PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer Heads - What do you use?

Likestomow
09-06-2000, 10:24 PM
I have an Echo 2601 and really don't like the head very much. It seems to feed the line at the least little bump, which I figure wastes about 25% of every spool. Around here I can't find any good replacement heads, so I'd like to hear what (and where to get them) some of you guys use.

Not all heads will fit on the Echo's. I've looked at the Stihl heads, but they won't fit.

Getmow
09-07-2000, 08:07 PM
When it starts to feed at the first little bump try tightening the white plastic nut on the spring. If that is tight then replace the head.

bob
09-07-2000, 09:19 PM
I use Veri brand heads. In particular, I like the full automatic one. Go to www.hev.com

Likestomow
09-07-2000, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the tip, GetMow... I'll check it tomorrow.

Bob, I looked at your automatic Veri head as you suggested. I just wonder if the line advances everytime the RPM's change. I'm constantly changing speed as I trim.

landscaper3
09-07-2000, 10:19 PM
Bob on those Veri heads what size line can you use we have one trimmer dual lne and another trimmer we put only single line in it for around mulched areas. Trying out a new web site
http://www.nebsnow.com/ideallandscaping

IRISH
09-07-2000, 10:22 PM
I use Sthil i feel these are the best heads and hand held equiptment there is

i think Sthil heads will fit on an echo trimmer talk to a Sthil dealer they will help you out i put Sthil heads on two stand by weed eaters a fraden and an echo i went to my dealer and they had the parts right there hoook me right up they did.
give it a shot
the guy there said they could put Sthil heads on everything.

Acute Cut
09-07-2000, 10:22 PM
I know i am definatly in the minority here, but i say get rid of ALL of them auto heads. I switched a few years ago to the PRO HEAD. This thing is great. It is all metal and you feed line in individually. I have cut my line cost by 34%. It may seem like a hassle at first, but soon it is a pretty quick change. You will find yourself using less and less time as the months go by. Plus they dont wear out as fast if you are doing alot of work over cement or pavement. I know on an old echo i had, i went through about 2 heads a year. Granted, i was a newbie then, but none the less i feel these are supior in many ways. I know i have conviced some other companies around here to buy them and they have called me and thanked me profusely. It also puts less weight at the end of the shaft, thus making the engine work less. The only real difference is learning to NOT set them on the ground and move along. I know i did that alot with the plastic ones and i did fine. This model has a lower profile though and thus will cut too close to the ground. you may want that however, who knows. Good luck, Write me if you cant find it. Ill have my dealer get me info for you if ya need.

Acute Cut

bob
09-07-2000, 10:27 PM
On the fully automatic head I use either .095 or .105

landscaper3
09-07-2000, 10:28 PM
Bob on those Veri heads what size line can you use we have one trimmer dual lne and another trimmer we put only single line in it for around mulched areas. Trying out a new web site
http://www.nebsnow.com/ideallandscaping

bob
09-07-2000, 10:31 PM
Look up one post.

Likestomow
09-07-2000, 10:32 PM
Acute Cut,

Please post where I can buy the Pro Head... I'm having trouble with my E-mail right now. Thanks.

Acute Cut
09-07-2000, 10:52 PM
Will do likestomow. Ill check into it first thing in the morning and have that info for you by late afternoon for ya.

Acute Cut

southside
09-08-2000, 09:38 AM
We use the same heads as Acute Cut mentioned.They are great.
The plastic automatic heads are crap.The amount of time you lose refilling those things is amazing.

Karl

carlsmower
09-08-2000, 09:47 PM
Hey there likestomow,
Acute Cut called me today and asked that i look up the info for you on that head. What you need is made by either shindaiwa, tanaka, or echo the part # for the echo is28156-1*t. All of these companys make a head referred to as a pro-head. Check it out at your local dealer or post back and I could send you one.
Later Josh

Rufur
09-08-2000, 10:47 PM
I had a similar problem w an echo head earlier this year I would tap it and the whole spool would unwing and fall off..what was happening was the white plastic knob would become loose and unwind..I asked the dealer and he said to cement the white thing with a glue(cant recall name of it...found in auto stores) although it has to be the kind of glue that is removable! I never followed up on this however I just tightened the white knob real tight and it seems to be fine now

BUSHMASTER
09-09-2000, 12:44 AM
i use a sthil fixed head with .130 line great combo .i think
it saves me $$$$$ on string everyyear

MJB
09-09-2000, 02:16 AM
I use the 2601 Echo also, mine works great. I use the Edgit attachment on all my trimmers which really makes trimming a breeze. Has anyone else tried the Edgit? http://www.edgit.com

I never worry about string I buy it in large rolls and only go thru $60 a season in string. With the Edgit attachment you can cut a larger swath with great control ( no backlash)
and you can teach someone in minutes how to edge like a professional.

Barkleymut
09-09-2000, 04:33 AM
First off, I am kind of interested in the Edgeit but still not sold on it. Secondly, I have an Echo 2601 and 2 2100's. I believe the heads are the exact same for both. What is the largest diameter string I can use in these? Do I need another head if I want to use .130?

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
09-15-2000, 02:24 AM
any one ever heard of Silver Back head?...thats what i use and they work awesome