PDA

View Full Version : Program damages QB database

HBFOXJr
04-05-2003, 11:31 AM
WARNING: A program I downloaded on Monday 3/31/03 apppears to have damaged my QuickBooks database.

The program is called Ad Aware 6.0 personal version from Lavasoft. It is designed to keep spyware programs out of your pc. A previous version caused no problems. As best as I can ascertain is it uses Microsoft Visual Studio .NET. Loaded on the same pc as QB it can mess stuff up.

Fortunately, backups prevail and I needed them. It happened twice this week when performing a certain function (unknown). Back ups solved the problem with little info lost but it must have cost me over a day in total time fighting with the aggravation plus my wifes time to redo lost info.

ksland
04-05-2003, 02:58 PM
You obviously didn't look at the list of potential problems before you to it to fix them. It tells you exactly what it will do before hand, you are supposed to read that stuff you know. Having said that I have damaged quite a few programs before with a similar program called sybot search and destroy.

williamslawn
04-06-2003, 12:11 AM
Harold

If you want to stop those pop up ads try Norton's Internet Security 2003. It works a lot better than adware.

HBFOXJr
04-06-2003, 09:30 AM
It wasn't for pop ups. I use ad-subtract from Mcafee for pop up stoppage. This program stops the spyware stuff that tracks where and when you go on the web and feeds info back to vendors and subscribers. It runs a lot of little processes in the background slowing down computer speed and sending out info on you.