PDA

View Full Version : Chest Spreaders

TJLC
09-06-2000, 09:50 PM
Does anyone out there have any experience with the chest type spreaders. When I fertilize with a broadcast spreader it beats me and the spreader to death because the terrain is hilly and very rough. The chest spreader I'm looking at holds 40#. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

BUSHMASTER
09-06-2000, 09:52 PM
I don't know about you but i think i would much rather carry about 10# that way ... try solo they recently introduced a new model. hope this helps

Evan528
09-06-2000, 10:33 PM
I just bought a spyker chest mounted canvas bag type speader. I only use it for seeding wich it works great for. After i aerate i just go over the lawn real fast with the spreader. dont no how good it would be for fertilizer... probly wouldnt distribute the fertilizer evenly enough.

morturf
09-06-2000, 11:27 PM
I have used these a lot, for seed and fertilizer. they work very well. takes some time and practice. I can fertilize as fast alone on small yards a 2 guys with push spreaders. the fert will broadcast twice as far with the spyker shoulder as with the a push. Takes a little getting used to but they do work. especially on hills. any questions just email me

bob
09-07-2000, 12:02 AM
I would'nt load 40lbs in it the first time. My Lesco push has an 80lbs capacity. The first time I used it I filled it to the top. Never again! 50lbs at a time for me thank you!

Firebrand
09-07-2000, 12:50 AM
I have been using an Earthway plastic tub belly grinder for 2 seasons now. I have spread about 2 tons of product through it so far. I think it works great for residential yards. I only load it up halfway, and thats about all I need. But it's not very comfortable, and definately gets tireing on big jobs. Also on big jobs you have to reload alot. I have a Prize Lawn high capacity push spreader on order. I'm looking forward to using it. I think both spreaders will still get use. I always thought the bag types were clumsy to load.

morturf
09-07-2000, 10:09 AM
As I said before, I have used one of these a lot. Probably put 300 tons of fertilizer in my life on with one. The loading problem can be solved by finding a bucket that is just a little smaller than the bag, cutting the bottom out of the bucket and using it as a funnel. Another thing I have found is that the bag is really not too good. I always put a different bag on. I take off the one that comes on it carefully, take it to a tarp shop and have them make me a sack out of heavy cotton canvas. for the top strap have them use the 1 1/2" webbing this is stiff and helps to keep it from cutting into your shoulder. if you have anymore questions just email me.