PDA

View Full Version : Bradford Pears install. Pricing??

Frank2
04-05-2003, 12:34 AM
First off. Just want to say this is a great site. I have just started my own biz this year and have gained an extensive amount of knowledge from reading hundreds, possibly thousands of posts. Thank you. It has really helped.

Second. I'm trying to work up an estimate for a customer on the following:

1)Install 15 Bradford Pear Trees (8'-10')along both sides of driveway

2)Install 14 Burning bushes in between the pear trees

3)Take lawn out on both sides of driveway to form beds.....
5' wide...total of 200 LF

4)Mulch beds w/ cedar mulch

I was also wondering what type of guarantee should be offered with the new plantings. 1 year? Do you price the guarantee into your estimate?

Thanks,
Frank

Lombardi
04-05-2003, 05:32 PM
In my area I would charge $4225.00. That would include a 1 year guarantee on plants, which is already included in the price.

Frank2
04-05-2003, 09:15 PM
Dave, thanks for your reply. I worked on the estimate this morning. I would have came out to your estimate almost exactly if I was not going to give a 1 year guarantee on the trees/shrubs.

I figured materials at $1400.

$1400 x 3 = $4200 (materials + labor + profit)

But then when it came to including a 1year guarantee...
$1400 x 4 = $5600 (materials + labor + profit + guarantee)

What do you think? After reading some posts on bradford pears, I'm thinking I should talk her out of these (weak tree, splitting, easily damaged) and maybe going for a cleveland pear instead.

capital
04-06-2003, 12:04 AM
I saw your post, and at first glance, have some questions,

What is the area you are going to be putting the Pears into, IE will the Burning Bush be getting sun light or will they be under the trees and into the shade? If so, you might want to use Bailey Compact Viburnum.

On your mulching requirements, noticed you specify Cedar, have you including edging along the beds?

Are you alternating the Bush's under each Pear, if so would recommend you use a grouping of three bush's under each Pear, and include boulders contoured to the landscape. If your clients are wanting winter color use granite boulders and maybe use some red twig dog woods vice the burning bush or bailey compacts and if you have an area of sun light use some Grass's to add another texture for winter appearance. Regarding Pricing

Cleveland Select or Aristocrate 2" 14x$220 $3080
Burning Bush's 5 gal 15x$42.00 $630.00
Labor Prep Beds $350.00
Cedar Mulch $450.00
Preen $55.00
Plant Labor $1500.00
Subtotal $6065

Lombardi
04-06-2003, 02:36 PM
Frank,
I am charging retail for the plants and trees. I then add 65% to that for labor. Besides making money from the labor, I am profiting off the plants because I pay wholesale and charge retail. The guarantee is already included in this pricing. The chances of losing any plants is very minimal.
Yes, you should recommend a different variety of pear tree i.e: Aristocrat, Chanticleer, Cleveland.

lawnstudent
04-06-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Lombardi
Frank,
I am charging retail for the plants and trees. I then add 65% to that for labor. Besides making money from the labor, I am profiting off the plants because I pay wholesale and charge retail. The guarantee is already included in this pricing. The chances of losing any plants is very minimal.
Yes, you should recommend a different variety of pear tree i.e: Aristocrat, Chanticleer, Cleveland.

YES, don't use the Bradford pears! Their branching habit is a mess. Branching is too dense and their crotch angle produces weak wood susceptible to splitting. Lombardi has given you a good list of alternatives in the Aristocrat, Chanticleer, & Cleveland pear trees. Good luck.

jim

KCLandscape
04-06-2003, 11:21 PM
Bradfords, unless you want to be replacing them after the next ice storm:o

Frank2
04-06-2003, 11:52 PM
thanks for the responses and input guys.

Capital,
1)the burning bush will be getting sunlight...not directly under the trees.
2)Yes, i did include the edging of the bed into pricing
3)Really like your idea of grouping the burning bushes, boulders, as well as some grasses in the landscape. I'm going to work up another estimate with couple of other ideas....groupings and other plantings. thanks.

Thanks for the warnings on the bradford and some of the alternatives....will definitely attempt to talk her into this.

I'll let you know how it turns out and if I land the job. Anymore input is welcomed and appreciated.

GarPA
04-07-2003, 08:33 AM
I have personal (on my property) experience with pears...dont use the straight Bradford...the crotch is too weak. As mentioned above, the Aristocrat pear looks just as nice, and does not have the crotch problem...no jokes please....

bobbygedd
04-08-2003, 02:46 AM
LOMBARDI, O MY GOD! HOW DO U SLEEP AT NIGHT?? u r a ripoff, how can u charge that kind of money, shame on you!!!!!!

Lombardi
04-08-2003, 12:45 PM
I sleep very well at night because I charge an honest and fair rate and I do not rip off my customers.

bobbygedd
04-08-2003, 04:39 PM
from what ive heard, charles manson sleep through the night, also

KCLandscape
04-08-2003, 05:37 PM
Lombardi is right on on the pricing for our area, some are even more. There is nothing wrong with making a profit is there?

Lombardi
04-08-2003, 05:46 PM
Bobby is just venting because I had a smart@## reply to his thread about bidding a job. He has been having a rough week due to some of his earlier posts.

bobbygedd
04-09-2003, 01:40 AM
well dave, since u admit being a smart ***, why dont u price the job i posted

Lombardi
04-09-2003, 11:11 AM
becuzz u wll jes mak fun ov me