PDA

View Full Version : need some advertising suggestions

Greg Huffman
04-04-2003, 10:40 PM
I am new to the industry. Can anyone give me suggestions for when to advertise for commercial and residential accounts. What methods have worked best for you in the past on commercial accounts? I would also appreciate any other suggestions for a new, single operator.

Bouncer
04-16-2003, 02:00 PM
Start with a low Overhead in case you decide this is not for you! I put an ad in the local paper around Jan. to get a jump on things. You usually need a written bid for commercial properties, get your bids out early!! Try using flyers, i have had great success out of them. Distribute them out in neighborhoods, stores, etc... Do not put them on vehicles or mailboxes!!! Get some door hangers, they're pretty reasonable. Always carry business cards, never,ever,ever be caught without them!! Look preofessional when going to bid on a lawn, you only get one chance at a first impression!!! Dont panic if you are'nt overwhelmed with business in the begining, it will take time for your name to get out into the community, word of mouth works wonders!! But, remember to always do a professional job!!! Hope this helps out, good luck!!!

Greg Huffman
04-16-2003, 09:03 PM
Thanks for your advice Bouncer. I am planning to start with a Gravely wb and an Ariens push mower. I am working as a bidder/estimator for an asphalt paving company right now. I was going to try to start advertising and cold calling commercial accounts in November and December. If I can get enough interest, I'll leave my current job and start lawn care next year. Either way, I'm still going to buy the Gravely for my own use. I've got a wife and two small boys, so I need to be sure and plan this out well before I quit my job. Hope things work out good for you this summer!

Bouncer
04-21-2003, 10:40 AM
Good decision Greg, make sure about everything before you quit your other job. I still work my full time job and my hopes are to build the lawncare business sucessfully to be able to leave my other job and go full time. So far my plans going good!! Good luck to you and if you have any questions just ask!!:angel:

jeff_0
04-30-2003, 10:31 PM
post a credit card add in the yellow pages.. you'll get more calls then you can do.. well at least i do and i put my add there last year for the first time

hosejockey2002
05-01-2003, 02:08 AM
I don't do lawn care, I do tractor work and landscaping. I tried an ad in a community direct mail newspaper and got no calls. I made up about 150 fliers and placed them in newspaper boxes in nearby semi-rural areas. Out of these 150 or so fliers I received three phone calls and got work from all three. Target areas where consumers have a need for your service and the means to pay for it. It seems to be working for me.:D