PDA

View Full Version : sulky worthy

lawnbgone
04-05-2003, 03:15 PM
I'm new to lawnsite.com. My son and I are starting out small,however; I'm 55 years old and my knees can't take the frantic pace of our new Bunton walk behind. My question is:
Can a sulky pull a 250 lb. guy around all day without straing the engine of our 15 horse power machine? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ksland
04-05-2003, 03:21 PM
What size deck does it have and is it hydro or belt? Either way it would pull okay, some instances better than others. Definitely get a 2 wheeled sulky

lawnbgone
04-06-2003, 08:13 AM
Thanks for your information. We have a 48" deck with belt drive.Most of our customers have small,flat lots. Is there any particular brand that better than most and why ? Thanks again for your info.

Doc Pete
04-06-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by lawnbgone
I'm new to lawnsite.com. My son and I are starting out small,however; I'm 55 years old and my knees can't take the frantic pace of our new Bunton walk behind. My question is:
Can a sulky pull a 250 lb. guy around all day without straing the engine of our 15 horse power machine? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'm 53 and I'm not really sure how to answer that question. IMO, if you knees are "hurting" from walking, then you may not get any relief from the velky, and may be forced into a rider. However, I as have found, if you are getting "just plain tired knes" from walking so many lawns, than yes, the velky will fix you up right quick.
Pete

djsmokin
04-06-2003, 09:51 AM
If you are just starting your business you might get by for while with a walk behind but once you get serveral accounts I think you will find you need to sit when possible.

I am 52 and have a bad knee. I had to get a rider to make it. There is still alot of walking even with a rider, but it helps alot.

paponte
04-06-2003, 10:21 AM
I am a youngin', but I don't believe in putting a velke on a belt drive. Just my opinion. I find with belt drives, you have to jump on and off it too much when you make turns. Also with velkes you have to bend your knees often, and hitting bumps may be hard on your knees as well. Guess the best advice would be to try it. As many stated, a sit down might be the way to go. :cool:

paponte
04-06-2003, 10:24 AM
To edit my last post....

After I REALLY read the thread, you said sulky... not velke. I have never used a sulky. Sorry. :sleeping:

ed's lawn service
04-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Which type of sulky is better, swivel or rigid? I just bought a 48" MTD Pro walkbehind and was wondering which would be better. Thanks...:D

Doc Pete
04-07-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by ed's lawn service
Which type of sulky is better, swivel or rigid? I just bought a 48" MTD Pro walkbehind and was wondering which would be better. Thanks...:D

The rigid velky shows it stuff with a Hydro. I can be used with a belt drive but is less efficient with a belt drive, plus the swivel works better with the beltdrive.........

gogetter
04-07-2003, 10:54 PM
Hey LawnBgone, what part of PA are you from?

Check on ebay, there's some less expensive sulkies on there usually.

lawnbgone
04-10-2003, 05:35 PM
To gogetter:
We are from Aston, PA. (near I - 95 and route 452)
Thanks for the tip about e-bay.

PaulJ
04-11-2003, 10:57 AM
Well I'm in my mid 30's but I have had BAD knees since junior high, they kept me out of sports and I suffer whenever I have to climb a lot of stairs or kneel down or sit for a long time. The walking didn't bother my knees to much but me feet did get pretty tired. I now have a jungle wheels sulky on a belt drive walkbehind. and I use it 90% of the time. It doesn't bother my knees a bit even though they take most of the jolts. I think it helps me that my knees are moving some al the time as opposed to just sitting.

For a belt drive a trailer type sulky is better. Mine actually turns easier with the sulky than without. the Velkie brand spins around when you step off to back up so it doesn't jackknife.
For a hydro machine I would try a fixed sulky so you don't have to step off at all.

There are a couple companies that make seat attachments for their stand up sulkies.

lawnbgone
04-11-2003, 08:07 PM
Paul. Thanks for the info. I drove to Wilmington, Del. and purchased a swivel model from a company by the name of
HAVENER ENTERPRISES, INC. I can't wait to try it out this week.Thanks again.

PaulJ
04-12-2003, 12:42 AM
Let us know how it works out . That's the brand I'm leaning toward for my next hydro wb. What are you mounting it on??

tiedeman
04-17-2003, 01:47 AM
we found out a big mistake last year...ruined the trans in one of our belt driven mowers because of a sulky and JRCO attachment in the front. Lucky it still under warranty. Would have cost us over $300. It you are going to get a sulky, I would suggest putting it on a hydro.

Paradise Landscapes
06-04-2003, 09:40 AM
How would it hurt on a belt drive unit?

I use it on my 1995 eXmark.

lawnbgone
06-11-2003, 11:07 PM
Exactly...We have used our new sulky and so far, no problems.My son weighs 250 lbs. and on reasonably flat lawns,it pulls him around okay. Our kawasaki 15 HP. and Bunton extra wide drive belt is holding up. Keep ya posted and Thanks for your reply.

Make money while the sunshines