old pull behind and my old John Deere out and went to his house it could not been more than a 1/4 maybe a little less anyhow he pay me forty dollars, no get his he live in a hood that are the Jone's. You all know this type of hood, if one somebody has something done everyone wants the same thing. Well to make a long story short I did five areations in a little less than 2 hours and laugh all the way to the bank with 425 dollars and I will be going back to do a few more this weekend. The reason I was laughing is because where else in any industry is someone going to pay you to put hole in something they own, and the best part is that I like what I am doing. Enjoy fellas Enjoy.
GOD SPEED!!!!:cool: :cool:

TotalCareSolutions
04-05-2003, 01:25 AM
Did you really Core Aerate 5 yards for only $425?

e-RoK
04-05-2003, 02:56 AM
I like doing clean ups, either Spring or Fall.
Now, it's not the money, I'm an hourly guy. But I like all the different aspects of scaping. It kinda breaks up the mowing monotony. Besides I like to mow yards that are all cleaned up and look "tight". Makes me feel better about the work that I do. But I know guys who work with us who HATE to do anything but run a rider. I can't stand those guys. Won't run a walk behind, or grab a trimmer, and stall so they aren't the one who blows. Anybody work with those guys?

Frosty_03
04-05-2003, 09:19 AM
For only 425 Yep!!!! The yards were not that big as I said I think the bigest was maybe 1/4 acre if that. Here are some of the deminsion front: 25' x 30', back: 42' x16' oh one was front:10' x 50' back 40' x 23' Like I said these yards were small, but I am willing to please these folks cause I am goin to pick up the accounts for this mowing season. I will be charging more to mow the yards. Life is just tooo good. I hope I have not offended you in anyway. I took more time to put my deere on the trailer than to plug those yards. Shoot I had one customer call me back and asked if I could spread some mulch this weekend for her. I got the call this morning, so I must go and get some mulch and tend to this woman. Have an Nice day and GOD SPEED!!!!! The Little thing go a long way.

rodfather
04-05-2003, 09:38 AM
I'm not real crazy about them, but the money comes in handy for start-up operations though.

brucec32
04-07-2003, 02:43 AM
Hate em'

Since I keep up with lawns of existing customers, I don't do many new ones. As few as I usually do, I'd rather just mow an extra lawn a week and not do them at all. I think I just prefer the more orderly process of mowing and, when needed, mulching/vacuming the leaves as I go, a few at a time.

cturner
04-07-2003, 10:14 AM
u hit the nail on the head bruce i like it to be orderly

LawnGuy73
04-07-2003, 10:25 AM
Hate em' ??? You a bunch of money for a little amount of work, if anything don't hate the spring clean ups, hate the fall clean ups. You still make a bunch of money but its so dry out and and its messier....:cool:

Rhett
04-07-2003, 11:51 AM
Hate them!! Wouldn't be so bad, but they all come at the same time and need to be done now. Next year am not taking any clean ups after Feb 15 or so. Not unless they are willing to pay way too much.

FrankenScagMachines
04-07-2003, 12:27 PM
I love them :blob4: :angel:

Pick up larger sticks and limbs and trash. Mow once discharging with OCDC open if debris is thick, then once with OCDC closed. Third pass either discharge with OCDC open or put on bagger and suck up dust. If the debris isn't too thick, mow with OCDC closed first time then again with it open. Go over thicker areas a third time if needed or put on bagger and go over it again. This way you won't have to haul much debris away and don't have to constantly stop to empty the catcher. Oh I use a 6 cu. ft. catcher that dumps on the mower (don't have to lift much weight to empty).

FrankenScagMachines
04-07-2003, 12:30 PM
The methods I listed are just with single high lifts. I expect the results would be much better with gators, doubles, etc. For those of you not in the know, an OCDC is Operator Controlled Discharge Chute shown here. Can open and close with a control at the operator's position for on the go mulch or discharging.

Acorn
04-07-2003, 01:01 PM
Hate is too weak

sbvfd592
04-07-2003, 01:14 PM
Ya well after working in shorts and a t shirt last week its snowing suposed to get abought a foot!

sbvfd592
04-07-2003, 01:19 PM
more

Doogiegh
04-07-2003, 08:57 PM
sbvfd,
Just wondering....

Were you drinking or being tackled at the time you took the picture looking out the window at the snow? :)

Maybe you're an artist and I didn't appreciate the beauty in looking at things 30 degrees off-balance. <G>

Or does that tree really grow at that steep of an angle? :)

wriken
04-07-2003, 10:40 PM
BHB, I know when I run doubles I get alot more blow out, this is when I'm doing cleanups=leaves