PDA

View Full Version : Retaining wall pricing, again

conepile
04-05-2003, 04:54 PM
I know these type of questions can be tiresome, but my search did not yield the results I was seeking.

This is related to a question I had in November, http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35738

The client did did decide he wanted a retaining wall, and he wants the Belgard Celtic wall. The dimensions will be one wall at approximately 60 linear feet, and two feet high, on a slope, and a second wall behind it approximately 25 linear feet, and 1 foot high. Given the slope (it slopes down and then turns back up into the hill around the corner of the house), I estimate approximately 110 square feet of face above grade.

I figured I'd order 132 sq/ft face of material, plus 90 linear feet of cap, and 6 tons of base and backfill (plus adhesive, drain tile, fabric).

Am I far off here? Also, pricing: I know this product is expensive, but I frankly don't know what is considered a fair margin. I don't normally do walls, but I figure I should (theoretically) be able to complete this in two or three days. If I come to him and say $4200, is this reasonable, too low, too high? To me, I wouldn't want to pay that much for a wall like this.

One other thing, I'm looking for less-expensive alternatives and could use some suggestions. Previous posts suggested Keystone (too big) and Anchor. Any others? The Anchor product is available at a local discount home supply, and I'm concerned about the appearance of charging a premium price and using a product that may be associated with the low end (I'm not saying Anchor is low end. Do you understand what I mean?).

Any help is appreciated, as I am to present the quote to the client this week..

conepile
04-11-2003, 09:18 PM
My client had to leave town on business, so I have a little more time.

Can anyone offer some insight? Is my pricing in a reasonable ballpark? Any suggestions for alternatives for using Belgard Celtik Wall?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

SCL
04-11-2003, 09:38 PM
Price seems reasonable though I have no clue about Belgard. Are you allowing enough material to bury a block for base? I'm getting 145 face feet and your ordering 132 + cap. So I think you might be light. Bout all I can add.