PDA

View Full Version : Did I charge Too much ? $$ What do you charge per hour

grassworks
09-06-2000, 10:14 PM
I recently did a Pruning / trimming job for a homeowners assoc. It involved cutting lower limbs ( chain saw )and branches off about 20 trees and hauling off to the landfill. It took about 10 hours over two days with a two man crew. We charged them $800. This job was above our normal Turf maintenance duties so was billed seperate. The Assoc. felt like we gouged them and could not believe we should make $70 hour ( for a two man crew )to do tree work in wich no climbing was involved. Was this too much ? Is $35 per manhour high for tree work ? Please give your opinion and rates you bill for similar work. Thanks !

OBRYANMAINT
09-06-2000, 10:19 PM
they may not realize how much there was to haul off
my first thought is that it may be high but then again it takes time to load and unload and fees for dumping this is what they do not understand

bob
09-06-2000, 10:25 PM
Acually you are probably too cheap. I try to get at least $50 per man hour for lawn work. Explain to them while your driving to the landfill, your still working. And the truck won't unload itself. Not to mention dumping fee's involved.

Ocutter
09-06-2000, 10:28 PM
Material that is pulled out of trees is always more than it looks. Your price is right on for labor hrs. I would have charged the same.

grassworks
09-06-2000, 10:34 PM
Thanks and I agree -- I explained the trips to the landfill and time involved ( included in my 10 billed hours ) they just felt My $70 hourly rate ( 2man crew) was too steep. I usually charge more than that for mowing hourly with two men but that involves more equipment. Thanks again for your input.

PS - Heck...when the heat/ac man comes to the house he charges me $45 hour himself without hardly any equipment and I don't complain.

landscaper3
09-06-2000, 11:01 PM
We do work for codiminiums too, we find anything out of the contract is too much$$ you might want to discuss with them the cost to do the work and also dump fees for disposal, most people around here get $50 per load (1ton dump truck) which is real cheap!!

Stinger
09-07-2000, 06:25 PM
We charge $75 per hr labor for two men and $65 per 16'trailer haul off fee on tree work. I think your price is fair and if they were to call a certified climber/arborists it would cost them alot more.

Charles
09-07-2000, 06:33 PM
I get 122$$ per load for a pick up and 14 foot trailor hauled to the landfill. The landfill charges 22$ per load.

MOW ED
09-07-2000, 06:40 PM
Absolutely not. First of all you say "the association" does that include all members or 1 or 2 of the group. If you really have to explain yourself then you should find all of the members. I find that associations are run by 1 or 2 people when 20 or 30 are really involved.
Don't feel bad unless you talk to me and I think ya didn't charge enough. Ya did fine.

BUSHMASTER
09-08-2000, 01:56 AM
don't feel bad about making money and don't let those folks even see that you think you over charged your right yeck all of us are right feel good about your work and feel real good for the times that you make money..if they see you flinck they might start trying to barter you down .hold your chin up mate.

geogunn
09-08-2000, 08:29 PM
if you gave an estimate, showed up on time, did the work professionally as per the estimate, and held your hand out for the check...you charged the correct amount.

don't think twice and watch your associate...he just might be your next lowball competitor.

GEO