PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Drainage Pipe

turfsolutions
04-05-2003, 11:31 AM
I cracked a 4 inch drainage pipe while digging. It runs off a downspout underground and away from the foundation. The crack is about 8ft off the house. My question is what is the best way to patch a 4 inch pvc drainage pipe?

drobson
04-05-2003, 12:18 PM
If it's just a small crack you can just seal it with PVC cement. If it's large then you can just cut it out and use a small piece of PVC with 2 couplers to fix it. I've done both with no problems.

turfsolutions
04-05-2003, 12:27 PM
It is a small hole about 1.5 inches in diameter so it can't be sealed. I thought about cutting a small piece and using 2 couplers like you said, however, if both ends are fixed and can't move, how do I attach both ends without digging the whole pipe up to the downspout?

Rhett
04-05-2003, 12:37 PM
Check out the nearest ace or plumbing store for a sleeve with two clamps on it. Use a regular coupler on one end and the sleeve on the other. Get the pipe as close as possible and aligned in the sleeve to avoid any snags that could give the home owner problems in the future.

NCSULandscaper
04-06-2003, 01:32 AM
if its 4" corogated(sp?) then just go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a coupling to connect 2 pieces of pipe together. If its just a crack some black electrical tape works just fine. But id just cut the pipe and install a coupling.

AGLA
04-06-2003, 09:28 AM
Rhett is giving good advice. Your pipe is not carrying water under pressure. It is the simplest and best way to go.

KenH
04-06-2003, 09:36 AM
If both ends can be moved, just cut out about 1.5 ' of the broken section, and place a coupling on each side. Then cut a new length of PVC about 2 " shorter than what you would need. You can slide this length into one end of the coupling and then slide it into the other end. The new length will not fit all the way into the couplings, but enough to make it work. We have done this before, but I am having a hard time explaining it.:mad: